Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
May 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #1,276 of 1,556
The Sylvania 6sn7 and RCA 6080 is what I'm listening to at the moment. Easy combo to get used to for cheap. Maybe 15 bucks for both of them?

May 5, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #1,277 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sylvania 6sn7 and RCA 6080 is what I'm listening to at the moment. Easy combo to get used to for cheap. Maybe 15 bucks for both of them?

For a 6080, I liked the Mullard best with the DV336i, although I never had the opportunity to hear the famed and pricey Benidix 6080.

May 7, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #1,278 of 1,556
was going to stay with the Sylvania JAN-CHS-6SN7GT + RCA 6080 combo, but cannot resist B.P.'s suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

my HYTRON doesn't say CBS. also it's a 6SN7 GT. what does the "FW" stand for?

May 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #1,279 of 1,556
CBS bought Hytron at one point, but certainly there were many years where Hytron made tubes before the acquisition by CBS that would be branded only Hytron. I believe the fw indicates where the tube was made. In any case, that is a very nice tube
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #1,281 of 1,556
new tube combo:

Svetlana 6H13C, freshly arrived from pataburd
biggrin.gif

Raytheon 6SN7 GTA 280 6-17

alright, how to decode the numbers with the Raytheon?
confused_face_2.gif
don't have the camera with me. it is rather short; black base with yellow text.

first impressioon: fuller voicing. like there's "more" on everything...

May 12, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #1,282 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think it's worth mentioning that a Tung-Sol tall-bottle 6SN7GTB (original USA made, not re-issue) and a Tung-Sol 5998 (rear) is a GREAT combination - that is what I use in mine.

Can I use the above combo for my 336SE? What kind of SQ can I have? I'm a tube noob here
icon10.gif

May 12, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #1,283 of 1,556
Can I join in on this thread? I have an Eddie Current HD-300 amp which uses the same power and driver tubes. I want to thank all the contributors over the past 86 pages because the information has been excellent!

I am currently using the HD 300 as a preamp into my Stax srm717 amp and find the combo very good to my ears. Subtle, but definitely there. I have gone from a Sylvania 6AS7G grey plate power tube (lush and balanced) to the TS 5998 and find it adds some needed dynamic punch to the bass of the Omega 2 that I have...and still maintains the great electrostatic mids and PRAT.
Am still rolling in a few 6SN7's to get a sound with more detail in the upper mids and treble...which tube to get a more bold and forward sound in the highs?

May 12, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #1,285 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I join in on this thread? I have an Eddie Current HD-300 amp which uses the same power and driver tubes. I want to thank all the contributors over the past 86 pages because the information has been excellent!

I am currently using the HD 300 as a preamp into my Stax srm717 amp and find the combo very good to my ears. Subtle, but definitely there. I have gone from a Sylvania 6AS7G grey plate power tube (lush and balanced) to the TS 5998 and find it adds some needed dynamic punch to the bass of the Omega 2 that I have...and still maintains the great electrostatic mids and PRAT.
Am still rolling in a few 6SN7's to get a sound with more detail in the upper mids and treble...which tube to get a more bold and forward sound in the highs?

I always thought that EC was a cool looking amp
wink.gif

If you want more extended highs, try a Tung-Sol tall-bottle 6SN7WGTA - this tube will have black offset plates and a brown base, and is almost always labeled with the JAN-CTL or USN-CTL military designation.

May 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #1,287 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought that EC was a cool looking amp
wink.gif

If you want more extended highs, try a Tung-Sol tall-bottle 6SN7WGTA - this tube will have black offset plates and a brown base, and is almost always labeled with the JAN-CTL or USN-CTL military designation.

Thanks Sky...will give it a try once I find one. It was one that was not on the list. Matching up the tung sols might be great.

I have read too that the Raytheon vt-231 and possibly a Sylvania brown base ( not sure on designated number) would be good to try also.

May 12, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #1,288 of 1,556
Oskari,
thanks for the info. i sort of guessed the 6-17 is the production year-week code. too bad it's not a complete year, or maybe you (or someone on this thread) can tell that by looking at the tube? i am attaching a picture. that's a quarter next to it. this is so far the shortest 6SN7 i have.
regular_smile .gif

shiaokun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back