Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
Jul 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #1,082 of 1,160
  The OMX looks really nice. Which kind of material is used for the housing and how is the quality? Never heard of an earbud with two drivers, sounds interesting.

I'm not sure which material is used. It's some sort of metal. Perhaps some sort of aluminium alloy? Regarding the dual drivers, I don't notice any big difference from other earbuds. I think that the OMX(2) are good for the price and they are slightly smaller than the Dasetn, Tingo and Baldoor earbuds.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #1,083 of 1,160
I wanted to make a note of the Tingo Croons 38S and Dasetn 760 after further comparison. The Tingo Croons definitely when EQd can hit deeper and more pronounced bass. It's as if they can hit lower frequencies and really bring out a respectable bass when heavily EQd. On the other hand, I found that the 760 pops and distorts much easier when EQing bass, and its bass is not of better texture and tightness than the Tingo Croons. It is apparent that the Tingo Croons have a more powerful driver in terms of low end at least. This is really strange to me though as the 760s have an overall more balanced sound and just sound better and superior in almost every sense when not EQd. I have found that I barely ever reach for my Tingo Croons when wanting an earbud instead of a full size headphone. The 760 (with no EQ) has become my default bud; however, it's worth noting that if you are someone who wants to EQ bass into your gear, the Tingo Croons probably can churn out more and deeper bass before distorting/popping. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #1,084 of 1,160

I'm not sure which material is used. It's some sort of metal. Perhaps some sort of aluminium alloy? Regarding the dual drivers, I don't notice any big difference from other earbuds. I think that the OMX(2) are good for the price and they are slightly smaller than the Dasetn, Tingo and Baldoor earbuds.

Ok, but it does it feel cheap? Are there any production flaws? Looking forward for some impressions especially from BenF 
biggrin.gif

I've ordered the Tingo TG-38S, but they some how got lost. So frustrating to wait for something that doesn't even will arrive 
mad.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,086 of 1,160
  Anyone try the Astrotec Lyria? It looks really good, but too expensive for my tastes. Can be found here:

http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/earbuds

Maybe here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711872/astrotec-lyra-open-back-earbud#post_10398382

It's price looks more impressive than it's sound quality :frowning2:

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,087 of 1,160
KZ-OMX(2) review:

Build Quality:

Above average, no issues here.

Fit:
They are about the same size as TG-38S and smaller than the EarBell, so no problem pointing them directly into the ear canal

Sound Quality:
Out of the box it sounds a bit muddy and thin, lacking extension on both ends.
Vocals sound too far away, no intimacy.
Everything sounds too airy.

There is an easy mod to improve SQ - block the back opening. I may permanently block it with Sugru.
This brings more body across the spectrum and removes some of the extra airiness, but bass and treble are still lacking extension - no way to improve them without EQ.

Conclusion:
Being a dual driver, I was hoping KZ-OMX would be as good as TG-JL1.
Unfortunately, KZ made a big mistake - they have placed the second driver directly in the back opening - a design choice Tingo didn't make with either TG-JL1 or TC100. It's a good earbud for ~10$ that it costs on Aliexpress, but there are much better options for not much more money.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/The-original-tuning-unit-Earplugs-headphones-The-sound-quality-Female-poison-device/615477_1747567987.html

My current earbud ratings are
TG-38S = TG-JL1 > E100 > BE5 > PK1 > M760 > M1 >= ANV3SE > PK2 = ANV3 > M2C >= KZ-OMX2 > M3 > ES10 > AP8
Or in terms everyone can understand
16$ = 31$ > 20$ > 95$ > 160$ > 26$ > 15$ >= 100$ > 80$ = 70$ > 50$  >= 11$ > 13$ > 6$ > 12$

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,088 of 1,160
  KZ-OMX(2) review:

Build Quality:

Above average, no issues here.

Fit:
They are about the same size as TG-38S and smaller than the EarBell, so no problem pointing them directly into the ear canal

Sound Quality:
Out of the box it sounds a bit muddy and thin, lacking extension on both ends.
Vocals sound too far away, no intimacy.
Everything sounds too airy.

There is an easy mod to improve SQ - block the back opening. I may permanently block it with Sugru.
This brings more body across the spectrum and removes some of the extra airiness, but bass and treble are still lacking extension - no way to improve them without EQ.

Conclusion:
Being a dual driver, I was hoping KZ-OMX would be as good as TG-JL1.
Unfortunately, KZ made a big mistake - they have placed the second driver directly in the back opening - a design choice Tingo didn't make with either TG-JL1 or TC100. It's a good earbud for ~10$ that it costs on Aliexpress, but there are much better options for not much more money.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/The-original-tuning-unit-Earplugs-headphones-The-sound-quality-Female-poison-device/615477_1747567987.html

My current earbud ratings are
TG-38S = TG-JL1 > E100 > BE5 > PK1 > M760 > M1 >= ANV3SE > PK2 = ANV3 > M2C >= KZ-OMX2 > M3 > ES10 > AP8
Or in terms everyone can understand
16$ = 31$ > 20$ > 95$ > 160$ > 26$ > 15$ >= 100$ > 80$ = 70$ > 50$  >= 11$ > 13$ > 6$ > 12$

+1 Nice review :) Such a shame that they aren't as good as they look like =/ A good sounding dual driver earbud for $11 incl. shipping. Too good to be true! 
biggrin.gif
 Hopefully they make a new Rev. with flaws updated.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,089 of 1,160
  Maybe here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711872/astrotec-lyra-open-back-earbud#post_10398382

It's price looks more impressive than it's sound quality :frowning2:

Haha it seems that in the world of earbuds, sound quality is inversely proportional to sound quality. Also as evidenced by BenF's review of the KZ buds above. I guess the closer to blox and dasetn you look, the better your sound quality lol. On another note, I've been using my 760s a lot recently and noticing just how annoying the cable quality is. But the sound is just too good..

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,090 of 1,160
  Haha it seems that in the world of earbuds, sound quality is inversely proportional to sound quality. Also as evidenced by BenF's review of the KZ buds above. I guess the closer to blox and dasetn you look, the better your sound quality lol. On another note, I've been using my 760s a lot recently and noticing just how annoying the cable quality is. But the sound is just too good..

I'm guessing you meant "sound quality is inversely proportional to the price".

Anyone who wants the best cable ever used on earbuds, should look into the EarBell.
The sound signature isn't too different from M760, you will love it.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,091 of 1,160
  I wanted to make a note of the Tingo Croons 38S and Dasetn 760 after further comparison. The Tingo Croons definitely when EQd can hit deeper and more pronounced bass. It's as if they can hit lower frequencies and really bring out a respectable bass when heavily EQd. On the other hand, I found that the 760 pops and distorts much easier when EQing bass, and its bass is not of better texture and tightness than the Tingo Croons. It is apparent that the Tingo Croons have a more powerful driver in terms of low end at least. This is really strange to me though as the 760s have an overall more balanced sound and just sound better and superior in almost every sense when not EQd. I have found that I barely ever reach for my Tingo Croons when wanting an earbud instead of a full size headphone. The 760 (with no EQ) has become my default bud; however, it's worth noting that if you are someone who wants to EQ bass into your gear, the Tingo Croons probably can churn out more and deeper bass before distorting/popping. 

TG-38S sounds great with E12's bass boost.
It's just what the doctor ordered.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #1,092 of 1,160
  +1 Nice review :) Such a shame that they aren't as good as they look like =/ A good sounding dual driver earbud for $11 incl. shipping. Too good to be true! 
biggrin.gif
 Hopefully they make a new Rev. with flaws updated.

You should try them out if you can find them for around $11. People have different preferences and different people might perceive earbuds differently.

The OMX2 are not top contenders, but I would put them slightly below Dasetn M1. I'd put Earbell above both the OMX2 and M1 and Blox TM7 above the other three. Still I prefer the OMX2 to my Tingo TG38s and TC100.
Since they are a bit dark (somwhat recessed highs) they benefit from a bit of treble boost. Then they open up quite nicely. I do not perceive them as thin (Tingo TC100 is more thin sounding to my ears).

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,093 of 1,160
  I'm guessing you meant "sound quality is inversely proportional to the price".

Anyone who wants the best cable ever used on earbuds, should look into the EarBell.
The sound signature isn't too different from M760, you will love it.

It should have said sound quality is inversely proportional to build quality. The Tingo Croons may be an exception to that since they have a great cable, but everything else that seems cheapy and plastic (think dasetn, blox, yuin etc) seems to be king and there isn't many beautifully crafted buds that easily beat the plastic kings. 

And yes, I agree that bass boost really really helps the tingo croons. It's a wonder why they didn't just tune the buds to be really bassy from baseline. That way they'd be the crowd favorite by a long shot. But, I still stand by preferring the 760 for basically any type of genre if I were listening without an EQ.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,094 of 1,160

You should try them out if you can find them for around $11. People have different preferences and different people might perceive earbuds differently.

The OMX2 are not top contenders, but I would put them slightly below Dasetn M1. I'd put Earbell above both the OMX2 and M1 and Blox TM7 above the other three. Still I prefer the OMX2 to my Tingo TG38s and TC100.
Since they are a bit dark (somwhat recessed highs) they benefit from a bit of treble boost. Then they open up quite nicely. I do not perceive them as thin (Tingo TC100 is more thin sounding to my ears).

Danneq, did I read that correctly? You put the earbell above the Dasetn M1? I know how much you like the M1 as your go to bud, but have you finally found a better sounding cheap bud than the M1 in the earbell? 

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,095 of 1,160

The main problem is that I have some earbuds and IEMs still coming :) And the other is that if you buy these chinese earbuds and IEMs it isn't as easy as in the states, uk or even australia to get rid of them here if you don't like them. I tend to sell what I don't like and buy other instead. And I don't want to give my friends and family something I don't even like myself :wink:
Probably will follow your suggestion and buy them in the future if I don't like the TG-38S :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back