Darkest Desires Part V
Mar 17, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #1,756 of 2,645
I have 2-3 Tvangeste Cds that I picked up over the last few years cheap at Dark Symphonies.......I like them. I don't have Hate Forest but I think there is some connection to Drudkh, I have several of those.

Sent my AKG K701 to Moon Audio for split Black Dragon cable surgery, this might be maddness since total cost will be as much as headphones cost me
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #1,757 of 2,645
and all for a ~5-10% increase in sound quality
wink.gif

and yeah Hate Forest has two members from Drudkh in the band, which obviously means, High Quality music.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #1,758 of 2,645
You know, this thread has introduced me to alot of great music, but it is impossible to keep up with you guys!! First of all, you all seem to be picking up new music at an ridiculous pace. Then there is the issue of availability of dark metal in Hong Kong (and my stubborn refuse to mail order till a get a second credit card solely for this purpose).

Anyway, I got my hands of a few things lately, namely, Therion's Gothic Kabbalah, The Gathering's Home and Isis' Panopticon, and Symphony X's Divine Wings of Tragedy. After giving them a cursory first listen, I seem to like the Isis the most. The Symphony X disc is way to cheesy for my taste but I was curious. The Gathering's Home is okay, but didn't particularly hit a chord with me. The Therion double album also failed to impress me - I think I prefer even Lemuria and Sirius B to this Gothic Kabbalah.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #1,759 of 2,645
Hello to Enverxis, DarkAngel, Nacher and the crew. I have been reading this post for a couple of weeks and my first purchases have crossed the great divide and made their way to Kabul. This is a great thread...I have spent so much time trying to find bands like these over the years...I had a couple of albums from some of these bands before but not the right albums...here's what came/is coming:

Old Man's Child:
Vermin

Agalloch:
Ashes Against the Grain
The Mantle

Devin Townsend Band:
Synchestra
Ocean Machine [Extra tracks] [Original

Katatonia:
Brave Murder Day

Enslaved:
Below the Lights

Dark Tranquility:
Haven
Character [Enhanced]
Damage Done

Falkenbach:
...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri
Ok Nefna Tysbar Ty
Heralding the Fireblade

Nocturnal Mortum:
Lunar Poetry

Tristania:
Widow's Weeds

Bloodbath:
Breeding Death [Explicit Lyrics] [EP]
Resurrection Through Carnage

Great thread..hope to throw my two cents in down the road. I am still waiting for Todd to send out the RS-1s. I was looking at the BD for them but decided to give them a shot stock....

I noticed that the thread was slowing down a bit so I figured I throw in something....I am too much of a lurker on headfi.

I had World of Glass from Tristania before but it wasn't my cup of tea...really am digging Widow's Weeds.

Good hunting and good luck...Michael

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #1,760 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had World of Glass from Tristania before but it wasn't my cup of tea...really am digging Widow's Weeds.

Oh crap. I have World Of Glass - it is OK but nothing outstanding. Now I really need to find Widow Weeds.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #1,761 of 2,645
You can tell from the first track "preludium" that it is coming and then "Even Fall" comes on and it just continues to just unfold, really well put together album all around from the first couple of listens. I really like the male vocals alot better on Widow's Weeds, it is more the "bueaty and the beast" type vocals to start...less operatic for the male side. I really dig the contrasting vocals and over all it just has a better atmosphere than on World of Glass. I think when I was sampling World of Glass, I could tell that it was a style that I would like but until the latest purchase I think that I had sort of put it on the back burner unless I was really looking for it.

I haven't received Brave Murder Day from Katatonia yet but I can tell I am going to like it more than the Cold Distance as well.

That is what I really love about this thread. I have gone back and listened to some of the recommended albums from bands that I had sort of decided were not my sound and found that they have that great album that I should of bought first...then the other ones start to grow on you a bit once you can get into the band. Guess it boils down to getting sound advice and the right albums to start off with.

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #1,762 of 2,645
Widow's Weeds is a fantastic album, I don't listen to it too much anymore due to ever growing collection, but it would be an album that would get a 5/5 from me.

I quite like World of Glass, although the lyrics are quite poor. Beyond the Veil is pretty good too, just doesn't quite reach the same heights as Widow's Weeds for me.

Avoid everything after that.

If you like Widow's Weeds you should probably get these
Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness they Fear, Aegis
After Forever - Prison of Desire, Decipher
Epica - The Phantom Agony
Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #1,763 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and yeah Hate Forest has two members from Drudkh in the band, which obviously means, High Quality music.

In that Drawing Down the Moon sense, maybe.

I found Drudkh to be more interesting than the tracks on Nietzscheism, and left it at that.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #1,764 of 2,645
Quote:

Some other bands that I have discovered/enjoying recently

Ved Buens Ende (Norweign Avantgarde Black Metal)

Well, to link from that give Fleurety a try; great avantgrade music there.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #1,765 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that Drawing Down the Moon sense, maybe.

I found Drudkh to be more interesting than the tracks on Nietzscheism, and left it at that.

I've tried Sorrow, Battlefields and their first demo and I really enjoyed all three, Battlefields was probably the best of the three, but still not as good as Drudkh's best releases.

I have actually have tried some Fleurety and quite enjoyed them too.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #1,766 of 2,645
Quote:

Widow's Weeds is a fantastic album, I don't listen to it too much anymore due to ever growing collection, but it would be an album that would get a 5/5 from me.

I quite like World of Glass, although the lyrics are quite poor. Beyond the Veil is pretty good too, just doesn't quite reach the same heights as Widow's Weeds for me.

Avoid everything after that.

If you like Widow's Weeds you should probably get these
Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness they Fear, Aegis
After Forever - Prison of Desire, Decipher
Epica - The Phantom Agony
Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens

Hey Enverxis, thanks, I checked out these and ordered the After Forever, Epica and Sirenia albums that you recommended. I am going to be in the US for a bit so I figured I pick up something new to listen to for the flight back...takes a couple of days. I will look into Theatre of Tragedy when I am at home.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #1,767 of 2,645
Widow's Weeds was in 1998, so obviously the latter After Forever, Epica and Sirenia albums will sound different, but they are probably the best similar releases.

Widow's Weeds and Velvet Darkness they Fear are probably the pinnacle of 90's Gothic Metal.
I wouldn't really call The Gathering - Mandylion Gothic Metal, it's more Atmospheric Metal like Tiamat - Wildhoney but that's also well worth getting if you haven't got it already, gets super praise from all frequent posters of DD Thread.

edit:

We have our first review of Virgin Black's Requiem - Mezzo Forte

Not necessarily a positive review, although the reviewer just may not be a doom metal fan, as he makes absolutely no reference / comparison to anything else except the band's previous album.
Quote:

However, the album has a tendency to drag, finding itself measured too steeply in the melodrama of a Hollywood film score. Failing to pick up any steam until track 5, the album is already thirty minutes old before any emotional layers are really added

Quote:

While many will applaud this release, I can only applaud Virgin Black’s efforts and earnestness. Requiem - Mezzo Forte is missing the extra punch to deliver its emotion, and instead falls more on the dragging than engaging side in the end. Still, if you are into classical-laced doom or Virgin Black’s earlier works, it would be worth forming your own opinions on this one.

I balled my eyes out the first time I heard "...and I am Suffering", so I think that the emotion that the reviewer is looking for is of a different kind to what I get from the music
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #1,768 of 2,645
Quote:

We have our first review of Virgin Black's Requiem - Mezzo Forte

Not necessarily a positive review, although the reviewer just may not be a doom metal fan, as he makes absolutely no reference / comparison to anything else except the band's previous album.

I balled my eyes out the first time I heard "...and I am Suffering", so I think that the emotion that the reviewer is looking for is of a different kind to what I get from the music
wink.gif

Crap review. He goes into no detail at all. I wonder if he even knows this album is a part of a trilogy, hence the lack of a "fortissimo", pun intended. The album is not meant to stand on its own. I for one, am dying to hear this album, as their teaser track sounds amazing. One thing that did strike me as disappointing if true, Rowan's vocals are more hidden in the mix. That would suck if true. We shall see...

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #1,769 of 2,645
They did that on Elegant and Dying, put his vocals further back in the mix than on Sombre Romantic, I can tell from the mp3 that they are a little bit more forward on that song anyway.

Just got this from the VB Fan Mail
Quote:

Despite inferences to the contrary, it is now confirmed that Virgin Black will appear for only one exclusive show in Europe in support of the release of "Requiem - mezzo forte". The band will headline the Elements Of Rock Festival in Zurich, Switzerland, held on the 20th and 21st of April. This will be the first opportunity to buy the album, as the official European release date is 27th April. The album itself will be released by Massacre Records as a special limited edition digipak with bonus disk.

Requiem - mezzo forte
1. Requiem, Kyrie
2. In death
3. Midnight's hymn
4. ...and I am suffering
5. Domine
6. Lacrimosa (I am blind with weeping)
7. Rest eternal

Bonus retrospective CD + video
1. Mother of Cripples (Demo)
2. Whispers of Dead Sisters (Trance)
3. Museum of Iscariot (Sombre Romantic)
4. Our Wings Are Burning (Elegant...and Dying)
+ Our Wings Are Burning video clip

frown.gif

Sorry for the Europeans on this one. VB were originally going to be touring starting in London at the Underworld in Camden but because of Draconian being very unprofessional and pulling out as headliner.

I'm pretty sure Virgin Black wanted to do an extensive European tour, I wonder if there was some management **** up along the way to make this impossible, or perhaps one of the band members is unable to stay out of the country for that long. I know that Mark Kelson of The Eternal is doing the rhythm guitar for the Aus and Switzerland gig, perhaps it was he who could not be available.

Fear not Americans though, The End Records will set things straight over there, Matt I dare say there will be a show near you
tongue.gif
I hope you get to see them.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #1,770 of 2,645
Finnish tabloids are now celebrating Vibeke Stene as the new Nightwish vocalist. It's still a rumour and unconfirmed, but it sounds like an interesting turn for Nightwish. Maybe they will ditch those Evanescene-influences now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back