Deciding on my new table...
Jan 21, 2010 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

theHof

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I've owned about 6 turnables, all under 80 bucks at the record store. I'm currently running an MCS Direct drive. However I really would like to get an upgrade in table, something that's actually decent. My budget for the table itself is $300-$425. Right now I'm thinking either a brand new Rega P1, a used P2 or Planar 3. However, I'd like to know how a used Technics SL1200 or 1300 with an upgraded cartridge (I've been thinking the Shelter 201) would compare. This would of course be for use primarily with headphones

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Both the Planar 2/3 and the Technics decks are nice places to start. Both can be upgraded as you have budget for later.

You can search here and the other sites, AudioAsylum, and AudioKarma come to mind, there are endless discussions of the merits of belt drive, and the venerable, tank-like direct-drive Technics.

I am currently running my Dad's old Mitsubishi direct drive table from the 60's with an Ortofon cartridge (~$125) and its serving well atm. I spent this christmas upgrade money on speakers and a record cleaning machine, which has sincerely upgraded my SQ.

I will be looking at the Rega and VPI debate when I am ready to upgrade.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 13
I'd go with a used Rega Planar 3. I was trying to decide between one and a Technics at first, but went with the Rega for being more musical and having a simpler design.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 13
or to throw a completely unrelated 3rd table, i keep seeing decently priced Marantz 6300 tables. They're such a good looking table I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about how they sound.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 13
From what I have heard, secondhand, the Marantz 6300 is a pretty decent deck, back from the era when the Japanese were making really nice DD turntables. I prefer the big Denons like the DP 57/59/60/62/72, which are bigger and heavier - but that Marantz would be nice if it is in good condition - much better than any cheap plastic DD deck.

But I am not sure I'd pay too much for one, if it required shipping. Better to get a P3, properly set up, from a local dealer.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 13
while still considering a higher-end table I made a little impulse buy. I picked up a Dual 1209 for $5, it needs a headshell and cart and has a couple other little problems. I hear a lot of people raving about the dual tables and just wondered if this thing would be worth fixing up and actually using it. I bought it because the table itself is really clean (and i love the way it looks) and I could get a new plinth for it relatively cheap and it could look really nice.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 13
Jan 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 13
I have owned about ten Duals. I think they are quite nice - especially at their price. I had several 12 series Duals. Totally worth fixing up. Just stay away from Grado cartridges - they hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back