Denon AH-A100 Headphones: Reviews/Impressions
Oct 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 171

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=10pt]Hi All[/size]

[size=10pt]I’ve had the pleasure of listening to the Denon AH-A100 100th anniversary limited edition/production headphones at the Manchester Hi-Fi show in the UK over the weekend. I had my iPod [Latest] with myself on that day so I could give you impressions running them straight-off the headphone out on the iPod. On the other hand they had the D5000s connected to one of the decent integrated amplifier being fed by a decent transporter and everything’s being Denon [It’s a Denon block BTW].[/size]

[size=10pt]Sound: One word, outstanding. I’ve never ever had such an experience with my iPod headphone out. It’s decent with the rest of my gear but with 100s it’s marvelous. I’ve checked pretty much every genre a part from classical. Led Zeppelin was amazing, Miles Davis was phenomenal and trance/techno is something to die for. I’ll start with the bass presentation. It’s something special. Tight, absolutely defining, taut, deep and possibly whatever you name it and it’s got it. Mids are perfect. They aren’t pronounced or laid back, just liquid and smooth textured. Highs/Treble is again sort of got a very high-end feel to it. It’s quite extended with no signs of roll-off. And believe me, this is all out of an iPod headphone out (Which is neutral and perfect to my taste). Then I compared it to D5000s which were on demonstration as well. This time I’ve used the high-end integrated amplifier output. To my ears, 100s blow 5000s in every possible aspect. Everything sounds amazing through 100s compared to 5000s. The only caveat could be that you won’t get an expansive soundstage as compared to HD800s or similar sort. But I could live that. They didn’t have 7000s on demo which I really wanted to compare these to.[/size]

[size=10pt]Comfort: Well it’s a limited edition and production piece which marks the 100 year Denon statement. Absolute luxurious feel to it whether you’re holding them or wearing them. It comes in a nice looking box with velvet cloth. Comfort is really really good. I could wear them for hours together. Even cable length is nice at 1.3m which is handy for mobile use. Feels like you’re holding a collectible piece.[/size]

[size=10pt]Something’s aren’t meant to be heard. Now, I’ve got spoilt by its signature and presentation. I really would like to have these as my only dynamic pair. I am trying to source these from the states through one of my friends. The Denon person said they are only getting about 100 pairs of these and would only be available at selected dealers in the UK. They carry a £500 price in the UK but they are only $500 in the states. And the 5 year warranty is worldwide. And sorry about creating another thread as the other thread is full of speculations and predictions.[/size]

[size=10pt]Cheers[/size]

[size=10pt]Ven[/size]

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 171
Oh no! This is not good news for my wallet!

Must resist.....must resist........
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 171
but can they ship to canada???
tried crutchfield   seems liek ti only ship within US.....

Audiocubie seems ship to canada. but it price at 599>>> + shipping.. abit too much..
 if it is 500 + shipping. i order now.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 171
Hi All

Well they are really comfortable.Quite similar to the Bose AE Triport headphones (Fit-wise and comfort-wise). Pretty lightweight. Pretty good isolation as well.

There are a few dealers in the Canada who will be getting these 100th anniversary products. I am trying to source one through my cousin who is in Toronto.

Just check Denon's 100th anniversary website and they've got the list of their picked dealers for these limited edition products.

Ven

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 171
so are they foldable?...portable Cans?

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 171
interesting.

based on shape, and design, they look very similar to the new 1001's.  could just be the pictures, though. 

you've got me thinking about sending my new D5000's back to J&R and getting a pair of these instead!  I really like these D5000's, though.  so if the 100's are smaller (form-factor) than 5000's AND sound better...I'll have to give the $100 upgrade serious consideration.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #15 of 171

Quote:
interesting.

based on shape, and design, they look very similar to the new 1001's.  could just be the pictures, though. 

you've got me thinking about sending my new D5000's back to J&R and getting a pair of these instead!  I really like these D5000's, though.  so if the 100's are smaller (form-factor) than 5000's AND sound better...I'll have to give the $100 upgrade serious consideration.

Well don't take my word for it. Have an audition yourself and then decide. Trust your own ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back