Defected to Appleland!
Feb 18, 2007 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 161

Usagi

1000+ Head-Fier
First time Mac owner as of an hour ago. Thus far, the Macbook is really a treat. The aesthetics are very nice and everything is great now that I figured out how to invoke the secondary click on the trackpad. I don't think I will ever kick my addiction to the right-click mouse function.

Now my journey begins by perusing through the operating system, understanding how information is stored, etc.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time Mac owner as of an hour ago. Thus far, the Macbook is really a treat. The aesthetics are very nice and everything is great now that I figured out how to invoke the secondary click on the trackpad. I don't think I will ever kick my addiction to the right-click mouse function.

Now my journey begins by perusing through the operating system, understanding how information is stored, etc.

Congratulations on your new Mac! You'll love it
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't think I'd kick my right-click addiction either, but now I'm just fine with my control-clicking. I do it without thinking now, and even try to do it when I'm at a non-Mac witih a 2+ button mouse
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 161
Welcome!

Just would like to say one thing get the Extended warranty. I didnt on my 1.5 yr old 12" PB. Now the thing shuts off everytime the sudden motion sensor goes. Real bummer, too bad I dont have money to get a Macbook. Id love to just to be able to install Vista. I want to try it out...
eek.gif

Yeah yeah I know. But come on it looks whisshy and I still like playing computer games so... give me a break.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome!

Just would like to say one thing get the Extended warranty. I didnt on my 1.5 yr old 12" PB. Now the thing shuts off everytime the sudden motion sensor goes. Real bummer, too bad I dont have money to get a Macbook. Id love to just to be able to install Vista. I want to try it out...
eek.gif

Yeah yeah I know. But come on it looks whisshy and I still like playing computer games so... give me a break.

Good news is that I bought Apple's Protection Care. Bad news is that I could have bought another Grado MS2i.
frown.gif
Those extended warranties aren't cheap by any means; Apple Care ($249) or CompUSA's protection plan ($349).

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 161
For those who don't know, on the macbooks and last generation powerbooks, if you put 2 fingers on the trackpad when you're clicking, you get a secondary click.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Once you get familiar YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK OS is bullet proof! Say goodbye to bluescreens of death etc.

I also recommend an Apple mighty mouse it has the two buttons you are looking for! and a very nice scroll wheel. It is wireless and will work nicely with your new Macbook via the build in blue tooth! in your computer.

If not just ctrl Click same as right click on a PC!

Enjoy!

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 161
"Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!"

congrats on the mac purchase.

my mighty mouse can't scroll down anymore. i wanna get the bluetooth MM but i've been re-acquainted w/ trackball mice and inclined to buy one.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 161
What took you so long?!?
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 161
Congratulations!

I've been recommending this stuff to new Mac'ers lately:

-mail appetizer (http://www.bronsonbeta.com/mailappetizer/)
show incoming mail messages on transparent window on top of whatever you're doing, awesome!
-backlight 2 (http://freshsqueeze.com/products/freeware/) to use a screen saver as you background(this is the only thing I'm recommending which is PPC and uses a lot of CPU, but it's just cool to play with not use all the time), checkoff (http://www.carpeaqua.com/software/checkoff/) menu bar checklist, and mainmenu (http://www.santasw.com/) are three dank ass menu bar programs
-some keyboard shortcuts:
1) ctrl-optn-apple 8
2) optn-apple 8 to activate, then optn-apple + or - and mouse around
and last but not least, 3) ctrl-apple d while mousing over a word in safari (and elsewere too I think)

Try these all and they'll blow your little mind away. As far as maintenace, all you need to do (in addition to backing up) is to repair permissions before and after any software or security update and run cron scripts (which you can do within mainmenu)

Have fun!

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time mac owner here too. I got my macbook (black one) in the mail on
wednesday and been loving it.

EDIT: How does one defrag on a mac? (if even needed)

No need to defrag..I think there are some obscure scenarios when one would want to and there is commercial software available, I think called diskwarrior.

Here

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to defrag..I think there are some obscure scenarios when one would want to and there is commercial software available, I think called diskwarrior.

Here

You might need to defrag if you are attempting to do BootCamp and don't have more untouched (read unfragmented) space than what you are trying to partition... *grumblegrumble*

Now I either have to clone my HD and re-format or buy (or "buy") a defragging utility to defrag the hard drive.

Otherwise, I love my MBP.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 161
I wish all of my preferred software worked on macs or had some suitable equivalent... then I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back