Dead Heads (The Grateful Dead) -- Which version to buy?
Apr 10, 2010 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
Apr 11, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 7
If you are looking for studio albums, my personal favorites are....Anthem of the Sun (which sounds like a live album honestly), Aoxomoxoa, American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, and the best (IMO) Blues For Allah. Live Dead...well I would head over to dead.net to see all the possible choices you have, there is the Dick's Picks catalogue, many shows of which are very worthwhile owning. I would say to look for shows between 1969-73 and 1976-1977 for the best live Dead material. Live/Dead is a very good starting place though, as well as Skull & Roses also titled "Grateful Dead", and Europe '72. Buy remasters if you are going to buy studio albums though.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the quality of the "import" CDs are better? Is it worth the extra cash?

I don't like Amazon's method of listing CDs or albums. They don't make it clear exactly what version a recording is. They don't tell you what the catalog number is. It really makes it difficult if you are looking for a specific version of a recording. It also makes it difficult to find out if an import version is the same or different than the regular domestic USA version.

Often the import versions are the same (as in same mastering) as the regular domestic USA version. There may be differences in cover art or liner notes or in collectibility, but the actual mastering may be the same. Or the mastering may be different. Just because an import version is more expensive doesn't mean it is better.

I don't like Amazon's listing methods. They need to list catalog numbers and accurate release dates so buyers know what they're getting and sellers can now exactly where to list a particular version of a CD/album.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Generally speaking, you want the paper sleeve (digipak) versions of the major GD releases. These should all be the "Golden Road" HDCD remasters, which are significant improvements over previous pressings and have worthwhile bonus tracks.

One of the links you posted was a Japanese SHM-CD release. I have no experience with these, but they are very highly regarded in some circles. I'd still want the remaster/bonus track edition, personally.

Good luck...

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Best recording of theirs I've ever heard is the live acoustic Dead Reckoning on vinyl.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 7
If your budget allows, definitely go for the "Golden Road" box sets.

If you're looking for Dead STUDIO albums that both sound good and have great music, try "Workingman's Dead", "American Beauty", and "Terrapin Station". The GD were, of course, more a live band than a studio band. "Hundred Year Hall", "One From The Vault", "Go To Nassau", and "Truckin' Up To Buffalo" are great live recordings that feature astonishingly good sonics, although there are many, many more. The GD were, after all, the most recorded band in history
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back