Dedicated amp/DAC combo SQ vs. typical cellphone jack SQ (using Grado SR-60i)
Oct 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
If I am using Grado SR-60i headphones, will an amp/DAC combo (such as the JDS Labs C5D) make a noticeable improvement to SQ over a typical Android phone or iPhone headphone jack? It seems listening tests have been done (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html) where it's impossible to tell the difference between cheap and expensive DACs. And since the Grado SR-60i is only 32 ohms, I am not confident that an amp is needed. Yet it seems a large dedicated box MUST sound better than the tiny audio components in a phone...

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennheiserhd485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am using Grado SR-60i headphones, will an amp/DAC combo (such as the JDS Labs C5D) make a noticeable improvement to SQ over a typical Android phone or iPhone headphone jack? It seems listening tests have been done (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html) where it's impossible to tell the difference between cheap and expensive DACs. And since the Grado SR-60i is only 32 ohms, I am not confident that an amp is needed. Yet it seems a large dedicated box MUST sound better than the tiny audio components in a phone...

32ohms isn't the only determinant here, more important is how the Grados have sensitivity comparable to IEMs - high 90s and into 100s, and heck well over 100dB for the e-series. That means that, barring the noise floor thanks to their way too open design, along with their low but not too low impedance, means that there is practically no properly designed circuit (be it a full blown amp or an integrated audio chip in a mainstream device) that will get audible distortion with Grados at safe listening levels. Once you get to hearing damage levels (though of course you can listen briefly up to a point) an amp becomes necessary, but note that beyond something like a Fiio X3 (which has a circuit closer to a portable DAC-HPamp than a mainstream player) or Ibasso D-Zero MkII isn't likely to provide more power that you will actually utilize.

32ohms would only be a problem if whatever you're using - whether it's a smartphone or even an amplifier - has a high enough output impedance. All speaker amps with headphone outputs that I tried with Grados made them sound worse (like tin cans) vs just hooking them up to an iPod or CMOY thanks to their 120ohm output impedance. If your phone doesn't have this problem you've basically eliminated the one possible source of problems driving Grados, and as long as you stay within safe listening levels in quiet environments, then there really is no need to add an amp. Crank it up though and something like an Ibasso D-Zero MkII starts making some difference, but note that beyond that there's really not much more unless you go with the kind of tube amps that will deliberately alter the sound using the tube.

At this point though personally I'd say you save your money. Get an amp later on when you get a headphone that needs it, and then just decide to get one that will not have any trouble driving Grados (ex too high gain, OTL tube amp with very high output impedance, etc). For all you know you might upgrade to a CIEM anyway, might as well spend the money on that than an amp that it likely won't need.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 3

32ohms isn't the only determinant here, more important is how the Grados have sensitivity comparable to IEMs - high 90s and into 100s, and heck well over 100dB for the e-series. That means that, barring the noise floor thanks to their way too open design, along with their low but not too low impedance, means that there is practically no properly designed circuit (be it a full blown amp or an integrated audio chip in a mainstream device) that will get audible distortion with Grados at safe listening levels. Once you get to hearing damage levels (though of course you can listen briefly up to a point) an amp becomes necessary, but note that beyond something like a Fiio X3 (which has a circuit closer to a portable DAC-HPamp than a mainstream player) or Ibasso D-Zero MkII isn't likely to provide more power that you will actually utilize.

32ohms would only be a problem if whatever you're using - whether it's a smartphone or even an amplifier - has a high enough output impedance. All speaker amps with headphone outputs that I tried with Grados made them sound worse (like tin cans) vs just hooking them up to an iPod or CMOY thanks to their 120ohm output impedance. If your phone doesn't have this problem you've basically eliminated the one possible source of problems driving Grados, and as long as you stay within safe listening levels in quiet environments, then there really is no need to add an amp. Crank it up though and something like an Ibasso D-Zero MkII starts making some difference, but note that beyond that there's really not much more unless you go with the kind of tube amps that will deliberately alter the sound using the tube.

At this point though personally I'd say you save your money. Get an amp later on when you get a headphone that needs it, and then just decide to get one that will not have any trouble driving Grados (ex too high gain, OTL tube amp with very high output impedance, etc). For all you know you might upgrade to a CIEM anyway, might as well spend the money on that than an amp that it likely won't need.

This is a very complete response. Thank you for taking the time to write it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back