Dave Brubeck-Take Five
Sep 16, 2003 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
I'm looking for this song, Dave Brucbeck-Take Five, and I'm wondering which album should I get?

Dave Brubeck - Greatest Hits
or
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
or
Dave Brubeck - Take Five

I heard this version of song at Bose Outlet store and was very impressed by this piece. So which version did I heard in Bose store? Thanks for point out.

PUrk

Sep 16, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Hi,
I'm looking for this song, Dave Brucbeck-Take Five, and I'm wondering which album should I get?

Dave Brubeck - Greatest Hits
or
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
or
Dave Brubeck - Take Five

I heard this version of song at Bose Outlet store and was very impressed by this piece. So which version did I heard in Bose store? Thanks for point out.

PUrk

Time Out it is. I just got it last month and it's a great album.

Sep 16, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Time Out it is. I just got it last month and it's a great album.

Yes it is, I love putting that one on, it just has such a nice feel to it!

Sep 16, 2003 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Time Out is one of the best selling jazz albums of all time. Originally released in 1960, it continues to be popular today, having been released in both CD, audiophile CD, and SACD format.

Even if you knew nothing about jazz, you probably had this album by the original Dave Brubeck Quartet in your record collection. I have this one on reel to reel tape.

The earlier 50s Dave Brubeck Quartet recordings, Jazz Goes to College and Jazz at the College of the Pacific are both worth seeking out.

Sep 16, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks guys.
I'll getting the Time Out shortly. How about the recording quality on the time out, is it excellent?

Sep 17, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 10
The quality of the recording gets very high marks for technique, arrangement and microphone placement. The original sessions were of course recorded using analog equipment.

The recording studio standard at the time was 3 or 4-track, 1 inch wide reel to reel tape, probably running at 30 inches per second. Noise reduction did not exist, but given the residual background noise of all of the tube microphones, preamplifiers, and mixers was probably as high as than the noise level on the tape for this format, it was not the limiting factor.

The original LP release is highly sought after, as later re-releases of the LP are of varying quality. The 4-track factory reel to reel tape of Time Out sounds very good too.

There have been a number of CD transfers of this classic. I purchased mine back when CDs were first being released and it has always sounded good to me.

I know there was a later DCC gold disk release and most recently an SACD release. I'm sure someone here can comment on the sound quality of some of these other digital releases.

Sep 17, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Yep, the name of the original album that contains "Take Five" is called Time Out. I own six copies of that album (acquired in the listed order): Columbia/Legacy 20-bit remastered CD, Columbia (pressed by Scorpio Music) 180-gram vinyl reissue, Classic Records 180-gram Quiex SV vinyl reissue (since supplanted in the Classic Records catalogue by the 200-gram Quiex SV-P edition), 1961 pressing 6-eye non-deep-groove mono vinyl edition, original 6-eye deep-groove stereo vinyl and slightly earlier 6-eye deep-groove mono vinyl -- and I used to own a Columbia Jazz Masterpieces CD copy (which I gave to my brother). The Columbia Jazz Masterpieces edition sounded the worst by far of all those editions (thin and murky both at once), followed by the Scorpio-pressed vinyl reissue (the lower midrange is somewhat bloated -- the kettle drums are more up-front on this Scorpio copy than on most of the other versions of this album). The difference in sound quality between the others is much harder to determine: They sound different, not better or worse, than one another -- a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer the 6-eye original pressings to the later reissues.

Happy listening,
Eagle_Driver

Sep 17, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 10
Er, I take it you like this album, Eagle_driver
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the Classic records version a good one. I bet that's the easiest "quality" vinyl version to find these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back