decided on getting a Shure SRH440, have a couple last questions i would like answered
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

I544CJ0N35

New Head-Fier
So I came here a few days ago to determine what new headphones I should get and decided on some shures. However I walked into a local office supply store today and found the Beats Audio Solo headphones on sale for 129.99 USD. This seems like a really good deal.

Now I'm at an impass here because I've always wanted to get some solos but they've always been too pricey. And with this deal going on I'm rethinking my decision.

I know there is a lot of hate for Beats in this community. What I'm looking for is some advice on what I should do about this. Please hold off on the belligerent crap :) .

So the ultimate question is should I take advantage of the sale, or go with my initial decision?

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 7
What are you looking for in a headphone? We aren't going to torch you if you say style. If you want something stylish, then the beats, M50s and shures are probably what you want in that price range. If you want sound quality, then you have lots of options. I guess the real question here is what do you want in your new headphones?

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 7
I've listened to neither the solos nor the SRH440s.

I have SRH840s on my ears right now and I have listened to the Beats Studios.

Studios = Kmart boom box

840s = studio monitors sans the soundstage

If you just wanna shake the junk in your trunk then the Beats are probably OK but for any remotely "professional" audio application where you want to hear how a recording was intended to sound go with the Shures

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
So I came here a few days ago to determine what new headphones I should get and decided on some shures. However I walked into a local office supply store today and found the Beats Audio Solo headphones on sale for 129.99 USD. This seems like a really good deal.
Now I'm at an impass here because I've always wanted to get some solos but they've always been too pricey. And with this deal going on I'm rethinking my decision.
I know there is a lot of hate for Beats in this community. What I'm looking for is some advice on what I should do about this. Please hold off on the belligerent crap :) .
So the ultimate question is should I take advantage of the sale, or go with my initial decision?

Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580

Very best,

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7
What are you looking for in a headphone? We aren't going to torch you if you say style. If you want something stylish, then the beats, M50s and shures are probably what you want in that price range. If you want sound quality, then you have lots of options. I guess the real question here is what do you want in your new headphones?

I completely forgot to include all the pertinent information :) . Well this is what I was thinking before I decided on the shures:

I like having nice lows when it comes to bass.
I don't want to use an amp at all.
I'm what you could call an average listener looking for a nice sound, so I don't want to have something complicated.
I want something comfortable; the GI's tended to clamp on my head too tightly. I had to keep fussing with them trying to find its best position.
Budget of $150.00
Also thus will be my first "enthusiast" grade headphones. I want to be able to set a standard with them for my future hp's. So it must be quality.
Style would be a nice plus.

So this is the criteria I've been trying to meet. Hopefully that helps.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 7
I've listened to neither the solos nor the SRH440s.

I have SRH840s on my ears right now and I have listened to the Beats Studios.

Studios = Kmart boom box

840s = studio monitors sans the soundstage

If you just wanna shake the junk in your trunk then the Beats are probably OK but for any remotely "professional" audio application where you want to hear how a recording was intended to sound go with the Shures

Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580

Very best,

Thanks for these tips, I'll definitely keep them in consideration when I finally decide on something.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 7
If you want lots of bass + something that sounds decent with no amp then the 580s MalveauX suggested are definitely worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back