Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 1, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,321 of 1,845
My thoughts on the Pontus II as it compares to a few other similarly priced DACs, if anyone is interested.

Very very enjoyable DAC, I can absolutely see/hear why so many people give it high praise.
Nice review. Hypothetically, if you only can keep one DAC, which one would your preference be?

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #1,322 of 1,845
Nice review. Hypothetically, if you only can keep one DAC, which one would your preference be?

Oof, tough question there. It really comes down to the associated gear I'd be using it with.

I can assemble a different system based around each DAC, where that DAC is the best in that specific context. Neither of the others can keep up in that particular system. So there's really no easy answer there.

Sounds like a cop out but it's absolutely true!

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #1,323 of 1,845
Oof, tough question there. It really comes down to the associated gear I'd be using it with.

I can assemble a different system based around each DAC, where that DAC is the best in that specific context. Neither of the others can keep up in that particular system. So there's really no easy answer there.

Sounds like a cop out but it's absolutely true!
Thanks, no worries. I agree when you get to a specific level of high performing DACs, at that point the differences between these same (or about the same) level tiered DACs, it boils down to system/gear synergy and personal preference more than anything else.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #1,324 of 1,845
My thoughts on the Pontus II as it compares to a few other similarly priced DACs, if anyone is interested.

Very very enjoyable DAC, I can absolutely see/hear why so many people give it high praise.
Nice review! I have a Pontus and a friend has the Yggy (Originally the OG model and now the LIM version). He came to the same conclusions after borrowing my Pontus and listening to both the Pontus and the Yggy DACs in his system. The Pontus is tonally richer, while the Yggy is more dynamic in sound. I would add that the Pontus does really will with vocal music and acoustic instruments.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #1,325 of 1,845
Nice review! I have a Pontus and a friend has the Yggy (Originally the OG model and now the LIM version). He came to the same conclusions after borrowing my Pontus and listening to both the Pontus and the Yggy DACs in his system. The Pontus is tonally richer, while the Yggy is more dynamic in sound. I would add that the Pontus does really will with vocal music and acoustic instruments.
I own both P2 and Yggy and i totally agree with that assessment.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #1,326 of 1,845
I own both P2 and Yggy and i totally agree with that assessment.
Do you use your Pontus and your Yggy for different types of music?

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #1,327 of 1,845
Do you use your Pontus and your Yggy for different types of music?
Not necessarily. I have two different setup as you can see in my sig. I prefer the Pontus with planars while i use my Yggy + Elise OTL with my zmfs.

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #1,329 of 1,845
I've owned Pontus II for 4 days now and it's still burning in; am running a Roon stream 24/7.

I was using SPDIF Digital Coax between Iris and Pontus, but last night switched to I2S. I have to say, there was no difference I could hear between them.

Pontus sounds better out of the box than Ares II out of the box, but it only sounds on par with two months old Ares now, not better. How long before Pontus starts delivering more?

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,330 of 1,845
What is your source material, and what bitrate am is Room set to? Did you run through the I2S pin settings? Do you have XLR and/or RCA going to your amp?

A new Pontus comes with about 100 hours of burn in from the factory. They really come into their own after about 1,000 hours. Leave it on 24/7 for best performance.

The difference between the Ares and Pontus should be pretty substantial. If you're not hearing it, something is off.

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,331 of 1,845
What is your source material, and what bitrate am is Room set to? Did you run through the I2S pin settings? Do you have XLR and/or RCA going to your amp?

A new Pontus comes with about 100 hours of burn in from the factory. They really come into their own after about 1,000 hours. Leave it on 24/7 for best performance.

The difference between the Ares and Pontus should be pretty substantial. If you're not hearing it, something is off.

So my current chain is:

Roon > Optical > Pi4 Ropieee > USB > Iris > I2S > Pontus > RCA > LTA MZ3

I didn't run through I2S settings, I plugged in the cable and it worked immediately. I assumed that the defaults would be for Denafrips devices.

The Ares sounded rubbish for a month or so, then was amazing. I presume Pontus takes a while also.
Screenshot_20221202_204629_Roon.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #1,332 of 1,845
Defaults are not necessarily going to give you the best sound - you'd be surprised. Give them a run through just to be sure.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,333 of 1,845
Defaults are not necessarily going to give you the best sound - you'd be surprised. Give them a run through just to be sure.
I will do. Many thanks.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,334 of 1,845
Are they making a Pontus II 12th? I see them for sale from a Chinese seller on eBay labeled as 12th (even has a picture with 12th clearly labels on the front panel) but see nothing about a Pontus II 12th on Denafrips' or Vinshine's sites.

Anyone know what the difference is? I want to order a Pontus II but I'm waiting until I find out if there's a 12th.

I've attached a picture from the eBay listing.

Attachments

• pontus12th.jpg
    pontus12th.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 4, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,335 of 1,845
Are they making a Pontus II 12th? I see them for sale from a Chinese seller on eBay labeled as 12th (even has a picture with 12th clearly labels on the front panel) but see nothing about a Pontus II 12th on Denafrips' or Vinshine's sites.

Anyone know what the difference is? I want to order a Pontus II but I'm waiting until I find out if there's a 12th.

I've attached a picture from the eBay listing.

Yes, I've just bought one. It arrived in the UK on Monday last week. The differences are really minor. There are slight (unspecified) component changes to the internal linear power supply, and the mechanism by which the power interfaces with the main board is different. Minimal to no SQ improvement over standard Pontus II.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back