Defective USB port?
Apr 17, 2010 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I have a laptop with 3 usb ports 2 on 1 side stacked on top of each other and 1 on the other side. The problem I am having is with the 2 that are stacked on top of each other. I was thinking bad usb cables at first but now I am guessing there may be a bad or cracked solder joint on the usb board? Before today I always thought right channel was slightly louder than the left and slight distortion on the left channel. Now today I jiggled the usb cable in either of the 2 stacked usb and it would cut the audio out. Now a jiggle and it will cut out. The good part is I still have the usb port on the other side that I haven't really used for audio yet. It works just great and does not cut out. Do you think it is the solder joint? I could open the laptop up and re solder them because I do have the skill.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Didn't take long I gave the usb a tap on the side that I thought was good and it kicked out also. Theses are cheap usb cable 1 from a passed away Emu 0404 and 1 from a Musiland 02. I think I will try contact cleaner and a new cable. Any recommendations for a decent cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back