DecWare Z-dac 1 or Wyred sould Dac-1
Mar 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm finally narrowed down to these two DAC to pair with WA6SE. Although I found there is very few Reviews on them( most of them are sale threads). Especially Z-dac 1. I wonder if anyone had tried them would share their insights with me. In my own preference, I kinda lean on the Z-dac since the USB input on it is its primary input and would sound better than coax and optical ( at least that's what steve said) which is very important since I won't / can't consider other inputs. So please share you opinion

PS: anyone know how's that Z tube stage works?

Best regrads

Bruce

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 9
bump

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 9
bump

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks getting back to me, I'v e seen that review however he didn't give much direct comparison, and since they are very close in term of price I wonder if anyone can do comparison, but I think I would go for the Z cz it has better usb input

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 9

It is not worth to select DAC model based solely on USB interface as there are many USB-to-SPDIF converters available in the market right now (from companies such as HiFace, Audio-GD, Bel Canto etc). I bought HiFace Evo to convert from USB to coaxial/BNC as long term solution and forget about USB all together. Further benefits of using converter include jitter reduction and proper electrical isolation.

I do own W4S DAC-1 and it has good synergy with The Schiit's Valhalla tube headphone amplifier and HD600 headphone probably because of it's high detail/resolution and good transparency. I believe any DAC should be perfectly neutral with high transparency and minimum coloration. Any coloration should be introduced after the DAC in downstream equipments such as amplifier and headphone/speaker. If you used DAC of warm sound signature together with tube amplifier, the outcome might be too warm and not desirable. Thus you only have to invest in one good neutral DAC and tweak sound signature by swapping downstream equipments (cheaper option to tweak sound signature).

If you do not like idea of using USB-to-SPDIF converter, perhaps you should consider comparison between higher grade W4S DAC-2 (with asynchronous USB input) and DecWare Z-DAC 1 instead of W4S DAC-1 which come with common USB interface like many other DAC models in market right now (another good reason to use USB-to-SPDIF converter).

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 9
I have no experience with Z-Dac.

I have personally heard the Wired 4 Sound DAC-1.

I have had listening sessions with a number of highly regarded DAC's including Benchmark, Berkeley, Audio-gd. I have never done a direct comparisn (A/B'ing)

In my opinion the W4S DAC-1 sounds incredible, doubles as a preamp and provides great value.

I think you should try to personally hear both before you make the purchase.

--Shawn

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I was about to order a Zdac as well but I've been reading everything I can on the net and can't make up my mind either.

Originally I was going for a Decware Torii 3 amp, Zdac, and probably the Zstage and some expensive cables. Now I've been reading about the W4S and PS Audio and have changed my mind several times. I'd rather spend less than more and from what I've read I'd probably be better off with the W4S Dac2 since it provides a lot more in's and outs, doesn't require a PreAmp but making that decision will likely make me want to go with one of their amps as well and go full balanced. That would also allow me to go balanced to some headphones later too which the decware dac offers no headphone out at all without buying another 7-800 dollar item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back