Denon AH-D500 amp
May 28, 2012 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Orel

Head-Fier
Hey, I would like to buy an amp for a Denon AH-D500 at maximum 200 dollars. I was wondering, is this a good amp for them? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-I-Hybrid-Headphone-Amplifier-6JI-tube-standard-version-Preamp-NEW-/180728730657?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14459421 If not, could you suggest one?
Thank you.
Edit: If it dosen't fit here then move it, sorry.

May 28, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Yes, it is a great amp for D5000. Mine works well.

My Mk II is better and very under-rated IMO. However, I prefer the warm sound of tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-MK-2-II-Headphone-Amp-Amplifier-Pre-Amp-/190638409923?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2c62ef48c3

The LD I+ is a hybrid tube while the Mk II is an OTL (all tube driven) amp.

The Denon phones are driven easily, there will not be a volume problem with either amp.

Whatever amp you pick, you'll want to upgrade the stock tubes. These amps can produce excellent sound with upgraded tubes.

May 28, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 9
Thank you! Could you send me a link for good replacement tubes? :)

May 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Thank you! Could you send me a link for good replacement tubes? :)

For the LD I+........check eBay for British Mullard EF92, or EF91 or Russian [size=x-small]Voskhod[/size] 6J1P-EV.

There are swappable op amps for the LD I+ too.

For Mk II look for Russian 6N6P power tubes and the above driver tubes I mentioned for LD I+ (they also work in Mk II)

My Mk II has all Russian 6N6P power tubes and 6J1P-EV driver tubes........I love this combo.

There's a big thread on Little Dot tubes, op amps etc.. in the amps forum.

There's a whole slew of solid state amps in your price range too. I've had great experiences with Little Dot and have no reason to change. It could be you prefer solid state to tube or vice-versa, it seems to be a personal preference,

good luck!

May 28, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

For the LD I+........check eBay for British Mullard EF92, or EF91 or Russian [size=x-small]Voskhod[/size] 6J1P-EV.

There are swappable op amps for the LD I+ too.

For Mk II look for Russian 6N6P power tubes and the above driver tubes I mentioned for LD I+ (they also work in Mk II)

My Mk II has all Russian 6N6P power tubes and 6J1P-EV driver tubes........I love this combo.

There's a big thread on Little Dot tubes, op amps etc.. in the amps forum.

There's a whole slew of solid state amps in your price range too. I've had great experiences with Little Dot and have no reason to change. It could be you prefer solid state to tube or vice-versa, it seems to be a personal preference,

good luck!

I decided to  go with the MK II you sent, and thank you for your help :) Mind sending me a link of somewhere to purchase the Russian 6N6P power tubes? :)

May 28, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I decided to  go with the MK II you sent, and thank you for your help :) Mind sending me a link of somewhere to purchase the Russian 6N6P power tubes? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-MATCHED-QUAD-of-6N6P-GOLD-GRID-TUBES-ECC99-E182CC-/310402763328?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4845724a40

There are various sellers all out of Russia. I received 8 of these (probably not from the same seller) but I like to have spares on hand and the shipping cost usually is not more for more tubes.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with Mk II. Get the Russian 6J1P-EV too (matched if possible). The all Russian affair is just fantastic. I am running my HiFiman HE-400 and D5000 off the Mk II with awesome results. It drives Beyer 600 ohm phones well too. Very versatile amp, I am very happy with it, especially for the price. Enjoy!

Edit: For best results set all 4 gain switches inside to off (this will be a zero feedback state)

Also make sure your source is high quality and can feed the amp adequate voltage (2V if possible). The result will be very, very good.

May 28, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-MATCHED-QUAD-of-6N6P-GOLD-GRID-TUBES-ECC99-E182CC-/310402763328?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4845724a40

There are various sellers all out of Russia. I received 8 of these (probably not from the same seller) but I like to have spares on hand and the shipping cost usually is not more for more tubes.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with Mk II. Get the Russian 6J1P-EV too (matched if possible). The all Russian affair is just fantastic. I am running my HiFiman HE-400 and D5000 off the Mk II with awesome results. It drives Beyer 600 ohm phones well too. Very versatile amp, I am very happy with it, especially for the price. Enjoy!

Edit: For best results set all 4 gain switches inside to off (this will be a zero feedback state)

Also make sure your source is high quality and can feed the amp adequate voltage (2V if possible). The result will be very, very good.

Thank you very much for your help!

May 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Thank you very much for your help!

Your welcome. Keep in mind there are 2 revisions of the Mk II. If ordered new from Lttle Dot it is likely you will receive the new revision which will allow you to use a more powerful power tube if desired. They are more expensive though. You don't want to put one of those tubes in the older revision though.

I believe you will be very satisfied with 6N6P. It's an awesome tube. Besides, the Denon is very easily driven. If you decide to go to 600 ohm phones down the road, the beefier power tube may provide a bit more power.

There is alot of information about this in the amp forum. Little Dot has forums too and a great source for info. David is very good over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back