Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #1,741 of 1,845
I don't have personal experience with the I2S connection, but I've read others' reports that the HDMI cable used for the I2S connection doesn't make a difference in sound quality. I think that is due to the nature of the I2S connection.

Also, if trying out different power cords and Ethernet cables on the Pontus are of interest to you, I've found the Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable (https://www.ebay.com/itm/156063208423) and Supra LoRad power cord (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1560986711...RAPPPF&hash=item245834b1ff:g:faEAAMXQTZhR2e2y) work really well. In the case of the power cord, I listened to 11 other power cords ranging from $15 to $1400 and the Supra LoRad power cord at $91 sounded best.

FWIW, of all of the cords attached to my Pontus DAC, I would say that the power cord made the most difference in sound quality.
Thanks for the info.

For me, this is where you can end up wasting lots of money.... cable chasing.

Anyway, I'll stick to either HDMI or AES, and I've no desire to mess RJ45 connection as well. And certainly not interested in paying $90 bucks for a CAT cable. That's me.

As for audiophile grade power cords, not really a believer there as well. I'm currently using some heavy-duty Tripp-Lite cords, and that's working for me.

While I believe in good cables, I don't believe in the chase for better nor the exorbitant prices that come with some. My plan is to find good quality cables at a reasonable price (not into the hundreds) and stick there.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,742 of 1,845
After being on firmware v1.4 for over 5 months on my Pontus 2, recently I switched back to v1.0, made me realize how much I miss the v1.0. To me that is the true essence of the Pontus 2 cause it sounds so natural and analog. Yes, it does lose out a bit of detail and separation in comparison to v1.4, but its so engaging that I can listen much longer in my setup.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #1,745 of 1,845
In some time I recommend you try version 1.0.
I also went back to version 1.0 after listening to version 1.4, but ultimately came to the same conclusions as Smoothstereo.
I hear you, but I'm staying with this firmware and going from there. Not looking to put an older firmware on a newer unit.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,746 of 1,845
@sygnus21 how's the Artemis coming along, would like to hear your impressions/review of the head amp.

Edit: Just saw your recent comments on the other thread that the Artemis was not defective.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #1,747 of 1,845
After being on firmware v1.4 for over 5 months on my Pontus 2, recently I switched back to v1.0, made me realize how much I miss the v1.0. To me that is the true essence of the Pontus 2 cause it sounds so natural and analog. Yes, it does lose out a bit of detail and separation in comparison to v1.4, but its so engaging that I can listen much longer in my setup.
I did it a long time ago, after two months on firmware 1.4. The original firmware 1.0 is simply the most natural and fits a well-tuned systems. For me, it is a substitute for analog sound, going in a small percentage towards a tube-based system. The real sound in my opinion, doesn't sound like firmware 1.3 or 1.4. But this is my and only my opinion.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #1,748 of 1,845
@sygnus21 how's the Artemis coming along, would like to hear your impressions/review of the head amp.
The amp is still opening up, even as I play with cables. I think I've something like maybe 120 hours so still another recommended 200 (of the 300 burn-in hours) to go.

I'm still playing with cables, though I understand things will change as the amp burns in. That said, I started with a pair of Mogami XLR cables going from DAC to Amp, but the bass feels soft. Then I moved to a pair of Canare L-4E6S Star Quad XLR cables, and the bass tightened up nicely, detail and soundstage improved to give a more 3-D effect, but the highs can get hot at times to the point of piercing; and especially with tunes with lots of cymbals. Both cables are Worlds Best Cable brand.

I'm planning on moving over to some Blue Truth Ultra Balanced XLR cables from a company called Better Cables as they're said to offer a nice balance bass, mids, and highs. I'm familiar with the company as I have one of their S/PDIF cables I used between my Teac DAC and CD player. Quality and performance are outstanding.

To be honest, I should have gotten the Better Cables when I first got the amp, but I was being cheap. Anyway, will be ordering them Monday. Will also order a Supra LoRad power cord as suggested by @CalvinandHobbes2020.

All that said, I'm really enjoying the music coming out the amp, and it's shaping up to be what I wanted. I just need to get it tuned in more.

Edit: Just saw your recent comments on the other thread that the Artemis was not defective.
Yeah, I thought there was an issue with the amp going into Standby mode, but Alvin informed the Standby button has two functions - to mute, and for standby. A simple push of the button puts the amp in mute mode, holding the button for a few seconds until you hear a relay click puts the amp in standby mode. I didn't know about needing to hold the button for Standby, and thus why I thought the amp was defective, which I now know isn't. Was also told this is a change from older units, so...

BTW no owner's manual comes with the amp, nor is there one for download, so you have to figure out things on your own. I've asked Alvin twice about a posting a manual, but thus nothing.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #1,749 of 1,845
Also, if trying out different power cords and Ethernet cables on the Pontus are of interest to you, I've found the Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable (https://www.ebay.com/itm/156063208423) and Supra LoRad power cord (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1560986711...RAPPPF&hash=item245834b1ff:g:faEAAMXQTZhR2e2y) work really well. In the case of the power cord, I listened to 11 other power cords ranging from $15 to $1400 and the Supra LoRad power cord at $91 sounded best.

FWIW, of all of the cords attached to my Pontus DAC, I would say that the power cord made the most difference in sound quality.
@CalvinandHobbes2020, @Smoothstereo

Got some power cables to add to both Pontus DAC and Artemis headphone amp. Also bought an HDMI cable as well as a USB cable. All courtesy of Supra Cables...

Power-Cables.jpg

Being this is a wholesale upgrade its kind of hard to tell what's the most significant upgrade, but I will say the Supra HDMI (I2S) cable vs. my cheap Kabel Direct HDMI cable made a huge difference in the sound coming through the Iris to the Pontus out to the Artemis. Here everything is cleaner, tighter, and wider. Now I can enjoy my PC FLAC files just as much as my CDs. Can't say what the Excaliber USB cable is doing (LOL), but it's not hurting :relaxed:

Anyway, I'm also coming to the conclusion I don't like silver cables where sound reproduction is concerned. More below...

Because I got both the LoRad CS1 and LoRad Silver power-cords, I've been able to experiment. So, with the silver cord connected the Artemis, and the CS (copper) cord connected to the Pontus, the soundstage of the Artemis is widened, and you get this 3D effect soundstage, which is absolutely lovely, but at the cost of detail with muddier (veiled) bass notes.

Going the other way - silver cord to Pontus, copper cord to Artemis, bass cleaner and tighter and overall detail is greatly improved; here though, the sound moves closer and at the cost of that wide 3D effect. It's there, but not to the level of the silver cord connected to the Pontus.

Both ways have their plus/minus, but overall, I prefer more detail and better bass so it's the copper power-cord to the Artemis, and silver power-cord to the Pontus. Mind you the Sennheiser HD800S already has a wide soundstage, so I guess the choice would come down to which headphones you have.

Silver wire-based audio cables - in my short trial and error to find the right cables for the sound I'm after, I'm finding (not news to some) silver-based cables tend to be bright and airy favoring the upper range, where copper-based cables tend to be warmer, more intimate, favoring the lower range. This was also my experience when I bought a1.5-foot Better Cable Silver Serpent AIR Digital S/PDIF Coax Cable to go between my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player and Pontus DAC, to replace my 10-foot Better Cables Blue Truth Digital S/PDIF Coax Cable I had. What I found here is what I found in the power cords, and also when I moved to the Quad Balanced Canare L-4E6S XLR cables with silver Neutrik connectors to go between the Pontus and Artemis.... increased upper range, spacious soundstage but less umph, detail, and bass. I'm sure there are cables that has it all, so do tell (though price is a factor).

Check the review of Supra's power-cables by Lachlen, to get an idea of where I'm coming. Silver / copper cables can produce different results depending on gear. He talks of this here with regards to the power cables...

Anyway, I'm going to be returning the Better Cable Silver Serpent for the cheaper Blue Truth cable, as I already have that one (though its 10-feet) and know what it sounds like in my system. Was curious about the cable and why I choose it, but I don't like it so I'm replacing it. Will also be replacing the XLR Canare cables with something a little more balanced.

All said, after 3-weeks, the Artemis is sounding wonderful no matter the cables. Very happy with this amp. Just need to fine tune it a little further.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #1,750 of 1,845
@sygnus21
Testing cables should not be done during the first 3 weeks R2R DAC burning period. Then start with power cables/filters to clean up mains noise first. After you do this, a difference between interconnects will be bigger. Solder fuses instead purchasing expensive ones.
Silver / copper cables can produce different results depending on gear.
It shouldn't. It is just indication that different factors are more important than just a conquest between silver and copper. But silver gives different effect on digital and analogue connections.

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #1,751 of 1,845
@sygnus21
Testing cables should not be done during the first 3 weeks R2R DAC burning period. Then start with power cables/filters to clean up mains noise first. After you do this, a difference between interconnects will be bigger. Solder fuses instead purchasing expensive ones.
I'll agree with that assessment, but I needed to replace the power cords, HDMI, and USB cables anyway; I just made the mistake of not getting it done before I got the amps.

Regardless, the changes are there. Whether they stay that way will depend on how much more the burn-in process continues.

But yes, be patient and don't go changing cables until after the burn-in. Better yet, get the cables you planned on upgrading when getting your gear, so they burn together.

Anyway, I'm just documenting my on-the-fly changes and what I'm hearing because sound changes still happen.

As for fuses, not messing with them. I'll just leave them as is.

It is just indication that different factors are more important than just a conquest between silver and copper. But silver gives different effect on digital and analogue connections.
Yeah, that's what I said, and what's in the video I linked. Also, in articles I've read, coupled with my own experience.

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #1,753 of 1,845
Some time has passed since I added IRIS to my desk, and I have gathered my impressions.

・The iris is slightly clearer, increases the distance between instruments slightly, and gives a slightly wider soundstage.
・The i2s cable, interconnect cables, and power cables make a small difference in the sound.

The total change is slight (90 points becomes 94 points).
Whether the change is worth the cost of the DDC and cables is debatable,The IRIS and PONTUS combo sits on my desk.ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"

P.S.
IRIS makes the PONTUS FW change easier to understand.
The 1.4 makes the whole thing a bit flashier with a wider soundstage.
The 1.0 will keep you in your seat for a long time, but it depends on whether you find it fun or loose.
Running at 1.0 right now.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,755 of 1,845
Some time has passed since I added IRIS to my desk, and I have gathered my impressions.

・The iris is slightly clearer, increases the distance between instruments slightly, and gives a slightly wider soundstage.
・The i2s cable, interconnect cables, and power cables make a small difference in the sound.

The total change is slight (90 points becomes 94 points).
Whether the change is worth the cost of the DDC and cables is debatable,The IRIS and PONTUS combo sits on my desk.ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"

P.S.
IRIS makes the PONTUS FW change easier to understand.
The 1.4 makes the whole thing a bit flashier with a wider soundstage.
The 1.0 will keep you in your seat for a long time, but it depends on whether you find it fun or loose.
Running at 1.0 right now.
I picked up a Pontus 2 12th recently. .....dumb question incoming.....

How can one tell which firmware one is using, and how can one go about sourcing an earlier (or later) FW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back