DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Oct 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,111 of 2,125

Hey Kiats, I noticed in your signature that you have the AK240, Calyx M, DX100, HM901, TeraPlayer, and ZX1 so you have a pretty good perspective in this dap off. Which is your favorite that you typically reach for and which ones are collecting dust, and why? How does the Calyx M fit into that range in terms of SQ?​

Well, firstly, I should say that I don't prescribe to the view that there is one DAP to rule them all. Each of the DAPs I have in my little collection brings a different thing to the table. I typically try to rotate them. But of course when I travel, its the AK240 that goes with me, primarily because it's convenient and small enough to be handy.

I can tell you two that I don't use as much: the DX100 and the AK100. The DX100 I still hang on to because it was the first audiophile DAP I picked up. It was wonderful for its time. However, it is biggish and has that terrible pop when it wakes up or when powered on which makes it painful for IEMs. The AK100 is still a wonderful little player with a nice raw sound and great clarity. 

The AK240 as I said is very convenient on the go. Sonic wise, it has a nice and fairly neutral signature. The best output from it is via the balanced output - this is where it comes into its own - wide and deep soundstage is possible with the right IEMs. And the details you can get is quite stunning.

The HM901 is very flexible because you can change amplifier cards to suit your tastes. I have all the official amp cards as well as the Angel and discrete cards. Frankly, SQ wise, the HM901 still takes the cake. The only inconvenience is the proprietary charging system which militates against taking it on the plane or on long trips on the road.

The Calyx M I fell in love with because of its lush sound signature. This is a little larger than the others. However, the fact that it takes USB charging helps make its case when I'm on the road. The latest FW 1.0 has done something quite subtle: it has deepened the soundstage and improved layering while widening the sound stage. The Calyx comes very closely behind the 901 and the AK240.

The HM801 (and HM802 for that matter) have very organic signatures - very musical even if not the most transparent or resolving around. It is simply to enjoy the music. The HM801 is wonderful for vocals. For that I will forgive the fact that it can only read up to 32GB SD cards. 

The ZX1 has great synergy with Fitear customs: it may not the best SQ around but it is sheer musical exuberance and joy. This one is useful for me because Sony has a great implementation of the DLNA protocol and therefore I can stream music from my NAS all over the house.

The Tera Player is the one player which I can just bring along on a trip. It is small and compact. Battery life in quite incredible in this day and age. It takes USB charging. And the musical signature is quite stunning. It only takes WAV files and only plays up to 16 bits but who cares when it sounds so organic. Some people have suggested that it almost sounds like vinyl. It has been a while since I listened to vinyls but I understand what they mean. It is not the most resolving or detailed but it is one which is easy to love. It has no display but if you just load in all your favourite albums or compilations inside, does it really matter? This player is really very much back to basics - it's all about the music. Just the music.

The ARM1 is another little player which is puzzling because it only has 32GB onboard and doesn't have any expansion slots. And it plays only up to 16 bits. However, it is sounds wonderful. Clear, detailed and organic. In terms of sound, the Tera is still ahead but it is close. Ah.. and remember this one has a Class A amplifier in that small package - so it drives my Ref 1 and 1Plus2 very well with really stunning results.

Last, but not least, is the HM650. I've only had it a week or so. However, it seems close to the 802 signature save that it is more mid-centric. More like the old HM6xx series. I can tell you that because I actually have the HM603 Slim. This player is really for mid-centric music like vocals. While it will play other music very competently, it doesn't have as much dynamic range as the 802. 

Hmm... I hope that helps. Please note that, at the end of the day, there is no one universal truth. Music doesn't exist in a vacuum but is a function of what we want and the circumstances in which we listen to it. 
atsmile.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,112 of 2,125

The AK240 as I said is very convenient on the go. Sonic wise, it has a nice and fairly neutral signature. The best output from it is via the balanced output - this is where it comes into its own - wide and deep soundstage is possible with the right IEMs. And the details you can get is quite stunning.

The HM901 is very flexible because you can change amplifier cards to suit your tastes. I have all the official amp cards as well as the Angel and discrete cards. Frankly, SQ wise, the HM901 still takes the cake. The only inconvenience is the proprietary charging system which militates against taking it on the plane or on long trips on the road.

The Calyx M I fell in love with because of its lush sound signature. This is a little larger than the others. However, the fact that it takes USB charging helps make its case when I'm on the road. The latest FW 1.0 has done something quite subtle: it has deepened the soundstage and improved layering while widening the sound stage. The Calyx comes very closely behind the 901 and the AK240.
atsmile.gif

Thanks for the insight Kiats, that was really helpful.

I finally got a chance to hear the AK lineup and the HM901 with the balanced and minibox cards, but couldn't find a Calyx M to audition. So your descriptions are very useful. I loved the new AK DAP signature and ended getting the 100 II feeling it was good enough and retained most of the 240 signature. However, I just couldn't learn to like the 901 with either card - perhaps it was due to the horrific music selection on the device and my inability to find an adapter to play my own music. However, the slow start, the UI, and the lack of control when pocketed really turned me off not to mention the 1960s look. My hopes is that the Calyx M has that lush signature in a more modern design. Even if it falls a little short in SQ, the usability factor should make up for it. I think you are confirming my hopes. If only I could find a Calyx M to audition.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,114 of 2,125
Thanks for the insight Kiats, that was really helpful.

I finally got a chance to hear the AK lineup and the HM901 with the balanced and minibox cards, but couldn't find a Calyx M to audition. So your descriptions are very useful. I loved the new AK DAP signature and ended getting the 100 II feeling it was good enough and retained most of the 240 signature. However, I just couldn't learn to like the 901 with either card - perhaps it was due to the horrific music selection on the device and my inability to find an adapter to play my own music. However, the slow start, the UI, and the lack of control when pocketed really turned me off not to mention the 1960s look. My hopes is that the Calyx M has that lush signature in a more modern design. Even if it falls a little short in SQ, the usability factor should make up for it. I think you are confirming my hopes. If only I could find a Calyx M to audition.

No worries. Glad it was useful. Heheh! That's why I find the HMs comforting - reminds me of my childhood. :wink:

Ah... I should warn you that the Calyx M is larger than the HMs, albeit slimmer. :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,115 of 2,125
Well, for all that, it will matter not if the Fiio house sound is not what you are after.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pleas forgive my ignorance as I'm really taking a hard look at the 900.  Does the HM have a house sound with all the interchangable amp cards?
On another note, unless I'm badly mistaken, the X5 has two slots that future firmwares will allow larger capacity memory cards.  What is the situation with the HM-900, please?
Thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,116 of 2,125

Pleas forgive my ignorance as I'm really taking a hard look at the 900.  Does the HM have a house sound with all the interchangable amp cards?
On another note, unless I'm badly mistaken, the X5 has two slots that future firmwares will allow larger capacity memory cards.  What is the situation with the HM-900, please?
Thanks in advance.

Pff Amp Cards

what Hifiman has is a House Sound in it's Dac. I had an HM 601 and HM 801, I never used the Amp in either one but the Line Out in each has had a wonderful sound... the HIFIMAN house sound, rich warm analog, almost tube like! I'll have my hm901 by like Monday and I'm excited to hear the END game for that Hifiman House Sound! From what I enjoyed about my hm801 I think I'll be very pleased with my 901 

but the hifiman sound is in the dac circuit n out of the Line Out

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,117 of 2,125
Thanks in advance.

You mean the HM901? It's character is that it has great details and dynamism. The 802 and 650 are more analogue.

As for capacity of SD cards, Fengwei07 is using 256GB SD card with no issues. :wink:

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,118 of 2,125
You mean the HM901? It's character is that it has great details and dynamism. The 802 and 650 are more analogue.

As for capacity of SD cards, Fengwei07 is using 256GB SD card with no issues.
wink.gif

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW that celluar depth has got to be un stable xD [maybe not its 2014 already] but yea I'll stick with my plethora of Class 4 32gb Cards, it's how I switch up my Genres xD

ehm that said, I'll let you know how the HM901 sounds to my ears when I get it Monday, the last few days I spent with my hm801 I felt it sounded a smidge to bloated and slow with my W1000X 

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,119 of 2,125
  EWWWWWWWWWWWWW that celluar depth has got to be un stable xD [maybe not its 2014 already] but yea I'll stick with my plethora of Class 4 32gb Cards, it's how I switch up my Genres xD

ehm that said, I'll let you know how the HM901 sounds to my ears when I get it Monday, the last few days I spent with my hm801 I felt it sounded a smidge to bloated and slow with my W1000X 

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.  Line-out is probably how I'd use it.  Also comforting to hear about Fengwi's 256k card.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,121 of 2,125
Oct 26, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #1,123 of 2,125
Oct 27, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,124 of 2,125
Ok I got my player, there is one Hickup, the Line out is RCA :/ didn't realize that, but it's no biggie Radio Shack Sells a RCA male to 3.5mm Male and also sells the RCA Male to Female Couplers, so I can get the Line Out up and running tonight

but how, one I got the cable in there and the Rcas hooked into my amp How do I use the Line out Function?

Also the cable is a little short, BUT Mono Price sell a 7Inch RCA famale to male 3.5mm which is PERFECT as it's just the right  lenght, So until It get's here I'll have to deal with the 3Foot Er from Radio Shack xD 

Ok update is working, and THANK THE LAWRD, I got a 256 MB Fat32 Card I use with my Camera that was perfect for the firm ware update, and yes guys that 256 MEGA BYTES xD not even GB, but I love my old Card. It hold about 100 Pictures on my schiit camera and it's slow as balls 

BUT GUESS WHAT, the cellular level is so shallow it'll last like forever 

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,125 of 2,125
TO start with! If you do no have finger Nails, this may not be the easier player to take apart <3 

getting the battery off... impossible as my finger nails are like non existant [almost no white at the ends of my finger nails, as I work in food service and nails r yucky] 

GETTING the amp card out was equally as TERRIBLE, I didn't even remove it! Thank gawd I don't care to use it, though it will drain my battery.

Also Tachi 2.0 is Gorgeous looking! I mean really it's very nice. Much different from the Orignal Firm ware and much different from the HM801

Also, the scroll wheel is terrible... I kinda have to mash the thing harder than I'd like. I would have loved to just have some freaking up down left right buttons

LASTLY, the player is MUCH smaller than I thought it was :O (like my hm801 was bigger) and it does look a lot better in person than in pictures 

as for the sound. I'm off to Radio Shack now, while the ole Girl Charges to get the Cable I need, as I would really prefer not to listen to the Headphone Out, at least not until my MS1i get's here [my only 3.5mm terminated headphone]

LASTLY, :D I found my old iPod so I might do a comparison for schiits n giggles <3 

Oh good gawd, thing takes forever to freaking update the Media Data Base. I think it's scanning for ID3 Tags which is nice I guess, but the HM801 read the exact same card in like 20 seconds, Album Data an Artist Data some what organized. 

Music is playing, I'm not dissapointed, so that's good. Also holy CRAP the line out is freaking STRONG, jeeze I've got very little volume control on my PB2, lol and the PB2 is in Low Gain with no Buffers. But that's not a bad thing, a good strong Line Out gives the amp a little less to do I suppose, I'd like a little LESS head room though lol, as it's pretty stankin Loud at 9'o clock and at 9:30 oh crap that's heavy, at 10'o Clock, wow this is getting a little too loud... I might even be able to Drive the HE 4 on Low Gain out of the PB2 with the hm901 Line out 

So let's get to sound, sounds good! Dynamics are nice, mids are lovely... good and clean. Clean is the first word I'd say about the sound, that and the BASS oh boy the BASS. Good ole Hifiman House Sound BOTTOM end... MMM it's got all the kick of the hm801 with less decay, a much tighter bass for sure without losing any impact. 

I started with 
Dai Quing Tana & The Haya Band - Mirgration : Tara 

Details are good 

Oh yes yes yes yes YES, Same Album track entilted Gayatri... gettin goose bumps from these introductory lyrics... ooooh man, I'm convinced! Money Well spent. I'm going to start by saying, I don't think I'll ever buy another DAP. Like ever, the with HM901S Re Shell up n coming for us HM901 owners and the Tachi 2.0 UI, I think I'm good. PLUS this is a BRAND NEW FREAKING UNIT. I got my little Warrenty Card and EVERYTHING, stuck my warrenty card in the same Lock box I keep my Social Seceruity Card in! It's that important. 

Now let's move onto the Build Quality... it's not as bad as I was expecting, not as good as the HM801 imo. The scroll wheel feels really cheap, the buttons them selfs aren't to impressive, the UI responds to the Button input MUCH faster than the hm801 buttons, but overal it doesn't feel as nice as the HM801 did in the hand. But again we've got the HM901S upgrade to look forward to hopefully,  but I won't be dropping thing any time soon so it should be fine. That and my hm801 Internals were... getting old. So I'm pretty confident I can get 5+ years out of the hm901 [for the money I paid I damn well better] Some Pics [I'll put together an official review here shortly] 

Smaller than I was expecting, and Dan told me it was"clunky" pff 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back