Deciding between Shure SE215 and Meelectronics A151, and taking price into account...
Dec 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ppoon

New Head-Fier
I've read several reviews of the Shure SE215 and Melectronics A151 and they are generally very positive, with the Shure being a very good overall and the A151 being very accurate but quite a dull iem. I listen to pop, r&b, and increasingly classical (piano) music, but i'm by no means a basshead and i appreciate clarity and crispness of sound. I would really appreciate any advice on which iems i should get, bearing in mind that i can get the A151s for 40 pounds and the Shures for 70 pounds on amazon... any help is very much appreciated, thanks a lot!

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I wouldn't call the SE215 crisp. They have slightly emphasized bass, midbass and mids, with rolled off treble. They sound great but probably aren't what you're looking for. I see them as most ideal for vocal trance, hip-hop, indie rock.

I would suggest you look at RE Zeros, from what I have read.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you very much for your reply. I have looked at the Re0 but I generally prefer earphones that go around the ear as I seem to be able to get a better seal with them than ones that go straight in, the A151 and Shures do also look slightly cooler :p

The thing is I've never owned a pair of single balanced armature driver earphones and have heard that they're very accurate but tend to be a bit dull. Given the music that I listen to (pop and piano), do you think I'd like them? If so do you think I'd get around the same sound quality from the A151 and Westone 1? If not is there anything you'd recommend for my genres? I especially appreciate the transparency and crispness of piano music, but also enjoy some (but definitely not excessive) bass in pop. Thanks so much I really appreciate your help!

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 5
I listen to similar stuff (I think) and love my A151s. For the price they go at now you really can't go wrong with them.
FWIW I listened to a demo pair of SE215s the other day for about 5 mins and didn't like them very much compared to my A151s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back