Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 19, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,666 of 1,845
I should have linked, is that a DDC will be more beneficial if you are using a computer as a source. There’s not much benefit is you are already using a streamer (unless your streamer is particularly noisy, or you are using an old DAC with a sub-par clock).

What if I use a Bluetooth converter (aliexpress $50 for qualcomm CSR8675) - optics - behringer DEQ2496 - pontus 2?
Do I need a DDC?

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #1,667 of 1,845
I should have linked, is that a DDC will be more beneficial if you are using a computer as a source. There’s not much benefit is you are already using a streamer (unless your streamer is particularly noisy, or you are using an old DAC with a sub-par clock).

What if I use a Bluetooth converter (aliexpress $50 for qualcomm CSR8675) - optics - behringer DEQ2496 - pontus 2?
Do I need a DDC?

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #1,668 of 1,845
Gotham 85055 power cable is now available.

The plugs are gold-plated, but I plan to use them for a while to see how they work together.

Gotham 85055(5.5sq=10AWG)
Gotham 85025 (2.5sq)

Alvin has previously stated that they use 85025.
Does anyone have any experience with the changes in power supply thickness?
85055 gold plated vs. 85025 Malinco unplated.

The 85055 gives the impression that the bass is greatly expanded and filled in.
The 85025 is more enjoyable for vocals, and I like it very much.

In total, I liked the 85025 and plan to try it on the Aresii.

Bendability is also a very good point.(๑╹◡╹)

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #1,670 of 1,845
I hooked up Chord signature power. And its great. Makes the highs transparent airy and extends with deep bass. Does interconnects or powercables make the most impaxt on the Pontus ?

I got a great improvement with power cables.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #1,671 of 1,845
I just watches this. Pontus vs terminator.
Guess im getting a little poorer soon

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #1,672 of 1,845
Friend of mine recently acquired a Yggdrasil DAC to compare against my Denafrips Pontus. We conducted blind A/B tests, alternating between the two using a switch box while the other listened critically.

I correctly identified the DACs about 90% of the time; my friend scored around 75% accuracy. Our precision improved with critical listening experience over time. To eliminate bias, we sometimes repeated the same DAC consecutively.

The Pontus rendered vocals with superior edge definition and a more forward presence. It also exhibited greater body in the midbass region. However, the Yggdrasil conversely retrieved minute low-level information in the deepest sub-bass with aplomb. Additionally, the Yggdrasil projected a marginally more expansive soundstage.

I don't think there is a winner here.

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #1,673 of 1,845
Friend of mine recently acquired a Yggdrasil DAC to compare against my Denafrips Pontus. We conducted blind A/B tests, alternating between the two using a switch box while the other listened critically.

I correctly identified the DACs about 90% of the time; my friend scored around 75% accuracy. Our precision improved with critical listening experience over time. To eliminate bias, we sometimes repeated the same DAC consecutively.

The Pontus rendered vocals with superior edge definition and a more forward presence. It also exhibited greater body in the midbass region. However, the Yggdrasil conversely retrieved minute low-level information in the deepest sub-bass with aplomb. Additionally, the Yggdrasil projected a marginally more expansive soundstage.

I don't think there is a winner here.
Nice, which specific Yggy and Pontus models were used?

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #1,674 of 1,845
Nice, which specific Yggy and Pontus models were used?
Yggy A2, OG, unison
Pontus 2 (non-12th ann) most recent updated software

We also threw in some NOS/OS filter mode tests. It seems we did guess correctly but I think it was just luck, and honestly am not sure I hear a difference.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #1,675 of 1,845
FWIW, these were my friend’s Yggy vs Pontus impressions. He’s got the Yggy and borrowed my Pontus.

Yggy A2, OG, unison
Pontus 2 - original firmware

• The Pontus communicates more tonal color. The Pontus is better at presenting all parts of the music with balance. The Pontus also presents with more reverb.
  • The Yggy is more emphatic in how it conveys pace. The Pontus seems more realistic in its pace.
  • The Pontus sounds more relaxed and laid back in its presentation, but has a greater range than the Yggy in being able to convey more or less pace or vary its presentation in line with the emotional intensity of the music being played

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #1,677 of 1,845
Good afternoon! Does Pontus support the DoP format? If so, what will be displayed on the front panel if I play SACD (DSD64) packaged in PCM(DoP) over any digital interfaces?
>what will be displayed on the front panel if I play SACD (DSD64)
SACDP digital output is limited to "44.1khz".
"48khz" digital output is restricted due to copyright protection.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,680 of 1,845
Good afternoon! Does Pontus support the DoP format? If so, what will be displayed on the front panel if I play SACD (DSD64) packaged in PCM(DoP) over any digital interfaces?
DSD64 (DoP) is packed in 24/176.4kHz PCM frames. The same with SACD player if it supports this feature over S/PDIF interface.

And now you can evaluate the answer. If Pontus do not understand DoP format (which I doubt), it will display 176k and play noise. If it does, it will decode and say, it is DSD!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back