Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Sep 12, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,261 of 1,845
Sep 12, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,263 of 1,845
Sep 14, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #1,264 of 1,845
A question: does the use of a DDC (I2S connection) with it's superior clocks (compared to Pontus II) make sence when Denafrips states (on their Pontus website) that "All (!) digital input are FIFO buffered and reclocked by the on board FEMTO clocks"? Also in the picture (DSP board) on the same website can be seen "Adaptive FIFO Buffer Recklocking via the on board FEMTO Clocks to the USB input signal (!!) )". It seems like there is a contradiction (reclocking all digital input vs USB input only) as i understand it. This confuses me a bit...
The Iris reclocks the signal with it's better clocks, then sends it via I2S to the Pontus where the signal is buffered and reclocked again with inferior clocks (compared to Iris)? Does it make sence? Is ALL digital input getting reclocked (like it's mentioned in the text-part of the Pontus description) or JUST the asychronus USB input (as described in the picture)? Or does the signal from I2S bypass the Pontus FPGA board?
Any input from more knowledgeable people than me is appreciated...
still no explanation how does DDC contribute to better quality even using with top Terminator Plus
Is It IIS Input of bypassed for dsp board
Is there a point using DDC with other than usb Inputs

can Gaya / Hermes DDC work synced with Denafrips dacs bellow Terminator Plus

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #1,266 of 1,845
@sajunky,
thank you for Input
looks like only Terminator Plus and Gaya can work synched - Is this because of TP clock In feature, what for Is clock out feature of Terminator II
what Is reason IIS connection between DDC and dac to be with better SQ - and I am Interested at spdif Input as source
do you know any other brand In Terminator price range or bellow that can work synched with DDC / source

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,267 of 1,845
still no explanation how does DDC contribute to better quality even using with top Terminator Plus
Is It IIS Input of bypassed for dsp board
Is there a point using DDC with other than usb Inputs

can Gaya / Hermes DDC work synced with Denafrips dacs bellow Terminator Plus

Running USB to the Iris, I2S into the Pontus. In my case, the Iris cleans up and improves the signal, and the lower noise helps bring out more micro details, separation, and makes for a blacker background. My source is a gaming laptop so not ideal.

I've also tried AES out and the I2S is noticeably more detailed for me.

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,268 of 1,845
looks like only Terminator Plus and Gaya can work synched - Is this because of TP clock In feature, what for Is clock out feature of Terminator II
Yes. Clock Out feature is for synchronisation of DDC with a DAC clock, so both devices run the same clock, it makes reclocking redundant. Reclocking result loss of quality or increase latency, but without this feature cannot be avoided.

Clock feeded back is a proprietary solution, it is good for a quality on one side, but clock cannot be upgraded to third-party external clock. It is why other brands prefer 10MHz master clock for synchronising devices.
what Is reason IIS connection between DDC and dac to be with better SQ - and I am Interested at spdif Input as source
A reason for I2S is speed. S/PDIF connection will give the same quality (assuming a clock is synchronised), but speed is limited to 196kHz.
do you know any other brand In Terminator price range or bellow that can work synched with DDC / source
The lowest priced DAC with external clock synchronisation is Audio GD R-8Mk2 $1800, it is very low comparing to other brands. More expensive model R-7Mk2 and HE versions (with embedded power regenerator) are still below a price of T+. They pair very well with third-party DDC devices, as most of them synchronise with 10MHz external clock device, but it is well known fact that Audio GD DI-20HE ($1000) is one of the best (if not the best) DDC on the market. Check DI-20 thread for details.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,269 of 1,845
@sajunky,
thank you for Input
looks like only Terminator Plus and Gaya can work synched

You can use the clock out feature on both Terminator II and Terminator Plus with any Denafrips DDC (which makes the Iris a bargain if you don’t need the extra connectivity and plan on upgrading to a T II or T + someday)

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #1,270 of 1,845
You can use the clock out feature on both Terminator II and Terminator Plus with any Denafrips DDC
Right, T2 is cheaper than T+, so T2 is indeed the cheapest Denafrips DAC synchronising clock with Denafrips DDC.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,271 of 1,845
thank you for Input guys,

does using syncronised clock connection between TP / T2 and Gaia / Hermes bypass Internal fifo buffering and reclocking In TP / T2
In order to use synch clock connection between TP / T2 and Gaia / Hermes user have to connect both bnc connectors 45 M and 48 M of devices and also IIS HDMI ports with HDMI cable, Is that correct

Sep 17, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,272 of 1,845
Hello everyone
Thirst off all, forgive my english, is really bad 😉.
I got my Pontus II couple days ago, in good price because it was a demo version in audiostore (in Poland).
So far, my streamer/dac was Heos Link hs2 (not that bad), rest of set its a tube preamp and power amp. (no tube) and diy speakers (scan speak really good).
And now heos works as a transport for pontus.
Holly cow! The change is a night and day. EVERYTHING has change. Its airy, 3D, smooth and gentel.
My CD player (pioneer pd 30ae) is connecting to pontus by aq carbon coaxial, and finally i have the real music. Sound its not flat without coulor anymore.
Its amazing, i've never belived that DAC can do this 😁
Very soon have to change the transport. Do you think, Munich M1T is good enough for pontus, or should i wait a moment and buy lumin U2 mini ? its really expensive for me.
I thought about i2s input. Lumin doesn't have i2s. i cant afford for next toy as a ddc, so just thinking about transport.
I hope you guys understand what i mean (i hate to wright in English 😁)

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,273 of 1,845
Hello everyone
I got my Pontus II couple days ago, in good price because it was a demo version in audiostore (in Poland).
So far, my streamer/dac was Heos Link hs2 (not that bad), rest of set its a tube preamp and power amp. (no tube) and diy speakers (scan speak really good).
Holly cow! The change is a night and day. EVERYTHING has change. Its airy, 3D, smooth and gentel.
My CD player (pioneer pd 30ae) is connecting to pontus by aq carbon coaxial, and finally i have the real music. Sound its not flat without coulor anymore.
Very soon have to change the transport. Do you think, Munich M1T is good enough for pontus, or should i wait a moment and buy lumin U2 mini ? its really expensive for me.
I thought about i2s input. Lumin doesn't have i2s. i cant afford for next toy as a ddc, so just thinking about transport.
Hi mikelas,

your English is perfectly intelligible. What is important is your impulse to contribute. Mine is not great either.

And yes, Pontus is amazing. I hesitated for years to upgrade DAC or anything else in the digital chain, focusing all my efforts and spending money on scaling higher and higher on analog devices: headphones, amplifiers, energizers, and even power supplies. Nowadays I know that was a mistake. When I incorporated Pontus into my system I was amazed, but I didn't waste much time thinking about what I missed. I go to my system like someone who goes to church.

I strongly suggest exploring the i2s connection. Insert a DDC and you will hear it.

Amen!

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,274 of 1,845
Hello everyone
Welcome to the Pontus2 club. It is a great dac, especially for the money.

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #1,275 of 1,845
I've heard enough digital audio to know that the Pontus II sounds magical especially at its price of US $1750. I recently listened to a $14,000 streamer-DAC that I don't think sounded as good as the Pontus on the acoustic and vocal music that I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back