dc power jack in aluminum case
Jan 18, 2006 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cazoo

100+ Head-Fier
Does someone have a part number for a dc power jack that is insulated so it can be used with an aluminum case?

Better yet, does Radio Shack carry these?

This is the last piece for my new amp. Actually my new pimeta is all done and when i cased it up i realized this very silly mistake.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 10
Ratshack AFAIK does not carry any insulated DC jacks. If you check out tangent's site, he has the part numbers for some 2.5mm insulated DC jacks from Mouser.

I've run out of insulated DC Jacks in the middle of projects and tried to find them at Fry's or Radio Shack with no luck.

The only easy work around I can think of is maybe to cut a square out of the enclosure and mount the DC jack to some plexiglas or acrylic and then bolt that into the cutout. I've seen people use that method to mount binding posts for amps.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Digikey also carries a couple that are isolated. One is locking and one is not locking. Plastic housing with a rear retaining nut.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Mouser #163-1100 is a closed circuit, isolated jack that takes locking or non-locking plugs. I used it in my Steps/Millet and plan to use it with some other projects that need the isolation. I think the number recently changed to 163-1100-E but it appears to be the same part.

I saw a photo posted here or in a similar site, where the poster put a little heat shrink on a metal barrelled jack to isolate it from the chassis. You would also need some fiber or nylon washers, I guess.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 10
thanks neil,

i think you are right, that the Mouser part is closed circuit though. i ordered it anyway but i still got to figure out if i can use a closed circuit jack with just my wallwart.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Cazoo - I used that isolated closed circuit jack in my Steps and Millet even though I didn't really need those features since the Millet doesn't have a virtual ground and, of course, no battery. It is a nice looking jack against a black panel and it seems to be a decent quality jack. The only problem with that jack is that it requires a 0.5" hole- it is a big jack compared to the smaller metal barrel non-isolated jacks. That was not a problem in my Hammond case but it could be a problem in a tiny portable case like a Serpac H65.

If you do not need the closed circuit feature, just leave that pin alone. Use your DMM to make sure you use the lug that is tied directly to the barrel. It is a nice all around Jack of All Trades (pun intended). I like the locking feature and I especially like the fact that it works with non-locking plugs so it is compatible with any 2.5mm plug I happen to have around.

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 10
jack: mouser.com502-712A
plug: mouser.com502-760

the jack can be wired to be isolated or not. there's a third pin on the back that will ground it to the chassis if connected to the ground pin.

there's a plug version that screw-locks as well - just search their catalog page where these parts are shown.

Peter

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pburke
jack: mouser.com502-712A
plug: mouser.com502-760

the jack can be wired to be isolated or not. there's a third pin on the back that will ground it to the chassis if connected to the ground pin.

there's a plug version that screw-locks as well - just search their catalog page where these parts are shown.

Peter

pburke- Are you confusing isolation and closed circuit switching? That jack is closed circuit and the jack is apparently not isolated. The datasheet lists a couple of washers that can be used to isolate the jack. Or am I missing something from a quick read of the datasheet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back