Denon AH-D5000 or Klipsch Image ONE On-Ear Earphones? Help a newbie please!
Feb 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 22
Ok, you come from a HV/1A.
These headphones are flat and musical sounding headphones without mid-bass thump. Hardly accurate, very fast and precise in the bass and the full spectrum. Somewhat technically with some life and forward sounding.
The Denon are the full opposite. Smooth, intimate and in comparison slow, but with good controlled detail imaging on instrument separation, but not on music dynamic. The D2000 is boomy and the bass department not even refined, as on the Koss..
The ATH-M50 sounds by comparison too detailed, but not as good textured. Speed could be the same, but the Koss handle much more of texture variation trough longer decay times with better dynamic.

Grado is comparable to the KOSS HV/1A, but also more aggressive. 
The alternative from Koss with a clear step up is the A/250, or maybe the KDE/250.
With Sennheiser the HD-25 and AKG the K271. The Koss Signature is between them.

Even today the HV/1A outperforms very well low budget headphones. Not even an AKG K240 has a chance, if it comes on precision, accuracy, texturing, dynamic and body with musical life.
Ok, we should compare with respect musical phones with musical phones. ATH- A(D) X00. Not even as precise as the Koss, but with nice airy deep and wide soundstage. But boomy and uncontrolled bass, also recessed in bass and texturing without natural balance but better tonality and separation. On the other side with very bad dynamics and hasty hot signature. The ATH sounds more detail airy fun, the Koss more precise, music dynamic controlled.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 22

Quote:
OK I suggest you go have a listen to the Denon DN-HP700, I think they have a better sound than the D5000 and the M50. They offer a solid bass response with great thump and depth without being boomy (D5000), a more forward mid-range than the D5000 and M50, and better treble than both with no sibilance. The sound stage is not quite as big as the D5000 but better than the M50 and they have very nice instrument separation and detail. They haven't had a lot of attention on head-fi but I think they are extremely nice and all for only around $100 in the US!

I will say though I am basing this on a newer pair of M50's which may not be as bassy as the older model but the OP may also have a hard time finding a new pair of the old M50's.

I bought the HP700 as a possible portable option to my D7000 and I may end up actually liking it more! But won't commit to that just yet as they are still just breaking in. BTW |Joker| has the HP700 in his portable review thread and gave them a favorable review as well, my only change I would have compared to his review is that I would give them a 9 out of 10 for sound (but again that is without a full burn-in so I may change my mind on that plus or minus).

My good friend, you have committed so many acts of blasphemy in this post... I just don't know where to begin.
wink_face.gif

You've really got me curious about the HP700, and I hope someone brings a pair to our meet on Saturday. If so, I could be in for quite an awakening... or laugh. You know how much I love my M50 (ol'style) and D7k's. To think that there is another can to rule them all... at the cost of the M50... well, that's just crazy talk. But I know you're quite sane, so... you'll just have to keep us posted.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 22
Well guys/gals...

I want to thank you. I went ahead and placed my order for the D7000 and the Klisch Image One.

As far as amps, dacs, etc go... again the situation is that no one near me as anything so I can't try them out in person. I read differing views on the need for an amp with the Denon's. Some say they don't really need one and some say they do. Are the headphone jacks in CD players and AV receivers that bad? I'll be perfectly honest... I don't have a clue when it comes to these headphone amps, dacs, etc. The ideal thing for me would be to find something that would allow me to use it on both my desktop computer AND my home stereo system... plugged in to my CD player or AV receiver. Being portable would also be a plus I guess. Does something like that exist? An all in one solution is what I am looking for. :) Most people seem to say that Denon supposedly works best with solid state amps vs tube amps from what I've been reading. Looking for acceptable models in the low and mid-range price categories. The best bang for my buck. :) Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #19 of 22
OMG it took me 2/3 months to save up for my D5Ks, and you decide to just up and buy the D7Ks and Klisch Image Ones. I can't wait to graduate college and have tons of money to spend too 
frown.gif

Quote:
Well guys/gals...

I want to thank you. I went ahead and placed my order for the D7000 and the Klisch Image One.

As far as amps, dacs, etc go... again the situation is that no one near me as anything so I can't try them out in person. I read differing views on the need for an amp with the Denon's. Some say they don't really need one and some say they do. Are the headphone jacks in CD players and AV receivers that bad? I'll be perfectly honest... I don't have a clue when it comes to these headphone amps, dacs, etc. The ideal thing for me would be to find something that would allow me to use it on both my desktop computer AND my home stereo system... plugged in to my CD player or AV receiver. Being portable would also be a plus I guess. Does something like that exist? An all in one solution is what I am looking for. :) Most people seem to say that Denon supposedly works best with solid state amps vs tube amps from what I've been reading. Looking for acceptable models in the low and mid-range price categories. The best bang for my buck. :) Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 22
OK I think I was a bit to high on the new sound of the HP700 when I made some of my comments but only just a little. I don't think the HP700 is better than the D7000 but it does come close and for only $100 is a heck of a bargain and if you find the D7000 just a bit to recessed in the midrange then you might really like the HP700 more. I certainly find it better for some genre's. I also have to say for anyone wanting a D7000 like experience on a budget the HP700 will certainly give it to them. So I mostly stand by comments blasphemous or not!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back