DBA-02 versus Audeo PFE
Jan 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

digitalexodus

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm wondering if the Audeo PFE is comparable to the DBA-02, an IEM that is incredibly hard to find now. The only site where it is available seems to be Treoo.com, however, with the additional shipping to the US, the DBA-02 comes in at nearly $235 USD. Do you feel the DBA -02 is worth the additional $75 over suggested retail, or that there is better in that larger price range.

In ljokerl's Multi-IEM review, he compares the DBA-02 to the Ath-CK10, another hard to find IEM. But it is that soundstage, instrumental separation, and clarity that I'm looking for. Again, does the Audeo PFE represent a good alternative, or is the DBA-02 worth the additional price?

I emailed GD Audiobase and received this email on Jan 3:

"Hi! New batch with DBA-02 will be there approx through1/5 week, or so. Thanks!"

I assume he means one to five weeks. Bugdenaudio changed from "Out of Stock" to "Buy Now" on the DBA-02, but it's on back order. So to recap: Wait for DBA-02 (which is really hard!), pay more ($75), get something comparable (?), or stick to my second (and cheaper) choice of the Audeo PFE. This is my first taste of a serious IEM, which I would like to have outstanding clarity. Thanks for your help Head-Fi!

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Grab a Monster Turbine Pro Copper instead.  =p
TF10?
RE252?
Or you can just grab the PFE if you can't decide, I guess. lol

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Grab a Monster Turbine Pro Copper instead.  =p
TF10?
RE252?
Or you can just grab the PFE if you can't decide, I guess. lol

The PFE is $60 cheaper then the 252 and less than half the price of the TF10 and TPC really not even close to an apples to apples comparison. Also looking at jokers thread I see the PFE reviews very close to the TF10's and TPC's in ranking. So at the price point the PFE is a much better value.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 8
If it is $235, then you are losing a big chuck of the benefit of DBA-02, its bang-for-the-buck factor. I would rather take the PFE for $160. As for comparison, DBA-02 is more aggressive and dynamic, while PFE is more resolving and analytical. They have pros and cons of their own and I don't consider one to be vastly better than the other.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Is Treoo's price for DBA-02's in US or Singapore dollars? That's been a source of confusion in the past.

After they've burned in, my Sunrise Xcapes (also from Bugden Audio) sound very similar to DBA-02's. 75-100 hours seemed to make the difference for the Xcapes; no burn-in required for the DBA-02's.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 8
gd audiobase jast started having them in stock last week for a little bit then out for a coule days then last night back and i just ordered them for 170 usd shipped

Quote:
Is Treoo's price for DBA-02's in US or Singapore dollars? That's been a source of confusion in the past.

After they've burned in, my Sunrise Xcapes (also from Bugden Audio) sound very similar to DBA-02's. 75-100 hours seemed to make the difference for the Xcapes; no burn-in required for the DBA-02's.

they are singapore dollars comes out to around 195 usd without shipping  ... but gd audiobase has them for 160+ 10 shipping ..... also i noticed that your profile pic has the DBAs but with a different cable so my q is - r u able to change the cable on these IEMs .. they have a beautiful cable but just in case... thanks

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
.... also i noticed that your profile pic has the DBAs but with a different cable so my q is - r u able to change the cable on these IEMs .. they have a beautiful cable but just in case... thanks

That's a MEElec cable with mic/remote that was done for me. The mic/remote is a nice feature, but the original DBA cable and connector are slightly better IMHO than the nice MEElec - more flexible, probably a bit stronger, and not prone to tangles. A straight connector is probably more reliable than an angled connector. I certainly would not suggest changing the cable just for aesthetics.

Buried somewhere in the huge DBA review thread is a photo showing the DBA's disassembled (clear cover removed) from someone who did that himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back