David "Fathead" Newman Has Died.
Jan 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
One of the greatest R&B saxmen of all time has died. The New York Times reports that David "Fathead" Newman died this past Tuesday, at the age of 75. Best known for his yoeman service in Ray Charles's greatest recording and performing units, Newman was an extravagantly talented, versatile, and deeply soulfull musician, who recorded both as a sideman and leader in the jazz, R&B and pop idioms. Apart from his brilliant, precise playing in the Ray Charles Orchestra, Newman recorded as a leader and sideman with a who's-who of R&B, jazz and pop musicians. May he rest in peace.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Very sad news indeed, I've enjoyed a lot Fathead's playing
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very sad news indeed, I've enjoyed a lot Fathead's playing
frown.gif

As so many of us have! I think being a sideman is a blessing and a curse. The best of them, like David Fathead Newman, have the opportunity to work with the best of the best. That's a blessing. But their work tends to get lost in the legacies of the artists they work with...even though they are integral to those legacies. Oh well. If he was granted the privelige of reflection on his deathbed, I'm sure he died with a smile on his face.

He knew what he accomplished.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 9
R.I.P. "Fathead".
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 9
It's sad when anyone dies, but particularly when it's someone you feel a connection to, even on a very limited scale such as through their music.

On a personal note, when two of my childhood "idols" (Grover Washington and Michael Brecker) passed, I was very saddened, indeed. I wished I had taken the time to tell them (write/email) how much I enjoyed their music over the years.

A couple of my favorites are getting up there in age and now, while I'm thinking about it, is probably a good time to express my appreciation of their musical contribution to the world.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 9
R.I.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back