Darkvoice just released 332
Apr 6, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #331 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an ATh-W5000 which I think is about 62 ohms and the hd595 which is 50 ohms. So i suspect there would be some benefit in terms of better bass performance. But the question remains which is the best brand of electrolytic cap? Echo1, can you be more specific on brands/types/values that you used? I'd rather not experiment too much on this front because my wallet is getting thin from all the tubes I have bought so far.

I also have a Paradisea and it does make a very coherent pairing with the DV. I have been rolling tubes in both it and the DV. This has paid off significantly on all fronts. The two most signicant tubes thus far is a pair of 1958 Sylvania 5654/6AK5W/6096 with gold labeling followed by a pair of WE 403A for the DV. For the paradisea, apart from a WE 396A, I also use a Raytheon 5670 (awesome bass) and I have a Sylvania Gold Label military qualified JHS-5670 on order, which I suspect will be as good in the Paradisea as the gold 6096 in the DV. When both components were fitted with Western Electric tubes I found that there was an added level of synergy and coherence achieved. If this is the same for the Sylvania gold labels then my tube rolling will really have paid off.

Hew I just realized that you have the 332. I was referring to the 336. Different amp.I am on the wrong thread.But the principle would be the same.It has to have output caps if not a output transformer.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #332 of 1,892
Thanks Echo1. One further question - if I decide to do this, do I get the loudspeaker version or electronic version of the dynacaps? From the description it would seem to be the electronics but I am not sure.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #333 of 1,892
Quote:

Thanks Echo1. One further question - if I decide to do this, do I get the loudspeaker version or electronic version of the dynacaps? From the description it would seem to be the electronics but I am not sure.

I used the electronic version

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #334 of 1,892
Also check the voltage coming out of the pin on the tube that goes to the caps to make shure the voltage is rated high enough on the caps.
Be carefull,there are high lethel voltages in the case.Also make shure the caps are drained before you handle them.They can shock also.
You may allready know this,but I have to issue a warning.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #335 of 1,892
Caps, like everything hifi, are totally subjective. Some like Blackgates, others don't. Personally, I've found that PANASONIC FC and FM electrolytics are excellent: very fluid sound. WIMA polyprops and polyesters are quite good, but lately I've used Russian mil-spec Paper in Oil caps to bypass electrolytics. They are huge, but sound great.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #336 of 1,892
Quote:

I have an ATh-W5000 which I think is about 62 ohms ...

ath-w5000 is 40 ohms.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #338 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caps, like everything hifi, are totally subjective. Some like Blackgates, others don't. Personally, I've found that PANASONIC FC and FM electrolytics are excellent: very fluid sound. WIMA polyprops and polyesters are quite good, but lately I've used Russian mil-spec Paper in Oil caps to bypass electrolytics. They are huge, but sound great.

I got these Russian paper-in-oil to try instead of the film dynamicaps but never installed them. Do you think they would be better than film?

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #339 of 1,892
Echo1, I've used these PIO caps in many mods, to X-CAN V3 etc, and they sound fabulous. Very analogue like sound - no sign of harshness. Superb caps.

Did you get them off E-Bay? On some audio websites, they sell for big money.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #342 of 1,892
Rod, your amp is scary, it looks like it would chew my hand off if I stuck it in to try to do something, without even skipping a beat playing the music.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #343 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rod, your amp is scary, it looks like it would chew my hand off if I stuck it in to try to do something, without even skipping a beat playing the music.
tongue.gif

Yes its a Fitz trap.I tried to make it so confusing even you couldn't figure what the heck I did.
And it actually worked when I first plugged it in!!!!Imagine that.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #345 of 1,892
Here's a pic of the Russian PIO caps I've used in recent mods (2.2uF/400v). Bought them on E-Bay for a very good price, considering the inflated prices they sell for on some sites. Sound Great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back