Definitive technology (DefTech) symphony 1
Jul 30, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #76 of 121
Thanks so much for the help. n00b2 instructions worked and usb driver finally installed!

Only issue being you can't change volume, seems to be fixed (max) output...volume controls on headphone doesn't do anything and volume on computer is already set to 0% by default.

Is this to be expected? Seems kind of unfortunate (usb computer mode) as I don't want to be blasted with high volumes even for a short while and risk hearing damage.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #77 of 121
  Thanks so much for the help. n00b2 instructions worked and usb driver finally installed!

Only issue being you can't change volume, seems to be fixed (max) output...volume controls on headphone doesn't do anything and volume on computer is already set to 0% by default.

Is this to be expected? Seems kind of unfortunate (usb computer mode) as I don't want to be blasted with high volumes even for a short while and risk hearing damage.

Again that seems to be a glitch that is easy but annoying to fix. Click the volume button in the taskbar near the time. When this problem is happening and the Symphony 1 startd off at crazy high volume you should see 2 different volumes: 1 for your original speaker and 1 for the Symphony 1. Click anywhere within the Symphony 1 speaker volume. This seems to make the Symphony 1 responsive to volume (and not play super loud at 0%) as previously for some reason the volume was still stuck on changing the previous speakers. Both the volume buttons on the headphones and the computer work after this. As a side note this probably has something to do with the windows usb driver being somewhat buggy. After I installed viper4windows this problem seems to have gone away.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #78 of 121
Oh n00b2, you've done it again, thanks for your awesome help! Got around this odd volume glitch as instructed.

Just hope I don't have to do this every time when I'm using usb mode, might look into viper4windows as suggested.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #79 of 121
  Oh n00b2, you've done it again, thanks for your awesome help! Got around this odd volume glitch as instructed.

Just hope I don't have to do this every time when I'm using usb mode, might look into viper4windows as suggested.

I didn't have to do it every time but it was enough times that I would leave the headphones on the table whenever I connected via USB just in case I was blasted by super loud music. If you've ever used viper4android then you will probably know how viper4windows works. Pretty similar and one of the better equaliser and audio adjustment apps available on windows (when it works). Let us know how you find the sound quality of the Symphony 1 now that it is working correctly!

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #80 of 121
I´ll be receiving a pair of these on monday, looking forward to trying them compared to my daily driver Parrot Zik 2.0. I hope the passive isolation and ANC is not much worse than the Zik´s and if I like the sound and get 10+ hours battery I think these will be a keeper.

I find it strange that there is only one video on YouTube reviewing these, not even some unboxking-vids and stuff like that.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #81 of 121
I've used the Definitive Technology Symphony 1 for a week now with my Sony Z3 phone, Macbook Air and iPad Mini (90% of the time via bluetooth) and this is my opinion. 

Sound quality:
I really like it, a bit muffled in the mid range the first two-three days, but then they opened up a bit. I like the bass, it doesn't feel really deep but it's punchy and doesn't overpower the mid and high's. I don't know how to explain it, but the bass feels "clean" in a way. The highs were fine and noticable. Overall as I said in the beginning I really like the sound quality of the Symphony, no issues there. Compared to my Zik 2.0's the Symphony's sound feels much richer and fuller with a wider soundstage. Most of my music is MP3's (320 kbps) and some streaming from Google Play Music and Spotify. 

Comfort:
Big earpads, but I actually get som discomfort on my left ear from the earcup after 30+ minutes of usage. I have small ears and I haven't found out why this happens. I usually wear glasses with thin rims, but this happens when I'm not wearing them too. The padding (or lack thereof) on the top of the headphone makes them uncomfortable after about 2 hours so I have to take a small break before I can start listening again.

Portability:
Not great, the case is huge and the headphones too but they are lightweight at least. On par with the portability of my Parrot Zik 2.0's as both won't fit in my jacket pocket.

ANC and passive isolation:
Not the best ANC I've encountered, I find them to be on or maybe a little bit below par compared to the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless AE and the Denon AH-GC20. The passive isolation is decent, the size of the earpads shut out some external noise but voices etc are still quite audible. This headset is good at blocking out wind noise though, I could only feel the breeze and not hear it like I would with the Zik 2.0's and some other headsets. I tried them on a train and they did a decent job at silencing some of the rumble but not nearly as much as othe ANC headphones I've tried. The Parrot Zik 2.0's and Samsung Level Over are better at blocking out the noise actively and passively, and of course the Bose QC25's if you don't care about bluetooth.

Battery life: Good, I get about 12-13 hours usage with bluetooth and ANC activated with medium to low volume levels.

General usage and microphone quality:
Using them as a wired headset with the USB-cable connected to my work computer worked great and I used them for a few conference calls with no complaints. I also made several calls on my phone with the headset outside in windy conditions and no one complained or had trouble hearing me. The bluetooh sound quality from calls on my end was okay.

Conclusion:
Great sound, good battery life, decent ANC and passive noise cancelling and not very comfortable og portable. The comfort is the biggest issue for me at this time which is making me contemplate returning them. I'm one of the lucky ones which can use the Zik 2.0's with great comfort,the biggest downside is the 

Here they are pictured together with the box, my Zik 2.0's and for some reason my sunglasses and watch:

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #82 of 121
@andrenb Goor review. What sort of discomfort do you get on the left ear? Seems odd since they won't really push on your ears because of their size. The headband padding does soften over time and become less painful though you could always stick some extra foam on there and that should help too.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #83 of 121
  @andrenb Goor review. What sort of discomfort do you get on the left ear? Seems odd since they won't really push on your ears because of their size. The headband padding does soften over time and become less painful though you could always stick some extra foam on there and that should help too.

I know, it's really weird but I think I've found out the reason; as I have a small head they are just a bit big even when at the smallest headband setting and when I'm walking around the headset moves ever so gently so that the left earcup slides a little bit and starts pushing on the top of my left ear. But yeah, it's weird but it happens every time I wear them unless I sit still and don't move about much. Then they seem to stay in place.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #84 of 121

I know, it's really weird but I think I've found out the reason; as I have a small head they are just a bit big even when at the smallest headband setting and when I'm walking around the headset moves ever so gently so that the left earcup slides a little bit and starts pushing on the top of my left ear. But yeah, it's weird but it happens every time I wear them unless I sit still and don't move about much. Then they seem to stay in place.

I see. That is an odd problem. I would have thought that it would affect both ears rather than just the left one if that was the case. If you stick some extra foam on the headband (or put it in a cloth sleeve like I did) you could probably fix that issue as by putting more padding on it will reduce the space the headphones have to wobble on your head. Would fix the headband comfort issue as well though might not look the prettiest.

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #85 of 121

I see. That is an odd problem. I would have thought that it would affect both ears rather than just the left one if that was the case. If you stick some extra foam on the headband (or put it in a cloth sleeve like I did) you could probably fix that issue as by putting more padding on it will reduce the space the headphones have to wobble on your head. Would fix the headband comfort issue as well though might not look the prettiest.

I found the culprit, the adjustment on the left side of the headset won´t stay closed in the position I prefer so after a while on my head it adjusts itself more and more making the headset more loose.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #86 of 121

I found the culprit, the adjustment on the left side of the headset won´t stay closed in the position I prefer so after a while on my head it adjusts itself more and more making the headset more loose.

I see. I have had that issue as well though for me it is the right side that won't stay in place (though I keep my setting at maximum). The left one has been fine so far. I guess it must be the opposite if your setting is at minimum.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #87 of 121
Really happy with my first 30 minutes with the Symphony 1.  The ANC is some of the best I've experienced.  Comfort is moderate.  Controls are great.  Bass is outstanding.  Musically they are very good.  Great separation and stage.  The only thing I'm experiencing is a bit of sibilance with cymbals I think.  There is just something slightly off with the treble that I can't put my finger on.  Definitely giving them some time tomorrow.  Hopefully they are comfortable in the long run.  Can't hear the TV or my MacBook keyboard right now with music at moderate volume.  Even with no music on you hear very little of either.

I anticipate these are going to knock out my current choice for BT in the Sony 1ABT.

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #88 of 121
  Really happy with my first 30 minutes with the Symphony 1.  The ANC is some of the best I've experienced.  Comfort is moderate.  Controls are great.  Bass is outstanding.  Musically they are very good.  Great separation and stage.  The only thing I'm experiencing is a bit of sibilance with cymbals I think.  There is just something slightly off with the treble that I can't put my finger on.  Definitely giving them some time tomorrow.  Hopefully they are comfortable in the long run.  Can't hear the TV or my MacBook keyboard right now with music at moderate volume.  Even with no music on you hear very little of either.

I anticipate these are going to knock out my current choice for BT in the Sony 1ABT.

Give it a bit of time to burn in. I noticed some slight sibilance and some bass and clarity issues at first but they went away pretty quickly.

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #90 of 121
How come "burn-in" is always for the better
smily_headphones1.gif
?

There's a lot of arguments out there about whether burn in is for the better or whether it even does anything at all. It's not always for the better though for everyone. Sometimes people do prefer the sound before the headphones got burnt in. But quite often a complaint about the sound goes away after burn in (and sometimes new complaints arise which weren't noticed before).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back