Darkest Desires Part V
May 12, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #1,876 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(snip)

I may have to check into Boris and SunO))) I have plenty of Isis and similar groups but the drone style may be too much for me

Well, Boris Pink has a lot of fun rock and roll moments to it.
If I recall correctly, then the drone style is more toward the end of the disk.

I have one SunO))) disk (white one), and if that is any measure, then mostly likely if you want to stay away from drone then this is not the band for you (or me).

Edit:
Gave LVTHN- sentinel hill a spin: smaller than a normal cd-rom in size.
A concept album built around H.P. Lovecraft’s Dunwich Horror.
The disk is one track long slightly over 22 minutes in length.
Musically this is an ambient/electronic album, which I found convincing enough to evoke a taste of the atmospheric “horror” of the story.
So, if you happen to be after something novel, then this might be worth while.

Overview of the story from wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dun...orror#Synopsis

May 15, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #1,877 of 2,645
Okay guys, my Sunn O))) footage is up on YouTube if you want to take a look.

"Camera girl" Karen uploaded them.

She also has some footage of Opeth, Melbourne 2004 and Reverend Bizarre from when she was in Scandinavia earlier this year.

There are a few other users with footage

Here is an okay one of Boris
Start of Feedbacker
Feedbacker

Another person captured some of the faster Boris songs but his camera's mic is really **** and you can't hear anything but clipping and distortion.

So here's some other Boris clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hemKeQDO88k Boris - Pink live at Sydney, AU May 6th (bad sq)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb14rWGRYp4 video clip for Ibitsu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ0gjnvBkNE Feedbacker live in Austin, TX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t3dHC2qcBc Korosu Video clip (must hear song
biggrin.gif
)

May 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #1,878 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay guys, my Sunn O))) footage is up on YouTube if you want to take a look.

"Camera girl" Karen uploaded them.

Camera girl is cool, nice stuff........that is long trip from Oz to Nordic countries to see those other shows, she must be music fanatic, maybe she has other girlfriends that like good music
biggrin.gif

I don't really understand what the appeal is of those long drawn out drones of Sunn O)))) .........the lead singer seems to just be in some kind of trance or stupor

May 16, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #1,879 of 2,645
Quote:

Camera girl is cool, nice stuff........that is long trip from Oz to Nordic countries to see those other shows, she must be music fanatic, maybe she has other girlfriends that like good music
biggrin.gif

Her boyfriend lives in Norway (I don't know whether she met him over there or went there to meet him, haha), apparently he's coming down here in June.

May 16, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #1,880 of 2,645
Quote:

Her boyfriend lives in Norway (I don't know whether she met him over there or went there to meet him, haha), apparently he's coming down here in June.

Wow, she was in my hometown, Turku (judging from the clips). I actually almost went to that gig myself, but didn't have the time (or money) back then. From Australia to the finnish town of 150.000 people, where I live. World sure is small, lol.

May 17, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #1,881 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opeth Homepage
BREAKING NEWS! OPETH AND PETER LINDGREN PART WAYS

Peter Lindgren has stepped down from his guitar wielding duties after 16 years in Opeth. Below is an open letter from Peter addressing the issue: "It is with sadness I announce that Opeth and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.
The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a world-wide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way. The massive amount of touring has taken its toll. Opeth has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier. I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100%, and from both sides this will not be good enough for what Opeth stands for. I will always love playing, listening to, and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

These years has easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together. I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.

I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!! /Peter"

Quote:

REPLACEMENT GUITARIST ANNOUNCED! FREDRIK ÅKESSON (ex. ARCH ENEMY, KRUX) BECOMES FULL TIME MEMBER!

Fredrik Åkesson has been confirmed as being the new guitarist in Opeth. Visit his MySpace at: www.myspace.com/kfredrikakesson

Says Mikael Åkerfeldt: "Well, I think it's too soon right now to fully be able to explain what I feel. Peter and I had been working in this band together for almost half of our lives and we shared some unforgettable experiences together all over the world. We will obviously remain friends and this "break up" has been on very good terms from both sides. We all wish him the best of luck with his future ventures!

Fredrik was the only name that popped up thinking about a replacement for Peter. In my opinion he's one of the top 3 guitar players out of Sweden. We all get along great as we've known each other for maybe 4 years + he already has the experience to take on the circus-like lifestyle we lead as members of Opeth.

I can't wait to see what he can bring to the table musically and also to get out on the roads touring together. His first gig will be at the Ilosaari festival in Finland. I'm sure he'll **** his pants before that one, but then again...so will I!"

Hmm okay. What does this say about where Opeth is going?

Someone should tell Peter that Virgin Black is looking for a new guitarist
tongue.gif

edit: forgot to mention I think Opeth are releasing another live DVD due for Fall (NH) or Spring (SH). Recorded a concert in London in November.

May 17, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #1,882 of 2,645
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like losing Martin Lopez will have more of an effect on the overall sound of Opeth in the future. He seemed to really have a talent for tailoring his playing to whatever style the song required. That's not to say that the guitar parts won't be affected, but I'd guess Mikael wrote the riffs and most guitar parts were laid out by him where the drums may have had a bit more autonomy.

May 17, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #1,883 of 2,645
Hopefully this will provide the inspiration to get back to the roots of Opeth and get away from the easy listening soft Opeth of recent years, sometimes hard to go back though once the chain has been broken.

Fredrik Åkesson is in top 3 of all guitar players in Sweden???????
Never heard of him and see no credits for him on my Arch Enemy CDS, even if he was a session player with AE he would be in the long shadow of the Amott brothers as far as guitar playing......

May 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #1,884 of 2,645
HOLY ****!!! I know that the music industry is volatile and that bands will not be forever, but this is crushing. What Mikael and Peter had going when they played was magic. What Martin Lopez had was magic. Two crucial players have now left Opeth. I know that Mikael is the undisputed leader, but he does not play everything. Mikael is a musical God in my eyes, but I do not know what will happen after this and the departure of Martin. I am of the type who does not like change when things are great, so this is horrible news to me.

Whatever happens though, I know Mikael will still work his magic. I just hope this Fredrik Åkesson has what it takes to fill the, IMO, enormous task of picking up where Peter left off.

May 18, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #1,885 of 2,645
Quote:

Fredrik Åkesson is in top 3 of all guitar players in Sweden???????
Never heard of him and see no credits for him on my Arch Enemy CDS, even if he was a session player with AE he would be in the long shadow of the Amott brothers as far as guitar playing......

NFI about "top 3 guitar player" but Akesson played guitar for Arch Enemy between 2005-2007 when Christopher Amott was unable to, now Amott is back and Akesson has joined Opeth instead.

May 18, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #1,886 of 2,645
Quote:

NFI about "top 3 guitar player" but Akesson played guitar for Arch Enemy between 2005-2007 when Christopher Amott was unable to, now Amott is back and Akesson has joined Opeth instead.

We need the "expert" opinion of the guitar man himself - Nacher - what say ye, is Akesson one of top 3 guitar players in Sweden?

May 19, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #1,887 of 2,645
Quote:

We need the "expert" opinion of the guitar man himself - Nacher - what say ye, is Akesson one of top 3 guitar players in Sweden?

Never seen him play or never even heard of him.. Seems quite weird that Opeth found that replacement guitarist so fast. Well, at least they didn't make such a spectacle out of it, as Nightwish has made from finding their new singer...

In case Mikael wrote about all the riffs/solos, then we aren't in trouble, but if Peter was even partly behind the creativity of classic era Opeth, and is now replaced by a random melodeath-shredder, then Opeth is doomed. Playing the current Opeth songs won't be a problem. Technically they aren't that hard, but creating more classic-era Opeth material is a completely different story...

May 19, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #1,888 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never seen him play or never even heard of him.. Seems quite weird that Opeth found that replacement guitarist so fast. Well, at least they didn't make such a spectacle out of it, as Nightwish has made from finding their new singer...

I think it might be cool to have Dan Swano work with Akerfeldt on one Opeth album, the guy is a one man music machine and has so much talent in all types of dark music, very creative........although at this point in his career I am sure Dan would not like to be in anothers persons band. But just imagine the marriage of Swano's Edge of Sanity material with Opeth's classic style..........it would blow your mind!

I think Swano and Akerfeldt may have done some work together with Bloodbath in the past

May 20, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #1,889 of 2,645
Bloodbath is a Swedish death metal supergroup from Stockholm, formed in 2000. These musicians created the three-song Breeding Death EP in 2000, with the vocals of Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth), the drumming of Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, and more), the heavy guitar sound of Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström (Katatonia, Diabolical Masquerade), and the bass of Jonas Renkse (Katatonia, October Tide). Influenced by positive feedback from fans, the band decided to make a full release. Two years later, Bloodbath released their debut album Resurrection Through Carnage.

In 2004 Mikael Åkerfeldt left Bloodbath to free up more time for Opeth, his main band. To replace him, Bloodbath brought in well-known Peter Tägtgren (Hypocrisy). The line-up changed further with Dan Swanö switching to play the guitar instead of drums. Martin Axenrot (Witchery, Satanic Slaughter and now Opeth) took his place and the band was now bigger and more serious; no longer functioning as just a secondary project. The band's second full release, Nightmares Made Flesh, was released in Europe on September 27, 2004.

In February of 2005, new vocalist Peter Tägtgren left the band due to "conflicting schedules". That same year, Mikael Åkerfeldt rejoined the band for a single live show at Germany's Wacken Open Air Festival on August 5. Prior to the show, the band commented on the Wacken show: "Not only the first, but also the last gig for Bloodbath (with Mikael Åkerfeldt on vocals)" (later also turning out to be the last one with Dan Swanö). In September of 2005, Bloodbath also started a search for a new lead vocalist.

In August 2006, the band announced the departure of Dan Swanö from their ranks due to musical differences and Swanö's restrictions to devote more time and effort to the project in the future. They simultaneously closed the vocal auditions, announcing that no suitable singer had been found.

On March the 27th, the band announced that a new lineup would shortly be unveiled, along with news that they were producing new material, to be released on a mini-cd towards the end of summer.

May 20, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #1,890 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOLY ****!!! I know that the music industry is volatile and that bands will not be forever, but this is crushing. What Mikael and Peter had going when they played was magic. What Martin Lopez had was magic. Two crucial players have now left Opeth.

You may be correct but over all would you say Opeth albums have been getting better? I think there's a stagnation. Even the Roman Empire did eventually decline. I'm not good about it.
mad.gif

DA, I'm interested in your Dimmu Borgir commentary, as in a ranking of their albums and the stand out tracks. Too many albums have been neglected if I wasn't struck immediately and I'm revisiting many, Dimmu and others, with positive results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back