Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,157 of 1,845
I'm seeking to replace the current DAC in my headphone system (Metrum Acoustics Musette) with a new one. Trying to decide between the Ares II or Pontus with the Iris DDC. They will feed THX AAA 789 and Sundara.

Have any of you owned both DACs that could kindly advise? I am unable to audition before purchase.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,158 of 1,845
I'm seeking to replace the current DAC in my headphone system (Metrum Acoustics Musette) with a new one. Trying to decide between the Ares II or Pontus with the Iris DDC. They will feed THX AAA 789 and Sundara.

Have any of you owned both DACs that could kindly advise? I am unable to audition before purchase.
You should consider getting other headphones and then another amp long before you drop $2k+ on a new DAC and DDC. You will get much better returns for your money, given what you currently use (Sundara/789).

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,159 of 1,845
You should consider getting other headphones and then another amp long before you drop $2k+ on a new DAC and DDC. You will get much better returns for your money, given what you currently use (Sundara/789).

The amp is being replaced. I'm buying an LTA MZ3. The headphones are superb though - I have no interest in replacing them when I like them so much. Why would I?

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,160 of 1,845
The amp is being replaced. I'm buying an LTA MZ3. The headphones are superb though - I have no interest in replacing them when I like them so much. Why would I?

The LTA MZ3 is fantastic, heard it a few days ago at Pacific Audio Fest, along with the z10e (with a Pontus 2) and z40+ (holo may), so nice pick there. Sundaras are "superb" sure, at their price point. There are much better headphones out there, and again, if you want to hear an overall improvement in sound from your system, going DAC first isn't the way to do it. Headphones represent an overwhelming majority of the overall chain experience. There's a very good chance you won't even hear a difference when you swap DACs with Sundara, let alone hear some incredible improvement. But hey, it's your money.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #1,161 of 1,845
The LTA MZ3 is fantastic, heard it a few days ago at Pacific Audio Fest, along with the z10e (with a Pontus 2) and z40+ (holo may), so nice pick there. Sundaras are "superb" sure, at their price point. There are much better headphones out there, and again, if you want to hear an overall improvement in sound from your system, going DAC first isn't the way to do it. Headphones represent an overwhelming majority of the overall chain experience. There's a very good chance you won't even hear a difference when you swap DACs with Sundara, let alone hear some incredible improvement. But hey, it's your money.
What did you think about holo may and pontus... With the LTA gear?

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,162 of 1,845

Some comparisons between the Pontus and the Ares. Overall, the Pontus is a much better sounding DAC than the Ares, but a lot of the improvement that I hear are in the areas of presence, "air", and environmental cues. Ii think those are easier to hear via speakers than via headphones, so you may or may not hear those differences through headphones:

• Resolution and Warmth: I always thought that resolution and warmth were traits on two opposite ends of a spectrum. It has already been eye-opening that Pontus actually seems to have even more detail and resolution than the Qutest and also more smoothness and warmth than the Ares II.
  • Pace & Emotional Range: What appeals to me most about the Pontus and perhaps what I noticed first was wide range of pace that the Pontus is able to convey. Some DACs like the Qutest have good pace. Other DACs such as the Ares II sound more relaxed. It's intriguing to hear a DAC that can sound both relaxed as well as upbeat and dynamic as needed. For the Pontus, that ability allows it to sound relaxed and calm or energetic and dynamic depending on the music being played. Music through the Pontus seems to be conveyed as the artist or composer intended instead of the Pontus imposing its own sonic signature onto the music. Examples of these two ends of this scale that I have heard are Sara Watkins' new 'Under the Pepper Tree' album versus Les McCann & Eddie Harris' excellent 'Swiss Movement' recording of their performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,163 of 1,845
What did you think about holo may and pontus... With the LTA gear?
It's really difficult to say because I don't know where the amp ended and the DAC began (z40+ and z10e do sound pretty different). I also compared them in different environments, so the z40+ with May was in a private speaker set up in what was basically a hotel room, and the z10e was with the Pontus in the main lobby downstairs. I also used my own Susvara for the z40+ test, and that amp has a lot more power, so naturally the bass and sub bass were more noticeable. Basically, I have zero info for your question lol. I'm actually thinking of upgrading to the May (possibly wavedream/light) so I wanted to know the answer myself, but yea, no real info on that comparison unfortunately.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,165 of 1,845
Yes, that makes it difficult. I have a pontus with my Z40. I don't really know if a better DAC would be worth it. The Z40 certainly was.

Every LTA was an absolute pleasure to listen to, and they're really great people to boost. It's difficult to say if something is worth it, especially across people and especially with DACs. Some people can't even hear a difference, some claim to be brought to tears by the change. I'm a bit hesitant to go up with DACs as well, especially as I transition to 2 channel from headphones. For me, the DACs are always the last piece and the Pontus is nice enough that I'm temporarily content until I figure out every other piece, and even then, I would need to be comfortable enough to just blow money for the sake of completionism.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,166 of 1,845
It's pretty hard to hear differences with headphones. The amp was a huge difference... DACs... Meh. If there are huge difference from the Pontus, I'm not paying that much. Listening with my friends excellent bookshelves, it's definitely good enough. Friend liked it so much he got one.... To go with his new prima Luna... After he heard my LTA.

After getting a Mercury streamer and using I2S... That is better. Certainly better than USB... But that is more icing on top than the cake itself. Even looking at Terminator... I have no overwhelming urge. Listening to music now is enough. Everything is fantastic.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #1,167 of 1,845
I have about 300 hours on my new Pontus 2 now and finally did some critical listening. After futzing around the different modes to see which I prefer most, I settled on NOS with upsampling my 44.1 khz wav files to 352.8 khz on my music app.

Things that stood out were its effortless ability to unravel all the layering of individual instruments/tracks within the song. You can hear the (once hidden) spatial ambient cues easily now. Instrument timbres are more realistic. The trailing notes decay longer as real instruments sound during live sessions. Vocals have more definition in pitch changes, the subtle voice quivering is more apparent. Bass has more texture and detail. The presentation sounds less digital and less glaring to my ears, quite natural sounding.

My only nitpick at this point is I wish the soundstage could be a little wider, hopefully it will open up more with burn in. But I am very impressed so far.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #1,169 of 1,845
What app are you using for the up sample? Are you using an Iris with it?
My sources are Android phones (mainly Samsung S7 Edge and S10+ sometimes) using USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP). I also have Onkyo HF Player which can upsample PCM and DSD resolution sample rates. But I find UAPP to have a better interface and more features.

I don't have an Iris yet, but I can see myself buying one down the road to squeeze more out of the Pontus 2.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #1,170 of 1,845
What app are you using for the up sample? Are you using an Iris with it?

Give HQPlayer a try. There is a learning curve but Jussi offers a free trial on his software

Users who are viewing this thread

Back