DDC for Silver Denafrips Pontus
Mar 6, 2024 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nighthink

100+ Head-Fier
May I ask which DDC you pair with the silver version of Pontus II?
I've been intrigued to add a DDC into my chain for quite some time already, but almost all Denafrips DDCs are made just in black (except Gaia, which is probably overkill for Pontus II). And I'm not very keen to add one standalone black box to my all-silver stack.

Of course, it should be still some quality piece, at least on pair with Denafrips Iris.

Thanks.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 17
I don't know how they compare with the Iris but the Gustard U18 and Singxer SU6 both come in silver. When I owned the Iris and silver Pontus II, I just hid the Iris out of sight.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 17
I was aware of Gustard U18 (not so much Singxer), just neither of them seems to have such a nice ultra-pure occ copper transformer inside as Iris or Hermes. Also, I'm not fan of the LCD displays on such devices..

But maybe I'm just biased. Will check them deeper. Thanks.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 17
Mar 6, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 17
This looks promising. But is the SU6 really available in silver? :) Can't find single photo in silver..
Even on the official page only in black: http://www.singxer.com/pd.jsp?id=77

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 17
Good question and now I'm not sure. Apos has it listed in silver, but sold out and no picture of it.

1709761437928.png

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 17
I was aware of Gustard U18 (not so much Singxer), just neither of them seems to have such a nice ultra-pure occ copper transformer inside as Iris or Hermes. Also, I'm not fan of the LCD displays on such devices..

But maybe I'm just biased. Will check them deeper. Thanks.
It sounds to me like you're going to have to make some compromises to truly get what you want.

I have the Iris with my Pontus II 12th-1, but my system is black to include my Pontus so not a color scheme conflict there. I can't even remember the last time I owned a silver system. But that's me.

BTW, I've never bought anything based on measurements (what I affectionately call plots and charts). In fact, I don't even look at them.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 17
It sounds to me like you're going to have to make some compromises to truly get what you want.
The easiest compromise would be just to get Gaia :D, but it's also mostly hitting the cost aspect..

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Well, I just don't get why it is only made in black. I started with my components a long time ago and so it happens all is silver.. But I like the silver color, from my experience it better withstands potential scratches :), or at least they are less visible. Pontus II in silver is amazing..

Anyway, I was just hoping there are more options to choose from, but maybe not so much in the end.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 17
Well, I just don't get why it is only made in black. I started with my components a long time ago and so it happens all is silver.. But I like the silver color, from my experience it better withstands potential scratches :), or at least they are less visible. Pontus II in silver is amazing..

Anyway, I was just hoping there are more options to choose from, but maybe not so much in the end.
There are options, it's just a matter of finding what you want and being willing to pay for it (and not just in a monetary way).

I remember watching an Alvin Chee (Vinshine Audio) video announcing the new Ares II DAC build, and one of the changes he noted, is the item would now come in Silver as there were many requests for a silver edition where the Ares was always only available in black.

Point, some love black, some love silver.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 17
I remember watching an Alvin Chee (Vinshine Audio) video announcing the new Ares II DAC build
I asked Alvin about Silver Iris/Hermes plans, but he confirmed me there are no such plans currently. Maybe that will change soon, which will be only welcome.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 17
I asked Alvin about Silver Iris/Hermes plans, but he confirmed me there are no such plans currently. Maybe that will change soon, which will be only welcome.
Yeah, but I think if enough people ask, it might happen. I use the Ares 12th-1 as an example. It only came in black until...

I almost bought one (would have been black) but got the Pontus II instead (black).

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 17
How about the new Audio-GD DI24? Don’t know if it matches up with Denafrips gear, but it’s got configurable settings like the Gustard.

IMG_0471.jpeg

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #15 of 17
Yes, DI24 has been on my radar last days, I'm trying to get some information about it. As of now, it seems to me a bit less user-friendly (those discussions about 50 Ohm cables or others, many versions of firmware that change the sound signature, and quite a lot of fiddling around in general).
Also if that display wouldn't be there it would be better :).

But in general, it's a contender. Together with the HE version (still need to find out the exact differences).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back