Dap with best SQ. I know another thread for best DAP.
Oct 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Guidostrunk

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in search for Sound quality, well top of the line sound quality from a portable DAP. I have been leaning towards an RWA I-mod for best possible sound but open to suggestions from my fellow head-fiers. I'm currently in possesion of a Pico slim for amplification and will be using the Em3 pro's and Sm3 for phones and i'm thinking that my Sansa Fuze would be the weakest link in the sound chain. I'm also looking for a player with Line out capabilities for use with an LOD. But SQ is top priority for me. So far i have read some threads in my quest but they seem to be old as there is so many great players out these days ie. Sflo2, J3, 801, 602 etc. One thing i do not want to happen is a DAP war to start i just need suggestions.

Cheers,

Sam

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 17
Please, search the forum friend, I think we're all a bit exhausted answering this question over & over,.........considering you're not a nOOb.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Please, search the forum friend, I think we're all a bit exhausted answering this question over & over,.........considering you're not a nOOb.

I have been reading and reading and reading and i guess it comes down to just choosing one of the elite Daps out there to meet my needs. I have been reading recently about the whipmod seems like a great choice. The 801 just seems to bulky and ofcourse SQ is first and foremost, that thing is just damn ugly( 801) looks like a great concept player for the 80's
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 17
At least narrow things down a little bit by letting us know if you use EQ/sound enhancements or if you are opposed to them.
wink_face.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm not a big fan of EQ's , or sound enhancements. Although in some instances tweaking things is needed at times , but for the most part i lean towards a natural / neutral sound. Flat response and let the music do it's thing. Cheers

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 17
Yeah it seems you already know all the players which many regard as "the best". You have to work out for yourself the advantages and disadvantages of each player, for you!

Here's food for though. If you think the HiFiMan is a brick keep in mind a xMod + amp is often larger in size and weight. But of course it depends on which amp you use and if you don't mind width vs length or things like that.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of EQ's , or sound enhancements. Although in some instances tweaking things is needed at times , but for the most part i lean towards a natural / neutral sound. Flat response and let the music do it's thing. Cheers

Is gapless playback important to you?

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 17

Not really, its all about SQ. Its a shame that the designer of the 801 has no clue
eek.gif
. I mean has this person not had a look around and see where technology is these days as far as a cosmetic stand point. At least the Sflo2 looks somewhat of an updated player, but i know of people with complaints about the UI. I'm sure the 801 sounds amazing, i just can't get passed the design.
Quote:
Is gapless playback important to you?

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
I have been reading and reading and reading and i guess it comes down to just choosing one of the elite Daps out there to meet my needs. I have been reading recently about the whipmod seems like a great choice. The 801 just seems to bulky and ofcourse SQ is first and foremost, that thing is just damn ugly( 801) looks like a great concept player for the 80's
smily_headphones1.gif

The RWA imod with the pico slim would also be kind of bulky. Why would you care if it's ugly? You aren't going to hang it around your neck or whatever?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back