Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #1,606 of 1,845
Certain brands give such proprietary solution (Chord?). Dual sockets on a DDC / DAC and support in firmware for channel aggregation. Do you have dual sockets on Pontus?

It doesn't make much sense having I2S anyway.
Yes, Pontus2 has two AES/EBU inputs and can be configured to be combined as one input. The Hermes DDC has two AES/EBU outputs. Just curious has anyone used this connection method and find it better , the same , or worse than the i2s connection.

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,607 of 1,845
Yes, Pontus2 has two AES/EBU inputs and can be configured to be combined as one input. The Hermes DDC has two AES/EBU outputs. Just curious has anyone used this connection method and find it better , the same , or worse than the i2s connection.
Sorry, I never looked at such feature. It is the same as with a single AES/EBU connection, so for my defense I didn't made extraordinary comment. Aggregated link only doubles a maximum speed.

Serial link with embedded clock carries jitter, extracting clock from datastream do not remove low-frequency component. Such option makes sense on a longer connection like in professional studios, you can look at that if you have such requirement. However in studios it is complemented by synchronising multiple sources with external clock, so a receiver don't need to extract clock from a datastream. Pontus do not have external clock feature, so it is like a dinosaur option. You would need one of the upper level DAC (T+ or TII) to bring an alternative for I2S.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #1,608 of 1,845
With connection from Denafrips avatar,

AES/EBU output→×4(176.4Khz)
I2s output→×8(352.8Khz)

I2s output can be connected up to ”×8”.
I don't know the difference in sound quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_170537.jpg
    IMG_20231125_170537.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,609 of 1,845
could someone explain what the phase switching does?

Nov 27, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,610 of 1,845
could someone explain what the phase switching does?
Extracted from forum, I've read it in many different places already so I think it is accurate:
The polarity (or "phase") switch flips a positive signal to a negative signal and vice versa. If a positive signal causes a driver to move towards you, then flipping that signal to negative will cause the driver to move away from you. After a sound gets going, the driver will be moving back and forth over and over again, so the polarity no longer matters.

I think it will affect speaker users only

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,611 of 1,845
The effect of inverting phase (if the sound wave coming out of your system had the correct phase originally) will be to produce a thinner quality to the sound coming from your system. From what I've read in forums, some people hear (feel?) this difference. Other people do not.

I would suggest trying the invert phase button to see if you prefer one setting over another.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,612 of 1,845
Extracted from forum, I've read it in many different places already so I think it is accurate:
The polarity (or "phase") switch flips a positive signal to a negative signal and vice versa. If a positive signal causes a driver to move towards you, then flipping that signal to negative will cause the driver to move away from you. After a sound gets going, the driver will be moving back and forth over and over again, so the polarity no longer matters.

I think it will affect speaker users only
It seems correct to me. And what I think is equivalent to inverting the phase on the speakers (the positive pole instead of the negative and vice versa). On some recordings you can hear it and on others you can't because it depends on how the sound engineer transferred the master. When listening (speakers), the presentation of the high range and the development of the bass are different. In a harmonious sense, more or less air. the note is more or less “sustained”. Noticeable on very revealing systems. In some cases it is equivalent to replacing a good cable with an excellent one, in other cases it is not worth thinking about. All this obviously from me, in my system and in my listening experience. and obviously always Imho. With the Pontus 2/12 only and not always with hi res tracks.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #1,613 of 1,845
I dislike the chaos of power cables of various thicknesses mixed together, so my reference environment is to use 18 AWG.

The supra lorad (which is light blue coated) is extended in the mid-bass direction and the treble is a bit gentler.

The overall impression is gentler and can be louder.
Some amplifiers may find it too warm.

18AWG also sounds good. enjoy the replacement for about 2 weeks.
After several checks, we settled on 18 AWG.

The supra lorad gives me expansive and clear bass, but as a headphone user, I find the bass to be too much and the vocals to be subdued.
Maybe it's because my headphones are meze109, I think HP with moderate bass would have a different impression.

Power cables are difficult, and I have learned to be very grateful for references given by the manufacturer.( ˘ω˘) . 。o(

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,614 of 1,845
I just connected the Pontus II with xlr, and it plays more on one side like an imbalance. This didn’t happen with rca. What could be wrong?

I have used other dacs before with my amp with xlr and never had this issue.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #1,616 of 1,845
No, only got one pair. Which is brand new Wireworld eclipse 8. Maybe there is something wrong with them. 🙇‍♂️

When I put them in opposite Red in white and white in red. The balance switches to the left side. Maybe it’s really the cable?

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,619 of 1,845
yep, got a new pair today. And There was no sound on the left side. Until i carefully touched the connector then the sound came. Tried to switch L to R and the same happens on the other side. So it’s clear that the wireworld xlr doesn’t work with my Pontus. There is a connection issue. If there was something with the dac xlr outlets I guess it wouldn’t be possible to experience the same on the other side/outlet. When I took the plug up or down or side to side the sound came in full on both sides.

What xlr are you guys using and what power cables ?

I need to get another brand that doesn’t give me connectivity issues.

I picked up a wireworld Electra 7 copper PC today, but it’s not better than my heimdall 2.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #1,620 of 1,845
yep, got a new pair today. And There was no sound on the left side. Until i carefully touched the connector then the sound came. Tried to switch L to R and the same happens on the other side. So it’s clear that the wireworld xlr doesn’t work with my Pontus. There is a connection issue. If there was something with the dac xlr outlets I guess it wouldn’t be possible to experience the same on the other side/outlet. When I took the plug up or down or side to side the sound came in full on both sides.

What xlr are you guys using and what power cables ?

I need to get another brand that doesn’t give me connectivity issues.

I picked up a wireworld Electra 7 copper PC today, but it’s not better than my heimdall 2.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WLRW2MD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

True story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back