Denon AD-H 1100 vs Bose Quiet Comfort 15
Jul 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ahmedwk

New Head-Fier
I am completely new to this headphone frenzy. I am planning on a VERY LONG TRIP to Australia next month so I started checking local stores for sound-isolating headphones.
I eliminated all except two. I know some will say they are completely different and it's like comparing apples to oranges but here they are:
1. Bose QC-15: The best noise cancelling headphone.
2. Denon AD-H 1100

the problem is the huge difference in price. the Bose costs 350$ (Amazon 300$) while the Denon costs 135$ (Amazon 200$).
So the price is like three times. I really want to go for Denon. but I don't want to get it then discover on my trip that it was a bad choice for traveling.

Anybody can advise whether Denon is suitable for air travel? or do i need a specialized headphone with active noise-cancellation like QC-15?

sorry for blabbering too much.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 12
thanks. but I will get the Bose QC-15 too because the main purpose is for travel.
Also I feel that I am not getting the most of my headphones. Their performance in shop was superior to my own computer. do i need to upgrade my sound card? or add an amplifier.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 12
well a amplifier would helps most headphones at least sound a little better, but if you iphone sounds better then your computer, what about getting a portable amp/dac, like the fiio e17. it should be a great improvment from your computer and you can also use is with your iphone with a fiio l3 cable

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 12
thanks sonic. ur help is great.
Yesterday I got Sound Blaster Audigy and yes.. the difference is amazing.
Unfortuatenly i couldn't find fiio models in local shops, so I will research the available portable amp / dac and get one too . I think I already started the path of Audio Fanatic :D

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 12
happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Instead of spending so much on the Bose have you thought about some of audio Technica'a NC offerings? I have the ANC7 an find them to be very good for plane use (may not beat the Bose in NC but it is still good at what it does and sounds better - I even prefer the sound to the D1100 but that's due to my own preferences). Anyway they do the job at a cheaper cost and with better build quality. AT currently has the ANC7B and the new ANC9 which is worth considering.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 12
rather than trying to cancel the noise thru circuitry, look into iems (in ear monitors) to physically block the sound, get the best sound quality, and the ultimate in portability.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
rather than trying to cancel the noise thru circuitry, look into iems (in ear monitors) to physically block the sound, get the best sound quality, and the ultimate in portability.

Agreed, this is really the best way to go if you are okay with using IEMs. Using my Etymotic HF3 gives me the best experience when on a flight or train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back