Denon AH-D7000
Dec 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #301 of 7,464
I think CNET reviews are rarely taken seriously but the CNET UK guys don't seem too bad they even mentioned that they use a Woo Audio 2 as one of their reference amps so they can't be too dumb, of course like any review I took it with a grain of salt.

Anyway here is my quick impression of AH-D7000 after having had it for like 1.5-2 weeks:
The bass extension really is off the charts, headroom was right about that I have never heard bass extension like it. The bass itself has plenty of impact but it is controlled and doesn't take away from the rest of the music, I hate bass overpowering things so it would be a deal breaker if it did (this is with no mods and I don't plan to mod it in the future).

The treble has a good amount of sparkle and air, plenty of clarity and extension very impressive. The midrange is smooth and warm but I do feel like the treble and bass are the strong points of this headphone (this is about the best treble and bass I've heard but mids are done better on other headphones I used to own: DT880, MS-Pro, K501). Forgot to add, the midrange is not bad by any means just that I was more blown away by the bass/treble.

The soundstage is wide and spacious for a closed can, but not on the same level as say the k701 which I thought had the widest soundstage.

The detail is good, the sound is very natural and it covers all the "hifi" bases but I think the main point of these phones is to just enjoy the music. The sound is very musical and exciting, not analytical at all. Even though it is closer to bright than dark it is not a bright phone it is very non-fatiguing.

I've owned a lot of different headphones over the years, and this is now the best one I've heard my former favorite was a tie between the MS-Pro and DT880.

Oh and a couple quick things: I bought mine off ebay for about 725/730 plus 8% cashback so check ebay once in awhile a lot of chances for great deals, especially if live cashback goes back up.

On the debate of solid state vs tubes for denons, solid state wins for me hands down. The tube amp I had (it is now up for sale) is the ASL OTL32 and it did a great job with the RS-1 and SA5000 but the Gilmore Lite just works much better with the D7000. Could be a synergy thing too though since the D7000s are warm and my source is warm throwing tubes in there could be too much.

Anyway that was my impression of the AH-D7000, thanks to hawat and Gu Sensei for their previous posts about it which helped me make the decision to buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #306 of 7,464
These ahd5000's and 7000's are liek gold if your trying to buy below retail.
I found some 5000's for 420.00 US and they should be here by Friday. Am I always going to wonder if I should have held out for the 7000's or is the price difference not worth getting the 7000's

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #307 of 7,464
uff ... there are many reviews here, but I dont read them before I wrote this ...

The Denon AH-D7000 are in the house now, I got him for a test from the Austrian distributor for two weeks .....

A short report .... driven by Graham Slee green Solo (potentiometer 8..9 h)

Very good, noble building and design, cable spiteful, loose contact to the head, closed design but poor damping for noises outside, noble case, ...

Hearing with PF, Final Cut, CD / Mussorgsky, Picture of a Exhibition, SACD / Eva Cassidy, Live At Blues Alley, CD / Marianne Faithful, Blazing Away, CD

Final Cut
Treble - very good, more corpus
Bass - deep, more pressure, sometimes a very little bit booming

Picture of a Exhibition
very impressing, express the deep and the darkness

Live At Blues Alley + Blazing Away
Bass - deep, more pressure, sometimes a very little bit booming

I cannot say if the sometimes very little bit booming bass a lapse of the headphone or from the sound board operator.

With the AKG K701/702 this are not so in evidence.

More coming during X-Mas holiday :p

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #308 of 7,464
Maybe you need some time to adapt
smily_headphones1.gif

There is a huge difference in the bass between the k701 and the d7000.
I think bass are supposed to sound more like what the d7000 does.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #309 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need some time to adapt
smily_headphones1.gif

There is a huge difference in the bass between the k701 and the d7000.
I think bass are supposed to sound more like what the d7000 does.

Yes I agree - after quick change to K701/702 the bass look likes thin (I match the potentiometer to the same loudness), after some times my ear and brain adapt to the AKG soundstage
k701smile.gif

Impatient to the German Audio magazine I cannot say who is the better headphone till today - the test will going on
k701smile.gif

One headphone is interested to compare too - the revised Grado SR325i
The German Audio magazine rate them as the same as the D7000

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #310 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I agree - after quick change to K701/702 the bass look likes thin (I match the potentiometer to the same loudness), after some times my ear and brain adapt to the AKG soundstage
k701smile.gif

Impatient to the German Audio magazine I cannot say who is the better headphone till today - the test will going on
k701smile.gif

One headphone is interested to compare too - the revised Grado SR325i
The German Audio magazine rate them as the same as the D7000

"revised Grado SR325i" as in a new SR325i or are you talking about the 325 vs 325i versions?

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #311 of 7,464
Dec 16, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #312 of 7,464
Well, after my very positive experience with D2000 (unmoded, but D5000 cables are on order, and I'm making wooden cups for them) I'm sure D7000 will be in my collection some time next year when the price calms down hopefully. I wont proclaim myself as a fanboy since i don't like that term and people who refer them self as that, I'm just really starting to like this company; but i wont limit my self on them only of course, there's just so many interesting products from couple of others too
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #314 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnjee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are little difference between
D7000 and D5000.
I miss the leather earpads.

Do you have both? It seems like nobody has both headphones or that people have only heard both headphones at meets. If you do have both, even if the differences are small, could you talk about them?

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #315 of 7,464
At the current pricing I would be surprised if anyone would have both. I haven't even recieved my 5000's yet, but I don't think that I will be getting the 7000's unless there is a significant price drop.(where the 5000's are now)

I'm always going to have to wonder if the 7000's are $300.00 more superior.
But I Guess I'll have the leather and not Pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back