December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Dec 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #826 of 1,331
  But in this Indistinguishable category, the Emotiva is by far the best Features * Quality / Price. 
I has everything: remote controlled analog pre-amp; SE and Balanced output; dual headphone amps; all kinds of digital inputs (except I2S) and it even has an analog input 
eek.gif

@Gary: did you try the built-in headphone outputs yet or do you save that for later?
This could be where the Dangerous Source take the lead. I really like my DS at work with the RE-262 or Spirit Pro.
It didn't quite match the EF-6 with the LCD-X, though. I didn't try the Hifimen cause they are balanced only.

The Emotiva is impressive at $500.  I think the DS headphone amp is good, but not great with the LCD-X, but I didn't get a chance to listen to any others. The DS is good enough that it could hold me over if i sold my Mjolnir, until I found a high performing match for the LCD-X.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #827 of 1,331

FWIW, the Emotiva DC-1 uses the LM4562 opamps, the same as the Benchmark DAC2.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what role the opamps play in the circuit? Do these have a fairly large impact on the sound signature?

If the opamps have a "large" impact on the sound signature, something is probably wrong...

edit: the LM4562 is probably for voltage gain and/or buffering a line output. If you want to play with rolling opamps, make sure the ones you swap in are compatible (if you don't know what to look for on the spec sheet, then don't do it).
edit2: or possibly for a filter or servo *shrug*

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #828 of 1,331

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what role the opamps play in the circuit? Do these have a fairly large impact on the sound signature?

Without looking at the DAC2 schematic, these are usually used to amplify the signal of the DAC (buffer). Other opamps can also be used for LPF among other things.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #829 of 1,331

If the opamps have a "large" impact on the sound signature, something is probably wrong...

edit: the LM4562 is probably for voltage gain and/or buffering a line output. If you want to play with rolling opamps, make sure the ones you swap in are compatible (if you don't know what to look for on the spec sheet, then don't do it).

Thanks for the info.

Emotiva have stated that the op amps do not have the ability to be rolled in the DC-1.

I wasn't thinking when I asked that question. OP amps can sometimes be rolled, with the Asus Xonar being one of the most notable DACs with that feature.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #831 of 1,331
Thanks for the info.

Emotiva have stated that the op amps do not have the ability to be rolled in the DC-1.

I wasn't thinking when I asked that question. OP amps can sometimes be rolled, with the Asus Xonar being one of the most notable DACs with that feature.

Some circuits may be more flexible/tolerant of rolling in different opamps. Others may be built with the characteristics of one very specific one in mind. In such a case one should probably not try to swap in their own (a possible exception may be with a higher grade version of the same part, but I digress).

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #832 of 1,331
The LM4562HA and LME49720HA are electrically identical to the plastic dip LM4562 and could potentially be a safe swap.  Of course do at your own risk and don't blame Emotiva if you destroy their piece.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #833 of 1,331
Folks:

Bad news... the Niles switch has pretty much failed.  It was becoming a bit harder to turn over the past couple of days, and now it has really gotten hard to switch inputs.  I'm not even sure I'm getting good connections every time at this point.  That gives you an indication of how much switching I've been doing over the past few weeks. I just wore the thing out.  Fortunately, it is under warranty, but I need to be making decisions long before I can get it fixed or replaced.  Looks like I'm gonna have to do things the hard way now...I might try my ancient Adcom pre-amp in the loop, but I think it will color the sound.  Any other ideas would be welcome.

Before the switch quit, I had been comparing the Benchmark, Chordette and DM Source playing DSD,  The Chordette is slightly smoother than both of them.  I can't distinguish the Benchmark and DM Source.  And yes, the Chordette light was blue, and the Benchmark DSD 2X light was lit.

The difference is extremely subtle.  It certainly would not be a primary discriminator for me, but if all other things were equal, I would choose the Chordette.  Of course all other things aren't equal, so the Chordette and Benchmark are both going back. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #834 of 1,331
Too bad....

Why not run the remaining tests through the DS or Emo analog inputs, allowing instant switching between a test and Indistinguishable unit?

And, the emo of course has the remote which makes this easier!

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #835 of 1,331
I also tried to download the free trial app to run these DACs with my phone.  Total failure:  the phone doesn't recognize any app having been downloaded, but I can see the file if I look for it on the phone via the computer.  I am not willing to risk downloading the ~$10 app.  If their free trial doesn't work, why should I take the chance that the $10 program will?  Or that it won't brick my phone?  I just don't trust this application, and I don't have time to mess with it any further.

Sorry androidians, you'll just have to find another way to expand your list of tested DACs.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #836 of 1,331
The question is whether the analog inputs on the Source or Emo are transparent... anybody have any ideas on that?  In the meantime, I'm going to try to find two channels on the switch that work well enough to use.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #839 of 1,331

I would argue that a properly deployed and properly chosen Op Amp has very little effect or impact on the sound signature.
Board layout and power supply design would have a greater effect.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #840 of 1,331
I have gone with my other idea and I'm now using the Benchmark as a pre-amp, at least for a couple of days until I box it up and return it.  I already have an RAN for it, and had printed out the shipping label when the Niles switch crapped out on me.  The Benchmark has two analog inputs, which means I can A/B 2 other units at the same time.  I assume that it is treating both exactly the same, and initial tests with the Yulong and DM Source hooked up seem fine.  Just a heads up, so far, through 1.5 songs, I hear more differences by changing the Yulong filters than I do between the Yulong with sharp filtering and the DM Source... but there's still lots of testing to do. 

Happy New Year folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back