Denon AH-C710 or Panasonic HJE900 or Radius DDM or ..
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kreeayetor

New Head-Fier
Need your help!
After going through many and many more threads here, more confused than ever!
(gone through ClieOS and ljokerl reviews too!)

Here are my choices.. please help me pick the best!
1. Senn IE7
2. Denon AH-C710
3. Pan HJE900
4. Head direct /Hifiman Re-Zero
5. Radius DDM
6. Fischer DBA-02
7. Audio technica ATH-CK10 (Max I could spend!)

I listen to a almost everything..lot of pop and hip hop, so bass is important.., but i am not sure if i am a bass head! But i do like a bit of thump in my music!
(Some examples Bruno Mars, Black eyed peas, Kylie Minogue, Daft punk, Norah Jones, Nelly, Metallica, Madonna)

I am also contemplating on buying either the Fiio E5 or E7 portable amp, which would be better?
And which of these earphones would benefit from an Amp?

My music source: Dell streak, iPod classic 80 GB, iPod nano
Please help!

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 11
The IE7 will have good bass but are a Mid-centric IEM from what I have read.
I own the Denon 560R which from my reading is similar to the 710 but I suspect the Denon 710 will have harder hitting bass and possibly more treble. This IEM is a classic V shaped sound signature. (bass and treble stronger than the mids)
From what I have read the Pana HJE900 is another classic V shaped sound  signature IEM.
RE-ZERO is a bass light IEM that strived for neutrality and detail.
Radius DDM (I used to own this one) has lots of bass with amazing texture and a warm detailed midrange. I found it's treble to be a bit lacking though. This IEM also is not very isolating and has cable noise issues so if meant to be truly portable for walking around and using in noisier environments it might not be a good choice. But if stationary is does offer one of the fuller sounds especially with an amp.
DBA2 from what I have read will be incredibly detailed with great mids and highs but may come across as bass light. It will have alot of similarities to the RE-Zero.
Don't know a lot about the ATH-CK10.

Fiio's I would suggest the E7 over the E5 by  a big margin.

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks dweaver.

So from your post, I suppose I can narrow it down to.. Denon 710 , Panasonic HJE900 and maybe the IE7.. however, would the IE8 be better if I could stretch my budget?

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 11
I think DDM or IE8 or FX700 are best suited for your taste. IE8 are very similar to DDMs but  cost so much more then DDM. (more then double).
If you got 350$ to spare then JVC  FX700 is another contender to IE8.
Another option is New Radius DDM21 coming out in March. Rumors say it will cost about 300US
But Dimitri from musicaAcoustics.com mentioned about a "Specials" for Headfi users on this new W21..

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks yello131
The JVC FX700 seems out of my budget..how is the JVC fx-1000 in comparison to the 700?

Maybe then I should wait till the new Radius comes out?
I have also read about the new Brainwavz B2 here... so I suppose I should just wait it out!

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 11
I have also owned the IE8 and liked it but did sell it in the end. It has great bass and pretty decent treble (all the detail is there but you do have to strain to hear it) and a nice but slightly veiled midrange. It's biggest point really is the very large sound-stage. Some people found the IE8 to be uncomfortable but I actually enjoyed it comfort wise. If it was $100 less expensive I would actually recommend it but it's MSRP is out of line with it's sound in my opinion, but if you can find a reliable used pair (BE VERY CAREFUL OF FAKES) they might be an option. Personally I would only buy used from Head-fi and only from a member with a lot of posts and a solid feedback rating and proof of purchase from an authorized reseller (yes fakes are so pervasive I wouldn't buy without the proof of purchase even from a head-fi member).

I will warn you the HJE and the 710 both have issues with sibilance at the beginning but they are both supposed to settle down with burn-in or usage. I will also say that my current preferred headphone/IEM brand is Denon so you can factor any bias I may have into my comments.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks dweaver!
I am now leaning towards the Denon 710 / DDM slightly..
but reading another thread got me thinking about the UE TF10s.. if you have heard them,how would you rate them against the Denon and DDM?
Sigh....this is getting tougher!!

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 11
I have also owned the TF10 and while I liked their bass mostly and liked their treble I found they just had to much of a recessed midrange for my tastes plus they were one of the hardest IEM's I have had froma fit perspective.

Actually they do remind of the fact I also own the SM3 and if you can get a good dealon a used pair, they might be a good fit for you as well. The bass is good for an armature based IEM, they have excellent midrange (one of the best midranges I have heard), and also a decent if somewhat veiled treble. My only issue with the SM3 was the treble but I do have to say I could listen to them all day without ever feeling fatigued. This is also a pair of IEM's I still own also which says a bit considering how many IEM's and headphones I have gone through in my time here on head-fi.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 11
I will need to look for Earsonics SM3 here in Hongkong, the couple of places I can check online dont seem to list them.
Will probably check them out this weekend!
Thanks again dweaver!

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Thanks yello131
The JVC FX700 seems out of my budget..how is the JVC fx-1000 in comparison to the 700?

Maybe then I should wait till the new Radius comes out?
I have also read about the new Brainwavz B2 here... so I suppose I should just wait it out!

Some one  mentioned here Jaben Honk Kong has SM3 available, Check them out.

Quote:
I will need to look for Earsonics SM3 here in Hongkong, the couple of places I can check online dont seem to list them.
Will probably check them out this weekend!
Thanks again dweaver!

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks a lot to everyone who posted here...helped me a lot. I have finally decided to go with the Panasonic HJE900 after reading many more reviews! Cheers! Will come back and post my impressions in a few days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back