DC-Area Head-Fi Meet Impressions - November 7, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #16 of 232
I think the element has to be a different configuration for the odac because its able to take more than just usb input, which means it likely isn't bus powered.

Ah. It appears the RCA jacks can be configured to be both output from the DAC and input to the amp. That can only be a good thing if it's not bus powered.

I know the DAC essentially performs like an ODAC rev B as it has the same chips. Whether a rev B actually sounds better than the original despite measuring better who knows as they use different brands of chips (Sabre vs TI) and both measure well.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 232
I have not tried injecting the Wyrd into the loop. But here's another question - can you send iPhone output directly to the ODAC? This is a feature of The Element, which I suspect the ODAC (reliant on USB power) will not allow.

Statement withdrawn. I read that it worked, but it is not working for my iPhone. It only works through the Wyrd from my iPhone.

And I'll just keep adding to my post until someone else posts. I'm hearing the same improvement through the Wyrd on The Element that I heard through the Wyrd on the Meridian Explorer2. Both DACs appear to be quite dependent on the USB power source. At least my ears tell me that it is powered from USB. I could be wrong, but it is a significant improvement through Wyrd!

And now I need to start at square one with my impression of The Element! Argh!

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 232
  That could be poor isolation from the USB.  Could you try the toslink input on the Element and see if you get similar results?

Could be, but unfortunately it's USB, analog, or go home:

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 232
Well, thanks a lot guys. I just placed an order for the Liquid Carbon. Couldn't stop thinking about it all day. Now we play the waiting game...

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 232
About two weeks before the meet, I started noticing occasion bursts of static/distortion in my system--particularly on start up. For some (not particularly good) reason I thought my cheap crap usb hub was going south. I ordered the WYRD, thinking it might fix the problem, and sure enough, the problem seemed to disappear. After getting home from the meet and setting up my system again, the problem was even worse.  I could tell the issue was only in my right channel. Bad driver in the LCD? Bad channel in the Rag or the analog stage of the Yggy? None of the above--just a short in my LCD cable. Derp! 

As near as I can tell, the WYRD is now serving in my system as an attractive silver box with lights.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #23 of 232
  As near as I can tell, the WYRD is now serving in my system as an attractive silver box with lights.

rolleyes.gif

The one feature that does distinguish it from your run-of-the-mill hub is the lights indicate the connection is made. Countless times I've had issues with software or my DAC was not listening on the right digital input. The Wyrd always let me know. Just yesterday, I could tell the person's phone had not established a connection by the Wyrd indicator lights.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #24 of 232

rolleyes.gif

The one feature that does distinguish it from your run-of-the-mill hub is the lights indicate the connection is made. Countless times I've had issues with software or my DAC was not listening on the right digital input. The Wyrd always let me know. Just yesterday, I could tell the person's phone had not established a connection by the Wyrd indicator lights.

Ok, good point. I'm also on the hunt for really crappy usb sources to clean up.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #25 of 232
Hey now @Barry S!
You guys are having way too much fun, on my behalf! I just noticed the picture 
eek.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 232
Back to serious topics...

I asked the question in the other The Element thread, but went ahead with the experiment - pretty conclusive proof the DAC in The Element is powered by USB. I use playback software called Audirvana+. When the software is disconnected from the DAC, it stops playing. In fact, it has a few indicators, such as recalling the volume of the DAC when last used, and telling me the input bit depth and sample rate (of the audio file) and the same for the output. Such as when I playback 24-bit/192kHz, the DAC in The Element can only handle up to 24-bit/96kHz.

When I turned off The Element, but left my Wyrd running between laptop and the DAC, the software continued to play. The internal DAC is definitely powered by USB.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #29 of 232
LOL @ the avatars.

It was good seeing everyone yesterday and checking out some new gear.

On the plus side, I'm still really happy with how good the HD650 sounds. At home I'm perfectly content with them, and then I go to a meet and hear headphones that are just plain better, but those are all significantly more expensive.

The Hifiman HE-560 sounded just a bit better to me than the HE-500, which sounded significantly better than the HE-400. The HE-560 would be a slight upgrade from the HD650... it's more neutral throughout the spectrum lacking that upper midbass hump and the associated warmth, it sounds open and detailed, no major flaws that I recall. Looks like they're $600-ish used which is more than twice what I paid for the HD650 brand new. Although they weren't present at this meet, my recollection from hearing them at CAF is that the HE-6 would totally crush the HE-560 and the HE-6 is "only" a couple-few hundred more used. Given the difference in sound I think I would skip the 560 and go straight for the HE-6 if I was to upgrade soon. I don't have a headphone-specific amp powerful enough to drive them but I do have a spare speaker amp or integrated that could be pressed into service.

The HE-1000 was pretty incredible. As open-sounding as I've ever heard an open headphone sound. Ha. The Liquid Carbon might have been warming them up a little, but they articulated sax and string bass textures wonderfully, very engaging. I didn't listen to any hard hitting bass-heavy music on them, but didn't hear any obvious flaws on a quick audition with some jazz and bluegrass. Way outside my budget, but great to experience them anyway.

Just for ****s & giggles it would be fun to hear a properly amped HE-6 next to a HE-1000. And for one reason or another I still haven't gotten much time with the various Audeze cans. Guess I'll have to put off upgrading until I can reach a more informed conclusion. In other words, procrastinate on spending more money while remaining quite content with the HD650/Crack combo.

I thought the Chord Mojo was pretty good. For "not an amp" it sure did a decent job of driving my HD650. Much more authoritative than other similarly sized USB DAC/amps I've heard. Not sure if I'd drop $600 on it (not really needing that level of portability I'd be more likely to get an iFi iDSD Micro for $500) but it sounded fine to me.

Liquid Carbon was really good. Tonal balance might have been slightly on the warm side but it had pretty good extension top to bottom, good resolution, decent power with balanced and single ended ins and outs, probably tough to get much better sound for the price. I'm doing some preliminary investigating of SS amps in case I decide to pull the trigger on some other cans with lower impedance than the Crack can drive, and the Liquid Carbon is on the radar.

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #30 of 232
I finally got the O2 to stop clipping the ODAC when bypassing the Windows mixer (DirectSound). Nothing plugged into the outlet but a surge protector with my laptop fully charged and the O2 wart. Mute everything but the ODAC and foobar in Windows mixer. Output from foobar in WASAPI "push" mode. Everything else but DirectSound clips. This worked at the meet from a probably overdrawn outlet, this works at home with nothing plugged in in the room except for the surge protector. This is getting ridiculous so I will upgrade within a month.

Quote:
  Back to serious topics...

I asked the question in the other The Element thread, but went ahead with the experiment - pretty conclusive proof the DAC in The Element is powered by USB. I use playback software called Audirvana+. When the software is disconnected from the DAC, it stops playing. In fact, it has a few indicators, such as recalling the volume of the DAC when last used, and telling me the input bit depth and sample rate (of the audio file) and the same for the output. Such as when I playback 24-bit/192kHz, the DAC in The Element can only handle up to 24-bit/96kHz.

When I turned off The Element, but left my Wyrd running between laptop and the DAC, the software continued to play. The internal DAC is definitely powered by USB.

I will have to Schiit to upgrade then. These USB powered DACs are too wonky to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back