Deciding btw v6, a500, hd280 n d66
Sep 3, 2004 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

New Head-Fier
Hiya guys. I'm looking primarily for a pair of closed gaming headphones to play competively so positional cues must be good. It'll be unamped and I've looked around and narrowed down my choice to these headphones below. The prices were in sing dollars but I converted them to US for you guys to see.
v6@110. a500@90. hd280@117. d66@95.

I'm looking for the best among these for gaming but if theres not much difference between them, I won't mind choosing one that's more musical.
Hope you guys can help me make a difficult decision easier. Thanks!

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Definately the A500. Unless you need to use them portably (i.e. while walking around) they'd be perfect. Great gaming 'phones and probably the best of the bunch for music. And for $90 that's a steal.

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 18
I would go for the A500s
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Definately the A500. Unless you need to use them portably (i.e. while walking around) they'd be perfect. Great gaming 'phones and probably the best of the bunch for music. And for $90 that's a steal.

Hi radar, have you spent much time listening to 280 pros? I'm considering those or a500s as well. Any specific thoughts on 280 vs a500?

Sep 5, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 18
Ok thanks for all the posts. Do you guys think the A500 will reveal all the source flaws. eg hissing in the sound card? Are they truly studio headphones like the v6 that will show the true sound?

Sep 5, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 18
I'm also trying to decide between the A500 and the V6 myself. There's no clear choice as of now. The A500 look like better phones...but how much better i wonder, because they cost about $40-50 more. Would they be worth the extra dough?

Sep 5, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yongenhui
Ok thanks for all the posts. Do you guys think the A500 will reveal all the source flaws. eg hissing in the sound card? Are they truly studio headphones like the v6 that will show the true sound?

The A500s will probably not reveal too much of the hiss. That's probably a good thing if you're using a soundcard. The v6 sound like utter crap... I wouldn't use them under any condition...

Oh, and none of the headphones you mentioned should not be used for studio applications. Their distoration level is far too high.

Sep 5, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
Hi radar, have you spent much time listening to 280 pros? I'm considering those or a500s as well. Any specific thoughts on 280 vs a500?

I have not but you can read a comparison in Comanndo's review.

Sep 5, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmiya
Oh, and none of the headphones you mentioned should not be used for studio applications. Their distoration level is far too high.

In fact, the only headphones that have a "low enough distoration level" are all extremely open headphones that shouldn't be used in the studio at all due to their profuse outward sound leakage. After all, what good is a headphone used for studio applications if it leaks far more sound to the outside than it delivers to your ears?

That said, Sony has NEVER listed the distortion level on any of their headphones. But most of Sony's headphones have a fairly high colouration level (the noticeable and audible peaks and valleys in their measured response curves).

Sep 5, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yongenhui

Unfortunately for me, it did reveal how bad my nforce audio was. I head some distortion and hissing that I never heard before. The sound was very closed in and weak in the upper frequencies. I had no problem spending $25 for the AV-710 and unamped through the high quality output, it is much better. Of course now I want to try the A900s.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back