Death Metal Discussion
May 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #151 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading through this thread I decided to take a chance and get Septic Flesh - Communion and I must say I am loving what I am hearing. This is quite fantastic.

There is no way in hell I wouldve found this album had it not been for this thread, keep it going guys!

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but these guys just don't do it for me at all. It's too paint-by-numbers, and the vocals are annoying. Not black metal, not really death metal. Meh.
redface.gif

May 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #152 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but these guys just don't do it for me at all. It's too paint-by-numbers, and the vocals are annoying. Not black metal, not really death metal. Meh.
redface.gif

EZ
I thought you were open to all types of metal, I have everything I can find by Septic Flesh, great stuff.
Everything is hybrid style today, no pure black or death metal...........you will not surpass the great works of the ancient ones from golden era so why keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

I am not saying SF are unique because I can easily name 20 nordic bands that are similar style and music is just as good or better, but that is what makes music fun to search these groups out......internet has made this possible

May 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #153 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EZ
I am not saying SF are unique because I can easily name 20 nordic bands that are similar style and music is just as good or better, but that is what makes music fun to search these groups out......internet has made this possible

I don't have time to listen to even 10 good nordic bands, let alone the 21st! Anyway, what are some of the other bands in this style that you think are better than SF? I've given you a bunch of recs, it's time for some payback
biggrin.gif
...I promise to check every one of them out, at least, their MySpace.

BTW, there's a fantastic old hardcore band called Septic Death (check 'em out) that I'm always reminded of when I hear someone mention Septic Flesh. Maybe that's the reason I have a bias against the latter.

May 30, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #154 of 650
EZ
you people give me too much work to do..............
cool.gif

Remember Septic Flesh have been around for long time dating back to early 1990s during the golden era of the ancient ones, so thier style has changed and evolved over the years to where it is today. They hail from Greece which has a nice underground dark metal scence, but nowhere near as developed as nordic or even slavic countries, sympathetic artists include:

-Rotting Christ (also from Greece, best known group from this scence)
-Astarte (female group from Greece)
-Kalmah
-Dimmu Bogir
-Dissection
-Naglfar
-Old Man's Child
-Catamenia
-Siebenburgen
-Thyrane
-Agathodaimon
-Graveworm
-Moonspell
-Opera IX

ETC ETC

All have distorted vocal technique, very heavy fast yet melodic music with dark themes......this really is another subject from this thread, but has been discussed in great detail in darkest desires 1-5 threads for many years

May 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #155 of 650
Of these, I've listened to Dimmu (former black metal band; For all Tid and Stormblast were great albums - everything after sucked), Dissection (another former black metal band, and "Storm of the Light's Bane is their one great album), Graveworm (when I first got into bm, this is the type of stuff I was listening to, but I quickly moved on).

As I promised, I will listen to all these (and thanks, for taking the time to make the list). However, I'm pretty sure none of these will really do it for me. I'm just not into quasi-black or death metal. I guess it's like metalcore for me. If you want steak, you go to a steak house, not a crab shack. Also, and this is just my pet peeve, I really don't like the "melodic" moniker these bands are given. I guess "melodic" in metal is taken to be anything with piano or violin. It's really a formula these bands exploit, not unlike Evanescence.

May 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #156 of 650
Well, I did listen to a few songs from each of these bands. It's pretty much exactly what I expected. They're all riffing on the CoF sound in one way or another. I'd say the best of the bunch are Opera IX, but even they don't really do anything for me. I'm just not into this gothic, melodic metal anymore. I was a few years ago, but it's just not my thing these days.

FYI:
Nagelfar - awesome german black metal band not to be confused with the Swedish Naglfar that you listed. They made at least two classic albums: Strontgorrth (1998) and Virus West (2001). Worth checking out for anyone unfamiliar.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #157 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EZ
Everything is hybrid style today, no pure black or death metal...........you will not surpass the great works of the ancient ones from golden era so why keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

Not true at all.

Listen to repugnant, or hail of bullets. Two new death metal bands hailing from the Scandinavian scene, if I am not mistaken.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #158 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, there's a fantastic old hardcore band called Septic Death (check 'em out) that I'm always reminded of when I hear someone mention Septic Flesh. Maybe that's the reason I have a bias against the latter.

... any idea if the official Septic Death discography CD is ever going to see the light of day?

remember them announcing in 2000 that it was being put together for release on Prank Records. but still nothing after eight years
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #159 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsidemetalhd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... any idea if the official Septic Death discography CD is ever going to see the light of day?

remember them announcing in 2000 that it was being put together for release on Prank Records. but still nothing after eight years
frown.gif

No idea. Sounds a little like waiting for Chinese Democracy.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #162 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any maggots here? I'm patiently awaiting the slipknot's new album. I realize slipknot's not death metal but somewhat close
wink.gif

We'll forget you mentioned it, if you nicely move along
wink.gif
. Seriously, scram.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #163 of 650
Yeah Slipknot is numetal, not deathmetal. But still ezkcdude, this isnt metal-archives...

But anyway, I realised that Darkspace has just released a new album. A must buy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back