Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 27, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,141 of 1,845
I see you own the Musician Pegasus as well as the Pontus2. How do they compare if you don't mind me asking?
Hard to describe, but I'd say the Pontus is more detailed and faster, while the Pegasus is more open and airy, and slightly more relaxed. I put 2x Synergistic Research Purple fuses in my Pegasuses (Pegasii?) and it (surprisingly) makes a fairly significant difference (IMO, YMMV).

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #1,142 of 1,845
Hard to describe, but I'd say the Pontus is more detailed and faster, while the Pegasus is more open and airy, and slightly more relaxed. I put 2x Synergistic Research Purple fuses in my Pegasuses (Pegasii?) and it (surprisingly) makes a fairly significant difference (IMO, YMMV).
Nice, thanks for the feedback. Do you use NOS or OS on the Pontus 2 with your results?

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,143 of 1,845
Nice, thanks for the feedback. Do you use NOS or OS on the Pontus 2 with your results?
I don't hear a significant difference between the two, TBH.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #1,144 of 1,845
OS Slow mode seems smoother to me. NOS mode may convey a bit more texture, but also seems a bit more grainy.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #1,146 of 1,845
I'm looking for amp pairing recommendations with the Pontus II. I'm currently using it with a GS-X mini and a HPA V550.

I couldn’t be happier with my Pontus II / V550 Pro. Anything in particular you feel is missing? (That may help narrow your search)

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,147 of 1,845
Glad to hear your positive review of the P2 / V550 pairing. I have my Pontus 2 on order, arriving this Thursday. I should have been more clear in my post that I don't have the DAC yet :) So I'm looking forward to trying this combination. The Iris has already arrived, so once I get the DAC I'll be ready to go.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #1,148 of 1,845
Glad to hear your positive review of the P2 / V550 pairing. I have my Pontus 2 on order, arriving this Thursday. I should have been more clear in my post that I don't have the DAC yet :) So I'm looking forward to trying this combination. The Iris has already arrived, so once I get the DAC I'll be ready to go.

Good call on the Iris as well. I feel it made a significant impact on my setup. I have a Mac Mini as a source (for use with HQPlayer) coupled with the poor USB implementation on the Pontus II (no galvanic isolation on USB), it’s a night and day difference.

Give the Pontus at least 100 hours (preferably more) before making any critical judgements on it. It will settle in nicely after a week or so if you just let it burn in 24/7

If you are using I2S from the Iris you’ll need to program the pin outs (on the Pontus II) since every cable manufacturer has their own spec and there isn’t a universal standard. When you get to this point, PM me if you get stuck (if you don’t program it correctly some hi res or DSD can produce noise, or you could be listening to music with the polarity reversed). It’s trial and error mainly, it’s not terribly difficult once you find some test files to play with.

Congrats on the Pontus / Iris purchase. I think you’ll be quite happy with the synergy with the V550.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #1,150 of 1,845
coupled with the poor USB implementation on the Pontus II (no galvanic isolation on USB), it’s a night and day difference.
Pontus II has galvanic isolation on all the inputs, USB included. It's right on the website. It's also covered in depth by every reviewer, and in the Vinshine videos.

Attachments

• 1659417692463.png
    1659417692463.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,151 of 1,845
Yes, there are optocouplers there. But I think someone pointed out that the shield of the USB connector is not isolated from the chassis and other outputs. That would defeat the optocouplers quite a bit.

I don’t own a Pontus myself yet so can’t test, but it would only take a simple multimeter to verify. Am I remembering wrong?

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #1,152 of 1,845
Thanks for the offer on the iris i2s setup help. I2s is what I plan to use. Looking at the manual I just assumed the default setting 000 would work. Which setting are you using?

Remember you are programming for the I2S cable and not the equipment. I’m using a Wireworld Silver Sphere so Mode 3 - 1 1 0 was the correct setting.

https://www.denafrips.com/config-pontus

2C70FAFD-8830-4366-835F-BF1210A108CE.jpeg

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #1,155 of 1,845
Really? That's surprising for sure. Thanks for the tip!

It’s because there is no universally adopted industry standard for HDMI or I2S cables so you have to program the pin outs to ensure everything matches up. Programming them yourself is easier (and cheaper) than trying various cables until you find one that matches up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back