Dedicated EQ?
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
Quick question but what would the best way to go about adding EQ to my current setup?

PC (flac/spotify) 
>
USB or SPDIF - Asus Essence STU (Muses upgrade)
>
Schiit Vahalla
>
HD800 or SE846

I know my easiest suggestion is just to get another amp that has more bass which is what I'm going for but I like shaping my bass myself with a bump around the 66hz and a slight bump at 16-20khz range for added impact and clarity. I'm feeling the HD800's are a little sterile sounding but they sound amazing with a little digital EQ. I was wondering if there was a way to add some EQ to my signal path such as a stand alone sound processor mixer or something of the like.

Thanks much for any input!

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 14
Try Amarra sQ.  A 30 day demo is free.  I think $30 if you decide to buy.

http://www.sonicstudio.com/index.html

Edit: Amarra is for Mac only.  Sorry, I don't have experience with eq on PC's, but I think there are choices such as Foobar and JRiver 

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 14
Try this link for a free solution:

http://www.terrywest.nl/equalizers.html

I use the CS12M version but there are others on that page. They are vst plugins which work seamlessly with JRiver and Foobar. These are actually professional tools. Very high quality and free.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the input but I was hoping for a hardware solution. I have tried the foobar2000 eq and it works perfectly but I was hoping to find for use with Spotify or Google Music.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 14
You are unlikely to find a genuine dedicated hardware channel strip within your budget. New and vintage units do exist but the vast majority (all?) of the affordable options will carry out the modifications digitally in software anyway. Converting the input signal to and from digital via an internal ADC/DAC if necessary. It's cheaper that way.

So you might as well look for a dedicated software solution from the start.

Next time you consider upgrading the ASUS/Schitt combo take a look at a pro or semi pro audio interface. Among the many advantages of these handy little devices is the fact that they come with very sophisticated EQ and effects packages built in. To give you some idea of what I'm talking about take a moment to read this info on what I use myself. MOTU Cuemix.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/cuemix-fx-overview.html

Note how you can apply easy to use graphic 7 band parametric EQ independently to any input, output or mix bus independently. You could also add up to  2 compressors, delay and reverb as well if you wished. Highly recommended.

The least expensive unit in the MOTU range with this software is the Microbook 2 @ ~$250.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/microbook/mixing.html

I quote Cuemix because it's what I know so I can answer questions but competing and often cheaper products from the likes of Focusrite, Roland, Native Instruments, RME and SPL all have something similar.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 14
  You are unlikely to find a genuine dedicated hardware channel strip within your budget. New and vintage units do exist but the vast majority (all?) of the affordable options will carry out the modifications digitally in software anyway. Converting the input signal to and from digital via an internal ADC/DAC if necessary. It's cheaper that way.

So you might as well look for a dedicated software solution from the start.

Next time you consider upgrading the ASUS/Schitt combo take a look at a pro or semi pro audio interface. Among the many advantages of these handy little devices is the fact that they come with very sophisticated EQ and effects packages built in. To give you some idea of what I'm talking about take a moment to read this info on what I use myself. MOTU Cuemix.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/cuemix-fx-overview.html

Note how you can apply easy to use graphic 7 band parametric EQ independently to any input, output or mix bus independently. You could also add up to  2 compressors, delay and reverb as well if you wished. Highly recommended.

The least expensive unit in the MOTU range with this software is the Microbook 2 @ ~$250.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/microbook/mixing.html

I quote Cuemix because it's what I know so I can answer questions but competing and often cheaper products from the likes of Focusrite, Roland, Native Instruments, RME and SPL all have something similar.

Very cool! So looking at this it will let me go spdif in to this unit and spdif out with added EQ. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 14
Yes

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 14
Aug 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Pleasure! Wish you joy of it. Cuemix is a phenomenal app at any price and it's effectively free. Hurrah!

Mac users also get AudioDesk which appears to be more than enough serious DAW for most people. It's the only thing they haven't got round to making a Windows version of yet. Grrr. Then again. Reaper is such outstanding value so it's not as if anyone cannot afford a professional quality DAW.

All the pro and semi pro suppliers have something similar though. RME is even better. I'd should probably have saved up a bit more. It's a significant advantage for the companies leveraging their studio experience down into the consumer market. They have experienced programmers in house dedicated to on-going support of flagship software. Not many of the boutique and budget hi-fi competitors can afford the luxury.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 14
I hate to need an EQ but I like more sparkle and low end bump to my music. Having the 60hz bumped and 16khz bumped makes my music sound much more fun to my ears. The headphones I'm using now can easily handle those freqs much better than the cheaper stuff I have had in the past and sound better to boot. 

Like I say I'm not a bass head but I wanted to boost the frequencies that they are missing and I like to hear louder. I don't listen to my music very loud so bumping those freqs or at least having the option is always nice.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 14
I just tried it using a pair of Senn. HD23-1 II.

Which are pretty flat - similar to the 800.

60Hz, Gain of 6 db, wide Q, type IV filter, 20hz, Gain of 3db, wide Q, type 1 filter.

Didn't get much from the very low 20hz boost on it's own  - at any gain available. Maybe if I realy. really cranked it up....

60 Hz makes an obvious difference and with a shelving filter it did make the system 'hum' along pretty sweet..

In the end though a lot of what you get is really making the system louder. If you switch the filters off and boost the overall gain to the same value it sounds better to my ears. Good trick if you were short of gain - use what power there is to the best advantage sort of thing. Then again that's one of those funny things. If you can mimic any sound signature at will you will always tend to go back to flat in the end. I do anyway. Your opinion may differ and no harm in that.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 14
With Cuemix. On a MOTU Ultralite. Of course. 

If you magnify the screenshots and look closely you will find 7 small, square 'targets'. Either with a mouse or the knobs on the font of the device you can alter the frequency, gain, Q and filter shape by clicking on them and dragging. You can make any shape you want in seconds. You can do it on all available inputs, outputs and mixes. Independently.

ed: rd: I only did 6 the first time :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back