Degen DE-1103 : REVIEW -- Great radio
Jan 21, 2005 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

D555

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Received a Degen DE-1103 radio today (12/2004 production). It's fabulous. It's fun! It's small. It performs. The AM and SW are outstanding. The FM is astounding. The sound is full and free from constant background hiss. I'm probably gushing but I haven't been this excited about a new AM/SW/FM radio in years.

PHYSICAL:

The DE-1103 (silver) is a beautiful radio. It has a real tuning knob. It has LCD digital readout and a simulated LCD "dial pointer" -- Very unusual -- retro but still modern. Both dial and buttons are illuminated. I like the dial arrangement, buttons, and top metal panel -- the radio has "class". I find it hard to believe this radio is approx. $45USD w/ four rechargeable batteries and AC (220VAC) adapter. The price is unreal for this level of quality and features. FM is stereo and there is a line out. The DE-1103 is noticibly smaller than a Sony ICF-SW7600GR. The voume control operation is different from any other radio I've used but it works fine and doesn't accidently get set too loud. It has recharge capability.

RECEPTION:

The FM reception is a real surprise. Most small pocket radio's FM section drown in a sea of images due to poor mixers and front end selectivity -- those poor radios have problems with the whip fully *retracted*. Not so with the DE-1103: With its whip fully *extended* FM images are at a minimum and selectivity is razor sharp. I'm hearing FM stations that previously I could only hear with a Grundig Satellit 700. I have home component FM tuners that don't perform this well. The stereo switching threshold is very low (which I like) and allows for FM stereo DXing. What a pleasure to cruise the amateur SW bands with the tuning knob and SSB/BFO left on! SW sensitivity via the whip antenna is excellent. Selectivity is very good and the AM/SW sound quality is good. SSB/BFO is fairly stable allowing for ECSS reception (alleviates fading and distortion with SW listening) should one desire to use that method. AM BCB sensitivity is equally excellent even at the band extremes.

Another bonus of this radio is that it doesn't mute while using the tuning knob and is free of the constant "thump, thump". Just only a hint of a "click" when tuning through stations. Great performance.

AUDIO:

The audio quality is supurb. I can't detect a trace of constant "headphone hiss". The stereo sound is wide, clean, distortion free, and quite full with FM. The highs are all there and the bass is tuneful. This radio plays *loud* through headphones and has "drive".

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:

Quibbles? Minor. The dial and button illumination could be a bit more even. It would be nice if the signal strength meter worked with FM. The memories are a bit clumsy to program but it has plenty of them and can be accessed through the tuning knob.

SUMMARY:

The Degen DE-1103 is an incredible radio with great reception and sound quality. Nothing else at five times / ten times the price can touch it. Unbelievable. I think my search for a high performance FM (SW and AM!) compact radio may be over.

Time to go have more fun listening!

Paul

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Where can I buy one!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back