Death Metal Discussion
May 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #121 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite death metal albums. Autopsy is just brilliant. Like Black Sabbath transmogrified into death metal.

Well I got Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Must admit this is great stuff, much better than I would ever thought. I like the fact that music uses many tempos slow/mid/fast (plus some evil sludge) and the vocals are pretty sick with many distortion variations and delivery speeds.........amazing all the stuff you can go back and find! Bonus points for TM.....

I like this much better than the later ultra fast brutal DM that most people think is great.

May 13, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #122 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I got Autopsy - Mental Funeral
...amazing all the stuff you can go back and find! Bonus points for TM.....

I guess you didn't read my post, eh?
frown.gif

May 13, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #123 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you didn't read my post, eh?
frown.gif

Yes EZ also makes good call also with Autopsy.......not sure if Sodom is considered DM, probably thrash/speed metal but I picked up Agent Orange and Tapping the Vein to go with 1st two albums which I already have, this thread costing me money but getting more wicked tunes cheap
cool.gif

Now that I have Autopsy your top 5 DM looking very solid.......except I am not a fan of Cannibal Corpse

May 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #124 of 650
Quote:

Now that I have Autopsy your top 5 DM looking very solid.......except I am not a fan of Cannibal Corpse

I highly recommend you tracking down Disharmonic Orchestra's Not to Be Undimensional Conscious. I guarantee it will be up your alley.

May 14, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #125 of 650
Quote:

I highly recommend you tracking down Disharmonic Orchestra's Not to Be Undimensional Conscious. I guarantee it will be up your alley.

You be right..........order has been placed for used CD, sounds very progressive like Cynic

May 14, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #126 of 650
My favorite Death Metal artists(and only I listen to) are Disarmonia Mundi, In Flames, Scar Symmetry, and Soilwork.

All great artists, except IF for pumping out not as good albums(RtR - ASOP).

May 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #127 of 650
Quote:

Checking out my CDs by Death (the group) and they are truely great examples of the genre......the only real weakness is that the vocals were limited in what they did, very little distortion ability and small dynamic range.

But musically they are great for me, not super fast tempos so speed freaks may get a little bored, but sound great overall and stand the test of time with thier quality after many repeated listenings especially with good headphones that allow you to hear deep into the mix.

Last 4 albums are just essential death metal for me:
-individual thought patterns
-human
-symbolic
-sound of persaverance

Indeed. The best part about Death isnt their "brutality" in sonics, crushing and intense production to fake brutality, but simply awesome and violent riffs, and not a mismash of "progressive" riffs but riffs that go together with a support of drums and bass guitar producing simply excellent songs. Song Together As One from Human album is my fav, no nonsense t(h)rashing deathmetal to the core that works like fist hitting an eye.

May 21, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #128 of 650
Quote:

You be right..........order has been placed for used CD, sounds very progressive like Cynic

So, did you get any of these albums yet?

May 21, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #129 of 650
Quote:

So, did you get any of these albums yet?

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Got two Autopsy:
-Mental Funeral
-Severed Survival
Both are very good but Mental Funeral is easily my fav.......as I mentioned previously very good varied dirtorted vocal tecnique (far superior to Death for instance) and music spans the gamut from slow evil sludge to hyper shredfest, fabulous! (they don't make cool stuff like this anymore)

Also got two Disharmonic Orchestra Cds...........but they are still on the CDs to play pile, more info soon

May 22, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #130 of 650
Quote:

Also got two Disharmonic Orchestra Cds...........but they are still on the CDs to play pile, more info soon

OK gave DO "Undimensional Conscious" a spin and it is interesting but not really my favorite style. Unusual beat patterns with funky up front bass sound, perhaps too progressive for its own good, tries hard to be different sounding.............vocals aren't bad but I like Autposy much more overall.

May 22, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #131 of 650
Quote:

OK gave DO "Undimensional Conscious" a spin and it is interesting but not really my favorite style. Unusual beat patterns with funky up front bass sound, perhaps too progressive for its own good, tries hard to be different sounding.............vocals aren't bad but I like Autposy much more overall.

Then...you may actually like DO's first album Expositionprophylaxe - it's more straightforward death metal - but very agressive and tight. Anyway, glad you like Autopsy. I think they're still one of the more underated dm bands.

May 22, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #133 of 650
Quote:

Then...you may actually like DO's first album Expositionprophylaxe - it's more straightforward death metal - but very agressive and tight. Anyway, glad you like Autopsy. I think they're still one of the more underated dm bands.

I do like that better but seems pretty one dimensional compared to Autopsy who have more varied musical tempos and vocal delivery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back