Darkvoice just released 332
Mar 14, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #271 of 1,892
Hi Mike,

for the life of me I thought I sent you a reply, unless I pressed the wrong button.

Anyway, I just sent you a pm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer116 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, budgetphile I really want to purchase a pair of your silver ICs to try out. I don't know if you received my pm about purchasing a pair from you. Godkin what was the difference you noticed with the IC, and how much did it cost?

Thanks,

Mike

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #272 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm, got my cv4010s and some EF95s along with them =]
Listening to 4010s right now, and honestly...I am not picking up anything new >.< Although give credit here, hd595 is by far not the most revealing headphone. I'll do some tests when I get w5k.

Anyone have a constant desire to describe bass as rubbery with the Darkvoice?

Also, HIFI, how's the DV332 acquisition going =] ?

I have both the hd595 and the W5000. The Hd595 is good but the w5000 is far better. For me it was like night and day, literally. When you hear the ATH for the first time you will immediately know what others complain about when they say Senns are veiled. But, bear in mind that the w5000 will need at least a 150 hours of break in before it begins sounding right. Also, it is so revealing that I spent quite some time changing between cabling, power cords/conditioners, tubes for the DV332, and source components before getting the kind of coherence and musicality I crave.

Sad to hear you had to sell the DV before you got the AT. IMO, they make a good pairing.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #273 of 1,892
Quote:

Mmm, got my cv4010s and some EF95s along with them =]
Listening to 4010s right now, and honestly...I am not picking up anything new >.< Although give credit here, hd595 is by far not the most revealing headphone. I'll do some tests when I get w5k.

Anyone have a constant desire to describe bass as rubbery with the Darkvoice?

Also, HIFI, how's the DV332 acquisition going =] ?

BTW, the rubbery bass with HD595 and DV dissappears with the W5000. Much, much tighter. Not the final word on slam and depth, though.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #274 of 1,892
Quote:

Might be probably because the 332 does not have crispiest high end which is where the silver is helping out.

If anyone is interested in tubes for this amp, I have the following:
Large:
Svetlana 6S19P-V x4
Small:
JAN 5654 x2
Mullard EF95 x2

I actually sold my amp in the end due to 2 reasons - too much current draw and I constantly keep going to my Porta Corda just because I prefer its resolution. (I decided to purchase a higher end SS amp as a replacement). These are the left-over after-market tubes I have that actually have not seen any use except for JANs which have about 20 hours on them.

How much current does the 332 actually draw? I'm leaning toward it, but if it sucks as much power as a couple of 100 watt lightbulbs, I might reconsider.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #275 of 1,892
So i'm here still burning in my k701- DV332 combo. I'm running HGA silver lace cables and find them quite detailed also. One thing that i have not tried is silver plated copper. May have to try to make some. I am still running the stock power cord. Has anyone built or bought themselves a new cord and has it made a difference? I'm thinking about building one with Belden 83803 cabling......

I'm hoping that my cv4010's come this week. I'm curious if i can hear any difference now.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #276 of 1,892
I am not sure but it put our electricity bill about 20 bucks over what was expected (approximately, our electricity usage is quite inconsistent).

Instead of the Darkvoice 332 I grabbed a Larocco PRII, should be an interesting combo in itself :wink: My interconnect between DAC and Amp is Cardas - nothing to complain about, and I have a power conditioner for all practical purposes, so I think my setup should be set. It is also rather mobile so I can take it with me if I am going somewhere far for some time, which happens, I am still a college student and I am not even sure where I intend on living after I graduate. (certainly not here).

The hd595 veil I figured out when I got my Stax SR-80 - these things kick ass for detail and air xD They just have no bass >.< I really liked what it did well though, so if w5k is as it is described, I am in for a treat.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #277 of 1,892
did anybody feel that the bass is a little light on the 332? I feel that the mid and up are all really good but bass lacks some punch to it.

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #278 of 1,892
Bimmer, Budgetphile's ICs make a big difference. Years ago, when I had a huge hifi system, I had silver ICs and speaker cables everywhere, and it sounded great. Budgetphile's cables do the same thing, but with none of the potential drawbacks. Separation of voices and instruments is better, as is the resolution of fine detail, something you'd expect from silver cables. The sound of the instruments themselves, I suppose you'd call it timbre, is also far more "real". Bass is maybe a tad lighter than the VAN DEN HULS, but as I don't much listen to heavy rock or hip-hop that's not a big problem. I've only had the ICs playing for about 30 hours so they're by no means run-in yet, and Budgetphile assures me they will get better.

I won't reveal here what I paid, other than to say that Budgetphile kindly made them for me at cost, and for cables of this quality they were ludicrously inexpensive.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #279 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer116 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did anybody feel that the bass is a little light on the 332? I feel that the mid and up are all really good but bass lacks some punch to it.

Kinda weird, it really has a full bass sound too, but it does not have the really low bass if your headphone does not come with a deep extension. I currently have a solid state amp with a bass-extension feature that is much better in the bass area than the dv332. dv332 was alot of bass with hd595 but Compared to this amp dv332 bass sounds like a mid-bass boost that does punch but not quite satisfy in my case.

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #280 of 1,892
Well reporting back from a good night of listen, you can call me a happy camper
rs1smile.gif
. The bass issue was actually something I messed up in the setting of foobar, the bass is actually quite ample in amount and has a real nice kick to it. After half a night of listening and I swapped the svets back in actually, to tone down the bass. The svets does a good job of toning the bass down and cleaning it I think.

Godkin, thanks for your very helpful pm reply about the tubes, I will be sure to look into them more. Anybody body else has a recommendation for the power tubes? they affect bass in some many ways I actually feel that they provide a more distinguishable difference than the signal ones.

Budgetphile, I got the pm I think posted right before you pmed me. Thanks for letting me know and I will be sure to try them out, although it may be a while, too busy enjoying the current setup (well, also need to let my wallet rest for a bit after my recent spree)

I am surprised that more people don't own this amp, it drove my 990 to such perfection it was ridiculous. The sound was much fuller and richer, the somewhat recessed mid has definitely being filled out and the highs tamed a bit. Great amp!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #281 of 1,892
Glad to hear you're enjoying the 332. It still amazes me 3 months on. With Budgetphile's ICs it sounds awesome.

The power rectifier tubes are pretty much limited to three brands: the Chinese 6S19; the SVETLANA 6S19Ps and P-Bs; and the Ulyanovsk 6S19P and P-Bs. Have you tried the Ulyanovsk versions, Bimmer? Personally, I think they're better than the Svets.

There's plenty of the smaller, signal tubes out there. Prices have gone up as demand has increased, but you can still get them for a good price. The EF95, M8100, CV4010 family of tubes are very good, as are the RCA 5654/6AK5Ws. Also try the Soviet 6J1P, but better are the military versions, the 6J1P-EV. I've got a pair of SYLVANIA 6AK5Ws GREENS on the way and I'll report back on how they sound. I quite like American tubes, the RCAs are one of my favourites: they're more forward, which is good especially when listening to vocal based music.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #282 of 1,892
I have my 332 a little over a week now. I have not swapped out the Chinese tubes. I am still waiting for the M8100's to arrive. The 6S19PV tubes from the esteemed Ulyanovsk factory have arrived. I've got eight. Godkin, if you would kindly post as to how to match these up for optimal sound, I would gladly share my bounty with the fellas. The tubes are new, from what I can tell. Quite well packed.

So far, the 332 is quite musical. It sounds better to my liking. Contrary to my handle, I have grown quite fond of music a bit warmer than neutral. Forgive my lack of descriptive adjectives. It's one awesome amp. If you are considering a tube amp and can afford it, buy it, live with it for a while, switch back to ss, and decide for yourself which you appreciate more, and go with it.

Godkin, many thanks for your invaluable info here in this thread. Now if those damn M8100's would get here already.
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #283 of 1,892
Great to hear you are enjoying it Bimmer xD
It is very possible I just did not have the cans to be driven best by it, but then my current lil device does not leave me disappointed =]

Although Bimmer, how does the DV332 compare to the Dynahi? I am sure a comparison thread is due in a week =]

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #284 of 1,892
ahhh, u caught me, I might try to to do a mini write up on the comparo but I am on finals right now and also a trip lined up right after my last quarter. Might be a while till when I can write one. Oh yea btw, I was the one who bought Malo's amp for those that didn't know.

Mike

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #285 of 1,892
Thanks, Etys Rule, for your kind comments, but it's a collective effort here, each 332 owner chipping in his little bit which hopefully builds up to a more comprehensive understanding of the DV amp.

You're right to wait before changing the stock tubes: gives you a good idea of how the amp sounds in its stock form, and so helps you evaluate any improvements the replacement valves bring.

The Ulyanovsk 6S19P-Vs are about as good as it gets, considering the pitiful ammount of equivalents theren are for the 6S19. These tubes, especially in their B-V incarnations, are highly engineered, and made to very strict, military specifications. Each valve, therefore, is pretty much the same as the next one, not that tube matching is that crucial in a headphone amp. Replacing them is straightforward: grip the stock 6S19s firmly, and rocking it slightly from side-to-side, pull it out. Then fit the Ulyanovsks - I haven't had a bad one yet.

The SYLVANIAs arrived this morning. Fitted them this evening, and there's an audible and persistent hum, even when the amp is not turned up. I'll let them burn in for a while, but I've a feeling this tube's not "compatable" with the 332. It's the first tube I've had "go bad" in this amp - the rest worked perfectly. Fitting cathode bypass caps is simply not an option - not at the minute anyway.

Etys Rule, I hope the M8100s arrive soon. Personally speaking, there're one of the best tubes you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back