Denon AH-D1100 Modding
Nov 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

linuxid10t

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't seen a thread for modding the Denon AH-D1100 yet, so I feel I have to start one.  I have found a way to greatly reduce the bass to normal(ish) levels and bring forward the mids.  The steps are below, picture to come.

• Remove ear pads.  They are removal method is the same as the removal method for the Sennheiser HD5XX series headphones.
  • Locate bass ports.  They are at the top.  There are two of them and they are hard to miss.
  • Cut masking tape in the shape of the bass ports and apply it to them.
  • Put ear pads back on.
  • Enjoy D1100s with normal(ish) bass levels and halfway forward mids.

Over all, I think the sound is far, far superior after the mod.  I showed my friend and he agrees greatly with my conclusion.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 45
I know this thread has been quiet for some time.  I just got a pair of AH-D1100s and the bass is overpowering and boomy straight out of the box.  Based on information i found in some other threads, it would appear that some burn-in will tighten this up some over time.  In the meantime, I am using the bass reducer EQ setting on my Ipad, which makes the sound much more listenable and quite good to my ears.

Depending on how the sound turns out over time on my pair, and because this mod sounds very easy to do (and un-do), this mod intrigues me, and I would love to see some pictures as to exactly what was done.  Also interested in whether anyone else has attempted the mod and what their results were.  Finally, I'd like to hear how well the tape holds up over time; I would imagine that the constant vibration would loosen it up over time, and whether this would pose a problem.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 45
Hey, I'm still here.  Just never got the time to get the pictures then forgot about them.  I will try to post them tonight.

Quote:
I know this thread has been quiet for some time.  I just got a pair of AH-D1100s and the bass is overpowering and boomy straight out of the box.  Based on information i found in some other threads, it would appear that some burn-in will tighten this up some over time.  In the meantime, I am using the bass reducer EQ setting on my Ipad, which makes the sound much more listenable and quite good to my ears.

Depending on how the sound turns out over time on my pair, and because this mod sounds very easy to do (and un-do), this mod intrigues me, and I would love to see some pictures as to exactly what was done.  Also interested in whether anyone else has attempted the mod and what their results were.  Finally, I'd like to hear how well the tape holds up over time; I would imagine that the constant vibration would loosen it up over time, and whether this would pose a problem.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 45
Great, thanks very much!

If you still have the D1100s, would you mind commenting on how long you have had them, how much use they have gotten, and how you feel they sound to you after owning them for as long as you have?  Do you still use the mod?

Thanks again.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 45
I've had them for about a half a year now.  I use them pretty darn often.  I don't find them as horribly bassy as they were when I first got them, but without the mod, they are pretty darn bassy.  I think of them like this bass quantity wise Sony XB500 unmodded, Sennheiser HD203 modded.  This being said, IMO, they are light years ahead of either of those two.  They sound much more natural with the mod.  I have run without the mod lately because I have been listening to a lot of electronic music.  I use masking tape to close up the bass ports as I said above, but I want to mention that it is very important to use masking tape rather than something like duct tape.  Masking tape makes the process of modding and unmodding much easier.

Quote:
Great, thanks very much!

If you still have the D1100s, would you mind commenting on how long you have had them, how much use they have gotten, and how you feel they sound to you after owning them for as long as you have?  Do you still use the mod?

Thanks again.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 45

Quote:
Sorry, I keep forgetting about the pictures.  TONIGHT, I promise!  LMAO

Looking forward to it
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 45
Btw, have you tried with foam? Or did you just use masking tape? I think I got it right (the bassport are the with on top right? Put two small tapes over it, but it made the bass maybe more "muddy" and less controlled. Was thinking maybe that foam of some kind might do the trick.

I love the soundstage and imaging on these cans for portable use, but I would love them to death if they had a balanced bass...

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 45
You should notice quite a difference.  Make sure that the tape is sealing it properly.  I would suggest doing the mod to one cup and leaving the other one stock if you want to A/B them.  Sorry about not getting to the photos, that is what 40 hours a week of work and full time school will do to you.

Quote:
Ok, now I've tried the mod but I didn't hear any change in bass. Tried with masking tape.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 45

Quote:
You should notice quite a difference.  Make sure that the tape is sealing it properly.  I would suggest doing the mod to one cup and leaving the other one stock if you want to A/B them.  Sorry about not getting to the photos, that is what 40 hours a week of work and full time school will do to you.

np man, do it when you have the time. I will try to some more to get the right fit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back