Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 1,238
Ask Steve but then your in trouble if some broad knows on your door
deadhorse.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #33 of 1,238
I still dig my Mini Torii. Great little amp.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #35 of 1,238
Outstanding. The MT is one of my favorites with LCD-2 and 3.  Sometimes I think it's the best for those cans that there is. And then I listen to them on the Leben, and I think the Leben is better.  But both are excellent with Audeze.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #36 of 1,238
Hello all,

Just signing in to say that I also have a Mini Torri. Just arrived a couple weeks ago. The wait was a little over 3 months, then I had a rectifier tube blow, and had to wait a few days for them to send over a new one...all tubes are stock right now. 

No major review/write up from me on this amp for at least a few weeks. Looks like Tink and a couple others who just got their Decware amps are waiting a bit as well. The wait was long for the amp, but I have no regrets thus far...I will say that the amp is Beautiful and sounding great and that Decware customer service was top notch as always! 

I also have some Decware Trapezium desktop speakers and will make some comments on those soon. Those are just SEXY and powerful.

My set-up is great right now, but I still have some upgrading to do in the way of power cables/tubes/vibration control/power conditioning...but all that in due time. And my LCD 2 Rev 2's only have like 60hrs on them...This is my first venture into hifi (after years of research) and I think it's a strong one as it is so far. I want to fully enjoy each upgrade. Anyway, I'll try to leave a couple pics of how my set up is thus far (sorry for the low-res shots...I'll post better ones soon :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #37 of 1,238

Quote:
Hello all,

Just signing in to say that I also have a Mini Torri. Just arrived a couple weeks ago. The wait was a little over 3 months, then I had a rectifier tube blow, and had to wait a few days for them to send over a new one...all tubes are stock right now. 

No major review/write up from me on this amp for at least a few weeks. Looks like Tink and a couple others who just got their Decware amps are waiting a bit as well. The wait was long for the amp, but I have no regrets thus far...I will say that the amp is Beautiful and sounding great and that Decware customer service was top notch as always! 

I also have some Decware Trapezium desktop speakers and will make some comments on those soon. Those are just SEXY and powerful.

My set-up is great right now, but I still have some upgrading to do in the way of power cables/tubes/vibration control/power conditioning...but all that in due time. And my LCD 2 Rev 2's only have like 60hrs on them...This is my first venture into hifi (after years of research) and I think it's a strong one as it is so far. I want to fully enjoy each upgrade. Anyway, I'll try to leave a couple pics of how my set up is thus far (sorry for the low-res shots...I'll post better ones soon :)

Nice!   How did you know it was a rectifier tube?  Did it just not light up so it was easy to figure out or did it take some trouble shooting?  Also what speakers are those?  Can you describe what those metal switches in the very front, in the middle, and along the back are for.   Thanks for the pics.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #38 of 1,238
Hey WarriorAnt,

It was very easy to tell the tube was dead because it didn't light up and there was no sound coming from my right channel...in fact initially I thought 3 tubes died because my 6V6 and ECC 82 tubes weren't lighting up as well...I know tubes can fail sometimes so I didn't panic. I think the stock tubes are covered for 90 days so there was no issue to replace it...I actually got Steve on the phone when I called and I told him that 3 of my tubes were dead and he told me that the rectifier tube converts AC into DC and that it powers the output/input tubes and that once I replaced it, those tubes would be powered again. And of course he was right. The manual (downloadable online) was helpful in learning about which tubes were what. All the tubes really have a specific purpose, but it's really 2 amps in one so I can see how one might be intimidated by the amount of tubes as if all 10 are different...but that's not the case at all...it's really two sets of 5 specific tube types, with LOTS of flexibility of what you can swap them out for..

Ok, so the 2 switches in the front are for switching between whatever you have connected to the inputs (2 sets of them on the back)...there are also a pair of output connections in the back as  well (for a sub or something else)...the little switch between the two center tubes is the tone knob on/off switch. When engaged it will ease any bright/harsh sounds your getting from your music source or speakers, when you rotate the center (in my case walnut) knob. When the switch is off it is completely out of the circuit. A handy feature that was intended to be particularly useful for any internet tunes from like Pandora etc that may be too harsh. But it's really something you can use anytime you feel necessary. It goes from subtle to very noticeable. The whole amp was totally intended to be not only used for a "major" hifi rig with floor monitors etc (I've seen pics of this amp driving big floor standing speakers!), but for desktop use next to a laptop as well...that's one of the reasons why it's so small...there are 3 sets of switches on the back. One set to turn on each channel, one set to turn the tube regulation on/off, and one set to engage the headphone input and cancel the speakers.

The speakers are Decware Trapeziums. Check them out, they are one of a kind! Designed for desktop use specifically...no rear facing bass port that you have to worry about keeping under control against a wall...it has this "down-firing" bass port that puts the bass on your desk surface. It sounded interesting to me, as i was looking for something unique and this fit the bill perfectly...I really haven't heard it at it's best yet, but what I can say so far is that the bass is strong...meaning I don't feel I'll be needing a sub with these! But it's tight and not bloated. The speakers also angle slightly upward so you don't need to prop them on top of anything to get them ear level or anything because the crossovers were designed to be below ear level. 

And build quality is excellent! It's hand made and I'm really pleased with it so far...more on them to come :)

-H

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #39 of 1,238

The speakers are Decware Trapeziums

I've been thinking about these.  I don't need and can't use speakers on a regular basis, but decent desktop speakers would be nice to have, particularly since the Taboo will run speaker and headphones at the same time.  Steve has said headphones sound different with speakers connected.  Not better or worse, just difference.  People on the Decware forums lean towards better, with speakers connected, particularly the LCD-2.  

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #40 of 1,238

Quote:

I've been thinking about these.  I don't need and can't use speakers on a regular basis, but decent desktop speakers would be nice to have, particularly since the Taboo will run speaker and headphones at the same time.  Steve has said headphones sound different with speakers connected.  Not better or worse, just difference.  People on the Decware forums lean towards better, with speakers connected, particularly the LCD-2.  

The Decware speaker has a planar tweeter and 8inch  driver . That would give you better and deeper bass abd more transparency in the mids and treble. Its a 1K speaker. I am satisfied with my Omega setup but I do like the way the decware monitor looks and would like to hear it but not in the mood to sell mine as they are really good also with the Hemp Cone driver. Check out the DM945

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #41 of 1,238

Quote:

..... yes those are Ikea chairs as my speaker stands :)

I'm also using IKEA chairs for my speakers. :)

Got a pair of "High Chairs" - a.k.a. Barstools with adjustable height from IKEA.
They were really cheap and good.

BTW, I've got a CSP2+ from Decware.

Decware amps are definitely worth the long wait.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #42 of 1,238
im hoping to start a speaker setup later this year or early next year. would these be good? http://www.decware.com/newsite/MG944.html  i have zero experience in speakers and dont want to buy this and sell them etc like i did with headphones.
how do they compare to anything its price or lower? also, i have the csp2+ which is a pre-amp (which i dont fully understand) but i am under the impression i would need another amp to power the speakers right? are there any cheaper options that would work well with the csp2+? i dont have the cash to buy the speakers and an amp like the mini torii or something although i wish i could.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #43 of 1,238

Quote:
Hello all,

Nice I am actually saving a little for the trap speakers right now.  I have heard really great stuff about them and they just look awesome to boot :)
Yeah I am in the mist of burning in my mini torii for the next few weeks and then i am moving, but hopefully i get a chance to give my thoughts before the move.  I want to get used to the sound a little before I start posting it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back