decent IEM's for the gym?
Jul 12, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #16 of 18
I have been using iems in the gym for many years. I started with the Ety ER4S. Those got displaced by the Sure E3c for the over the ear fit. SQ was not as good, but adding a series resistor brought up the treble. Those have since been displaced by my modified Sure E4c. They fit my ears better (once I took out the pivot stop) and I like the sound better than the E3. I absolutely hate the sound and the fit of the E5.

Lately I have added a Xin supermini amp to the mix. Increasing the output impedence brings up the treble, and the bass boost is nice for low volume listening.

iems have saved my ears on countless occasions. There are plenty of goons with hearing loss who like to advertise their presence by slapping large weights together or dropping loaded bars into racks. I don't have to listen to that nonsense anymore.

gerG

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seroka2
chrisfromalbany,
Are you able to wear the UE-10s at the gym? I already killed a pair of e5s wearing foamies (shure was nice enough to replace them) and haven't had any trouble with the tri-flange tips. However, I'd like to get a custom iem, but if the seal's not good enough to keep the sweat out, I might just get another universal.

A good/properly fitting custom IEM will keep the sweat out no problem. Think about all the rock stars that get incredibly sweaty while on stage...

I've used the Westone ES2, ES3, UE10Pro, UE5c, and Sensaphonics at the gym with no problems at all. Personally I think its a great time to listen to some incredible music and its one of the big things that keeps me going back to the gym. I say go custom, you won't regret it! (personal favortie custom IEM for the gym...Westone ES2)

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #18 of 18
I use my Super.fi 3s at work, which probably involves more contortions and sweat than any gym workout. With the memory wire over the ear they ride like I glued them in and that helps a lot with microphonics. Plus, if you actually have to talk to someone, the memory wire lets that earphone just hang on your ear, you don't have to hold onto it, or toss it over your shoulder, or stick it in your pocket. Sound is very good, on par with my ER-6 but without the difficult insertion/removal. They have also proven more durable than I was led to expect by threads around here. This my most used headphone, it's light, easy to use, offers good isolation and hides well enough to not offend the straights.

Two more thoughtsL
1. picked my up used here for about $85
2. painted the back of the right one red because the clear model is next to impossible to tell which is which.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back