Darkest Desires Part V
Jul 20, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #1,171 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
By Burzum, use Dunkelheit off of Filosofem. Raw, black, awesome lyrics, great beat, catchy, creepy keyboard work. What more can you ask for?

Thanks Cousin Patty.

I have to go through Bathory 1234, Burzum 1234 and Darkthrone (1?)234 to see if it is possible to pick just one for myself. Burzum is tough. Speaking of whom, I was curious about the Burzum tribute album as it has Nokturnal Mortum doing 'My Journey to the Stars'. I did the torrent first but haven't listened yet to see if purchase is worthwhile.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #1,172 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
You guys all make really good points.

So a relaunch? A better title that would bring in more people? What title?

Since I am a relative newcomer, it is not my position to try and change the series of threads, but if you guys want to, I guess it would not bother me any. I could go either way, as the current name does not really bother me. Besides, some of the bands recommended here are beyond cheesy... I mean eye popping cheesy. Just for kicks, how about "Metal-Fi" ?

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #1,173 of 2,645
as long as there's no metalcore or nu-metal, I'm happy
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #1,174 of 2,645
Just ordered

Sunn o))) - White1
Sunn o))) - White2
Earth - Earth 2
Therion - Theli

from MovieMars (they have a sale on)
smily_headphones1.gif

pretty cheap, $45 USD inc shipping to aus ($14 shipping cost)

Head-Fi Metal Discussion Thread might be a worthy name, Metal Fidelity even? Metal-Fi doesnt really seem to eyecatching to me. And yeah I'm too new to be making any of these decisions
tongue.gif

Although we don't always discuss metal here, we discuss Dark Music
tongue.gif
, so perhaps the Darkness theme should be kept, just a less cheesy name

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #1,175 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
By Burzum, use Dunkelheit off of Filosofem. Raw, black, awesome lyrics, great beat, catchy, creepy keyboard work. What more can you ask for?

It is an awesome song. I'm just finishing up a listen through albums 1-4. Difficult to choose just one, EA, Lord of the Depths, Spell of Destruction, Key to the Gate, etc. It'd be good to have that inimitable Varg (why so upset?) Vikernes scream/howl happening. I do prefer the songs with a touch of sadness to them; I think it is important because anyone with a thimble full of psychological insight knows that it is sadness that lays at the heart of anger.

I'm in no hurry on my little private Black Metal Singles project. I've been thinking of having it confined to the second wave, maybe having three songs and multi disc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
as long as there's no metalcore or nu-metal, I'm happy
wink.gif

Yes that would be a problem. How to open the doors wider without letting just anyone in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Since I am a relative newcomer, it is not my position to try and change the series of threads, but if you guys want to, I guess it would not bother me any. I could go either way, as the current name does not really bother me. Besides, some of the bands recommended here are beyond cheesy... I mean eye popping cheesy. Just for kicks, how about "Metal-Fi" ?

Quote:

Head-Fi Metal Discussion Thread might be a worthy name, Metal Fidelity even? Metal-Fi doesnt really seem to eyecatching to me. And yeah I'm too new to be making any of these decisions
tongue.gif

Although we don't always discuss metal here, we discuss Dark Music
tongue.gif
, so perhaps the Darkness theme should be kept, just a less cheesy name

I'm the same as you two. I brought up the idea but I feel rather humble about deciding what the name should be. I wish someone else would hit upon the right name. Generic enough to be clear?

Metal Darkness Fi........Dark-Metal-Fi

or not

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #1,176 of 2,645
Quote:

To see if you like black metal i'd probably have a look at Emperor if you like them then you'll be right with the rest of the stuff.

Interesting in your Thrash/Speed list you don't have Nevermore, not my cup of tea but a band you may like

And yes the Power/Progressive Metal, well that leaves some room for alot of the stuff I listen to despite sonic differences, will get onto that in a bit

Traditional Doom Metal has a bit in common with some heavy metal, in that case I recommend, if you already don't have them, trying the earlier Black Sabbath albums, and perhaps some Candlemass, Reverend Bizzare and perhaps Electric Wizard (which is more Traditional/Stoner Doom).

Power Metal wise, we do talk about some Power Metal in here a bit, if you like Nightwish, I recommend grabbing anything you can find by After Forever as they have the best female operatic singer in Metal in Floor Jansen and some great guitar work, earliest releases are less Power Metal and more Symphonic Gothic Metal similar to the first Nightwish album but of much better quality, they also have a male "grunter" vocalist, Decipher and Remagine are probably the best albums to get from them, as it gives you an idea of both sounds, Decipher is the better album but Remagine does really rock.

A must have for the female-vocal metal stuff is The Gathering - Mandylion, this is the key Female Vocal Dark Metal album, has the best female vocals i've ever heard in metal and is a very solid CD, atmospheric but heavy too.

Good to see that you've got alot of the male vocal Progressive Metal bands in there, I can't really stand those "higher octave" vocals of James LaBrie and the like myself, so I stick to the Avantegarde Metal/Darker Progressive Metal stuff.

Must have that most people will recommend checking out is Opeth a band that i've only recently gotten into, but some very worthwhile releases, latest album Ghost Reveries is probably most newbie-friendly and has alot of the atypical Prog Rock elements mixed with their heavy style, but their real masterpieces are the first four albums, IMO.

My favourite albums ever (so far) are Maudlin of the Well - Bath and Leaving Your Body Map, which you can buy for only $8 each, free shipping from Dark Symphonies, they blend prog death/sludge-doom/jazz/atmospheric rock and some very nice acoustic guitar work into some thing that they called "Astral Metal", not the most technical release ever, but the band itself was conceptually amazing.

Other of these style bands that will have you going "wow, I never knew metal like this existed" would be Virgin Black, Atrox, Madder Mortem and Ram-Zet who cover various extremes of Avantegarde styled Metal and sound not even remotely close to eachother.

You should also give a CD I recently picked up a shot, I think I got it for about $13 USD from Galy Records, Canada, called Augury - Concealed which blends Brutal Death Metal with progressive metal and if you enjoy that I'd say you'd be right to check out stuff like Nile, Deicide etc

Therion is another band that you should get a kick out of as well, best work probably lies in Theli and Lemuria, Vovin, Secret of the Runes and Deggial are also very good, and that reminds me i've got to order their Live DVD (4 DVD, 2 CD) Boxed Set.

That should get you started anyhow, that way you've covered alot of ground and can sort of work out what styles you like best (the more the merrier) and should have a fun and perhaps challenging time
biggrin.gif

I'll have to give Emperor and Nevermore. As for Sabbath, they're among my favorites as well, just forgot to put em up. I'm also a fan of Nightwish, but Opeth doesn't really attract me all that much. I need to give the others a try as well, looking forward to it, thanks!

Quote:

Wow, you guys are going to make Shaftedtwice, captainzoli, and anyone else lurking very poor paupers. I can see it now:

Welcome to Darkest-Fi: Sorry About Your Wallet

Well, to add to the fire (Ha!!!), I have a small list of bands that I have been into over the past year or so along the lines of this genre. This will hopefully underscore some of the already said suggestions by these metal nuts earlier.

Opeth
Virgin Black
The Gathering
Arcturus
Elegeion
Dark Tranquility (not a real fan of the earlier stuff, but hey, I have changed my mind before)
Dark Suns
Swallow the Sun

I guess I have got to start making a list of the bands I want to try soon. So far I have got:
Maudlin of the Well
Moonlight
UneXpect
Madder Mortem

Haha, I'll live in a cardboard box to listen to metal!!

Dark Tranquility is really good and I have given Virgin Black a little try, haven't listened to them much though, but from what I here I like. Seems like my hands are gonna be full this week looking for these bands, thanks man!

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #1,177 of 2,645
Got my order in a couple of days ago, and finally had a chance to give everything a couple of run thoughs. So far:

DEFLESHED - Royal Straight Flesh

To me, this sounds lot like a thrash band that has a death metal like vocal style. I like the sound overall, but can be a bit monotonous at times. Still, I like the aggressiveness of the music.

HECATE ENTHRONED - The Blackend Collection

The first time I checked these discs out, I didn't care for them that much. After listening to them several times each, I like them alot more. They aren't my favorites, but they will stay in rotation for a while. It is the periodic, high pitched vocals that are causing issues for me with these. Reminds me of Dani Filth, in a way. Not a good way. Music has a tendancy to grow on me over time though. Oh, and sometimes the keyboard stuff isn't meshed well with the rest of the sound. I really like the sound of the deeper vocals.

EUCHARIST - Mirrorworlds

I really like this CD, but I'm not completely sure why. It has a nice variety of styles, and the vocals sound great for the style of music presented.

DARKANE - Rusted Angel

Another thrash meets death metal sounding CD. The guitar work is strong on this one, as is the drumming. My second favorite out of the five, after the Eucharist CD.

So, I figured it was time to go shopping again. This time I have ordered Embracing - "I Bear the Burden of Time" a re-issue that is supposed to have seven added tracks and Dissection - "Storm of the Lights Bane" another re-mastered, re-issue that comes with a bonus disc, but since I have heard neither of the originals, it will all be new to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #1,178 of 2,645
I farted around on DC++ and managed to get all of the Elend albums as best quality as I could find (right now I am connected to 147 hubs, lol). Holy crap!!! Why did I not try this stuff before? This is AWESOME stuff
eek.gif

I understand that their trilogy is a pain to find, but I WILL have all Elend albums sooner or later. I will probably ask for them for Christmas, as my wife has caught wind of my CD fetish. I asked her what she thought, "This stuff is weird and depressing." She especially liked the bloodcurdling screams and shouting, NOT. Muhahaha, sounds like a seal of approval to me
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

If anyone has any leads to where I can find the earlier three (especially The Umbersun), please let me know. This stuff is unbelievably good!!!

I still have not tried any of the other stuff yet, as I have made it my quest to get the best quality Elend stuff to tide me over so I can get the CDs for Christmas.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #1,179 of 2,645
Quote:

I will probably ask for them for Christmas, as my wife has caught wind of my CD fetish. I asked her what she thought, "This stuff is weird and depressing." She especially liked the bloodcurdling screams and shouting, NOT. Muhahaha, sounds like a seal of approval to me
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can understand that. My wife just shakes her head when she hears about whatever CDs I'm ordering.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #1,180 of 2,645
Quote:

I farted around on DC++ and managed to get all of the Elend albums as best quality as I could find (right now I am connected to 147 hubs, lol). Holy crap!!! Why did I not try this stuff before? This is AWESOME stuff
eek.gif

I understand that their trilogy is a pain to find, but I WILL have all Elend albums sooner or later. I will probably ask for them for Christmas, as my wife has caught wind of my CD fetish. I asked her what she thought, "This stuff is weird and depressing." She especially liked the bloodcurdling screams and shouting, NOT. Muhahaha, sounds like a seal of approval to me
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

If anyone has any leads to where I can find the earlier three (especially The Umbersun), please let me know. This stuff is unbelievably good!!!

I still have not tried any of the other stuff yet, as I have made it my quest to get the best quality Elend stuff to tide me over so I can get the CDs for Christmas.

Awesome! Two thumbs up. I'm a total Elend fan, even though most people can't seem to appreciate such an extremely unique sound. Did you try out the winds cycle albums (Winds Devouring Men & Sunwar The Dead)? I vastly prefer them over the older, more raw trilogy.

The Umbersum is impossible to find new. I found mine used with some luck. The others (le tenebres du dehors, lecons des tenebres, weeping nights) are still available new, though quite hard to find. Winds cycle is easy to find, as it's released by Prophecy.

Jul 26, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #1,181 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Awesome! Two thumbs up. I'm a total Elend fan, even though most people can't seem to appreciate such an extremely unique sound. Did you try out the winds cycle albums (Winds Devouring Men & Sunwar The Dead)? I vastly prefer them over the older, more raw trilogy.

The Umbersum is impossible to find new. I found mine used with some luck. The others (le tenebres du dehors, lecons des tenebres, weeping nights) are still available new, though quite hard to find. Winds cycle is easy to find, as it's released by Prophecy.

I like all of them; although, Tenebres du Dehors seems to have a little too much of the "screaming" I do not like throuougt the album (like the beginning of Dancing Under the Closed Eyes of Paradise). I am fine with the screaming at the beginning of Du Trefonds Des Tenebres, but this is more like "oh my God, what did you do?!!" screaming.

Mind you, I am giving these impressions early. I have not really had the time to really listen to them yet, so my preferences might change. I like the Umbersun the best as it is now, as it seems to be the darkest and most evil. I LOVE the deep narration throughout; evil stuff!!! Sunwar the Dead is a little too repetative (eg. Ares In Their Eyes), I wish it would wander a little more like The Umbersun. All of them are awesome in different ways. The sound quality is astounding. I will say this though, even though this stuff is amazing, I will probably not be able to blast this much because people will think I am the antichrist
tongue.gif

Edit:

Unfortunately, it looks like Virgin Black is going to make me wait until the new year to release their new album(s):

Announcements

27th July 2006 - Given the unorthodox nature of Virgin Black's current obsession - a series of three Requiems, questions have understandably been coming thick and fast on all manner of details. Most prevalent is the question pertaining to potential release schedules and with all three albums nearing completion the crucial parties have seen fit to impart a certain amount of clarity. The three albums will be released on a slightly staggered time scale beginning with Requiem - mezzo forte, the second in the series, followed by Requiem - fortissimo the last in the series and an album of intense heaviness. The first in the series, an all classical affair, Requiem - pianissimo will be the final release. The parade of albums will begin first thing in the New Year with tours to follow. We wait with bated breath.

BUMMER

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #1,182 of 2,645
I found that interesting but not unexpected.

It seems that a few bands on The End Records recently have had to delay albums because they were not happy with the Production or the Mastering or something, UneXpect's album was due late May/early June ...

Also I just watched the Opeth Documentary on the Lamentations DVD... regarding something that Mikael said near the end of the documentary was that he had plans for a borderline black metal album / concept album with perhaps occult lyrical content.

Perhaps this may be their next route, I would certainly be pleased by that
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #1,183 of 2,645
Quote:

Also I just watched the Opeth Documentary on the Lamentations DVD... regarding something that Mikael said near the end of the documentary was that he had plans for a borderline black metal album / concept album with perhaps occult lyrical content.

Perhaps this may be their next route, I would certainly be pleased by that
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anything would be preferable to the direction taken on that god forsaken "damnation" album, ha ha

For Virgin Black............if I buy three individual CDs I envision a deluxe 3CD box set being issued soon afterwards that will make me want to buy that also??? Perhaps not but makes me wonder if I should keep my powder dry..........on the other hand I may want to pass on the "pianissimo" album (very soft/quiet)

CZ
Many people compare early Hecate Enthroned to COF for good reason, they do sound very similar which for me is good thing.
I also have the same Eucharist and Rusted Angel you have, melodic death metal that is pretty good stuff although I don't get around to listening to them that much.

For sure........get the classic Dissection reissue with EP bonus tracks!

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #1,184 of 2,645
Quote:

It seems that a few bands on The End Records recently have had to delay albums because they were not happy with the Production or the Mastering or something, UneXpect's album was due late May/early June ...

I am more than willing to wait a few more months if that means the sound quality will be better. Their first two albums have amazing sound quality, IMO, with great dynamics and absolutely no rice crispies during the louder parts.

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #1,185 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
For Virgin Black............if I buy three individual CDs I envision a deluxe 3CD box set being issued soon afterwards that will make me want to buy that also??? Perhaps not but makes me wonder if I should keep my powder dry..........on the other hand I may want to pass on the "pianissimo" album (very soft/quiet)

I am not too sure what to do either, I do remember Samantha telling me that it would ultimately be presented as a box set, perhaps a Limited Edition version will be a box-set, either way I'll try to get some more information on it as the new year closes in. Virgin Black also cancelled their one-off show in Sydney in November too ... strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back