decent optical cable?
Feb 18, 2007 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
last time i had a setup with an optical cable it sounded like crap... i'm going to be connecting the optical output of either a 1212M or Juli@ to a DAC. anyone have a suggestion for a decent optical cable? i refuse to pay over $200 for interconnects, by the way- so no Aural Symphonics Optimism v2

couldn't find anything in search

edit: SPDIF by the way, although that should be obvious. there's no USB/Firewire in my DAC of choice

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 10
how about the upper end of what headroom offered, acoustic research maybe i think, don't know, or dayton

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 10
Are you sure it was the cable that was causing the problems in your setup? If it wasn't, you'd be dropping money on the wrong thing. And if it was the cable, it might have just been a defective one. Try another cheapie and see if that makes any difference.

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 10
I use a glass Sonicwave cable. Unless your source's diode is rubbish, the difference between plastic and glass is inaudible. Of course, if you do have a problem, it'll be along the lines of zero lock and silence.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 10
There really isn't such thing as an optical cable that sounds like crap, unless it is broken. Optical cables transfer digital information via light and either the data gets there or it doesn't. Sure there is jitter, but that really doesn't sound like crap. If you are hearing static or distortion, it is most likely caused by clipping and not the cable.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 10
eBay Glass or AudioGon Glass, moving up there is WireWorld SuperNova and VanDenHul? Optocoupler, further up is Nordost WhiteLight Glass.

At the end of the day, pick a price point and make sure you buy glass and not plastic. Moving up the line buys you better looks and connectors. The WireWorld connectors for instance rotate freely so the glass is never twisted.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 10
I have had pretty good luck with these if you really don't need glass:

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_inf...products_id=68

Can get different colors too to wow your friends.
wink.gif
See other people recommend them as well and never heard anything bad yet. Custom lengths is cool too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back