Denon AH-7200
Feb 2, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #332 of 3,166
Specs wise they are slightly less efficient than D7000 - 105 vs. 108 dB/mW. Impedance is the same at 25 ohm. Very easy to drive volume-wise - my Teac UD-301 has no problems with it using the headphone output.

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #334 of 3,166
I agree with LinkPro about the headband on this. I think some with larger heads could (potentially) find fit a problem. 

I'm 6ft and have what I think is about an average sized head and I have the slider extended to the sixth position out of nine. One nice touch is that Denon have added numbered markings to the back of the sliders so very quick to re-adjust them and extend to your preferred size.

The box is nothing special as mentioned. Essentially the same box as that used for the Denon MM400. Not a bad thing per se as a fancy box adds to the cost and likely gets relegated to a cupboard shortly after arrival.

Materials, construction etc. are imho better than the TH-X00 and Denon's own MM400. Not extravagant but quite premium feeling and looking.

Like the Fostex cables the cable is very good but is a bit of a skipping rope (3m). Being able to remove it is very welcome and helps to remove kinks etc. and for storage. Connectors fit into the headphones smoothly and create a nice solid connection.

With a lot of folk using DAPs or other portable devices for their listening these days I'd perhaps have liked to have seen a shorter cable included too or alternatively just a shorter cable + 1m extension lead. 3 metres feels a bit 'old school'.

Comfort is excellent (assuming no fit issues). Had mine on for six hours solid last night and my ears didn't get overly warm of uncomfy. The headband does apply some slight downward pressure to the top of the head and my ears do make contact with the cloth that sits over the driver grilles but not annoyingly so.

Mids and highs not really standing out for me at this point but they don't do a whole lot wrong either. Bass is superb though and although elevated doesn't have the mid-bass boost of something like the TH-X00, so no real bleed into the mid-range that I can hear. Seems to result in a bit less intimacy / thickness and a bit more openness and room for things to 'breathe'.

I'm not sure if there is a slight bump lower down or simply that the bass extends very low in a linear fashion with minimal roll off. Either way it is very well done...but not overdone!

I think someone mentioned a French reviewer feeling they were too warm coloured sounding. I don't hear it myself and think they sound fairly natural.

So far so good!

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #336 of 3,166
I'm frankly glad there is just a basic box - the key stuff is the headphone and how it sounds. 

We need an audition tour for these...............any of you vendors reading this thread? 

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #338 of 3,166
Pop to London and have a listen lol

Sounds like a plan!  I'll plan it around a home game at Stamford Bridge...................and buy you a pint! 

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #341 of 3,166
Will listen to these this evening. Can't offer any valid comparison. The T5p 2G loaner was sent back recently. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #342 of 3,166

It's 2017. Most users need a shortie. Denon highlighted/marketed AH-D7200 3m cable as special (O2 free/high pure copper content) and contributor to AH-D7200 sound quality, so users buying affordable short cable will not get the sound quality Denon designed in unless they pony-up for expensive aftermarket shortie with specs/materials to match the 3m.

Beyerdynamic 718637 cable (1,4M, OCC Copper) will fit perfectly I think.

I'm planning to buy one if the Denon fits my expectations.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #344 of 3,166
Both connectors compared.

Beyer T1 2G/T5P 2G in all black vs
AH-D7200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back