Denon 2000 okay for me?
Oct 21, 2010 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DarkEnergy

New Head-Fier
My first pair of audiophile headphones, Sennheisers HD555, broke a few months back after a year and a half of use. Despite taking the utmost care of it, it started cracking at the point where the right ear cup met the hadband, and eventually separated. After some googling, I found out that a lot of people had reported similar experiences, and pointed to what many called a design flaw in the headphone.

Now I'm in the market for a new pair of audiophile headphones, and for obvious reasons the HD555 isn't on my list. The biggest issue for me, believe it or not, isnt sound quality or comfort or any of that, but durability. The reason for this is that I live in Pakistan, and audiophile headphones basically have no market here. So I'm having my brother, who lives in the USA and plans on visiting soon, bring me a pair. Durability is important because:

1) I dont want to be replacing headphones every year
2) Should it break, its going to be a real problem for me to even use the warantee to get replacement parts or to get it fixed

At this point I can manage a pair that costs $200-250. Scouring the internet I've come to the conclusion that the Denon 2000 is probably the best bet in this price range. What scares me, though, is that in the pictures I've seen of it, the joints between the headband and the ear cups look flimsy. I haven't read reports of it breaking too easily, but I'm still a bit anxious. Do you guys think I should go ahead and purchase the Denons?

If not, any other recommendations? I've been looking at Beyers 770/880/990 as well.

My headphone usage, in order of importance, is:

1) Music, mostly rock with some metal and pop (and I love bass)
2) Movies
3) A couple of video games

I might or might not buy a headphone amp down the line, but for now, I want the headphone to have a low enough impedance to be powered off my desktop computer without an amp.

I will not be using them with my ipod or any other portable device. Exclusively for use with my computer.

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 6
I have experience with both the dt880 and the d2000. The dt880 really, really needs an amp to sound their full potential. Without an amp, it sounds unimpressive and lifeless. I would definitely not recommend these headphones driven by an mp3 player or on board sound card. 

The d2000 needs an amp to sound its best, but I think it can get away with computer out. I feel that the dt880 needs an amp more. 

Sound wise, I like both the dt880 and d2000. they are definitely different sounding headphones. If you want a pair of neutral headphones that does everything well, then the dt880 will be for you. The d2000 is warmer and bassier headphones. They are not as neutral as the dt880, but many times I find myself enjoying the d2000 more. Some may say the d2000 has too much bass, making it sound muddy; I think the bass is still clean and detailed.

For movies and games, I think the d2000 would be a very good choice. Though for games the soundstage might be a little small. But the bass is very good, so it makes movies and games feel more impactful. 

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 6
Great choice for all the reasons/music you listed...but maybe not the most durable.  They are heavy and I wouldn't want to ever drop them, and they have been known to drop screws (yu can fix that though by either putting tape over each screw hole or using Locktite or something similar on them).  They won't just fall apart on you if you take care of them, but I could easily see catastrophe if they hit the floor or something. That said, they are easy to drive even without an amp, and if you are careful and use them exclusively at your computer they will be fine.   
The Beyers you list are all excellent phones...built like tanks and full of German engineering know-how.  They are harder to drive properly though, and if you are going un-amped they will not be sounding their best.  They are probably the most comfortable for long sessions (I found the Denons made my ears sweaty, and their heavinesswas also an issue).

Have you looked into Grados?  The Prestige Series SR325is is right up your alley, budget-wise, durability-wise, easy to drive, and they are GREAT phones for the uses/music you listed.  You might not like the earpads for long listening sessions because some people find them itchy, but they are cheap pads that are easily replaced.  In fact, I'd say go ahead and get a spare set when/if you get them.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 6

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'd like to clarify that in my search for the best headphone deal, I've come across the fact that Beyers 770, 880 and 990 series come in different varieties based on impedance. The lowest they go is 32ohms. Shouldnt my computer be able to power these adequately without an amp?

Assuming the answer is yes, which series (7, 8, or 9) is most apt for my usage? And more importantly, how do these stack up against the Denon?

Thanks again!

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 6
NO! Your computer isn't enough to drive even the 32 ohm versions of any of the Beyers. Don't let the low impedance fool you, they need lots of juice to shine. The same applies for the D2000.
If durability is a concern I suggest you look into the Sennheiser HD25-1 II
They are easily the most durable cans money can buy. But wait, there's more...they sound incredible! Even out of a lowly iPod.
They go well with your music genres. They are not as bass heavy as the D2000 or DT990, but the bass is there when asked for and it's very tight and impactful. The only con I can think of is wearing comfort, some people find them uncomfortable after a while because of the on-ear design. I personally have had no problems with it, but then, I never wear them for more than 3 hours.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'd like to clarify that in my search for the best headphone deal, I've come across the fact that Beyers 770, 880 and 990 series come in different varieties based on impedance. The lowest they go is 32ohms. Shouldnt my computer be able to power these adequately without an amp?

Assuming the answer is yes, which series (7, 8, or 9) is most apt for my usage? And more importantly, how do these stack up against the Denon?

Thanks again!

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 6
You might also want to consider the ATH-M50. I think their build quality is excellent. They have a very good sound and for the price are hard to beat. They are driven easily by laptop or iPod.
I find them very comfortable and are reasonably good at isolation. These are great little multi-purpose cans.
They have a large fan base here, and it's for a very good reason.

And... they do rock well.

BTW... I agree with the above statement. Forget the Beyers. Even the 32 ohm will not prove good for your purposes.

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back