DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Sep 1, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #736 of 2,125
Not sure if it's a hidden fact no one wishes to deal with or not.

All in one vs component pieces. One is one is isn't. Simple. My home rig kicks the AK240 around the planet...twice.
However it is not correct to compare. Never having heard the Hugo, I'm willing to believe it sounds better most of the time with the variables
being complimentary to it.

At this point in time NO STACK FOR ME so it's not relevant. In fact it does not belong in this comparison thread

I am afraid we have to agree to disagree on this point because Hugo is also a portable source component. Having said that, I also have the Ak240 and I agree with you that AK240 is a more complete package (UI, storage, form factor, etc.). It is a lifestyle choice whether people wants to carry a stack or not. The comparison is still valid especially when there are people before who used to believe an iDevice triple stack is way better than any DAP out there.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #737 of 2,125
IMO the Hugo comes into its own with acoustic music. That is where the difference is really noticed.

Almost entirely because I listen primarily with the Hugo, the HM901 and Calyx sound a bit "flat" in comparison. I suppose the AK240 too, but in a slightly different way.

Yes, the Hugo gives me as lifelike instrument as I ever heard and really shines with any music with live instruments - acoustic music is simply sublime, as is many unplugged pop album that had sounded flat/dull/boring with other DACs.

Has to also agree once getting spoiled by the Hugo's presentation, even the ak240 or hm901 does sound flat. It isn't really a difference in the amount of details, but more about the spatial cues and timbre provided by Hugo giving a very realistic and immersive listening experience.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #738 of 2,125
Yes, the Hugo gives me as lifelike instrument as I ever heard and really shines with any music with live instruments - acoustic music is simply sublime, as is many unplugged pop album that had sounded flat/dull/boring with other DACs.

Has to also agree once getting spoiled by the Hugo's presentation, even the ak240 or hm901 does sound flat. It isn't really a difference in the amount of details, but more about the spatial cues and timbre provided by Hugo giving a very realistic and immersive listening experience.

Hi kkcc,

Are you using 240 line out to Hugo or optical out (while on the go)?

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #740 of 2,125
Sep 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #741 of 2,125
Thanks Cosmic.

So it can't be used as a portable amp...that I need to rethink as the other DAP I have is th Tera and it only has line out.

dont we all want a portable transport in the size of Tera.
beerchug.gif

maybe one day we will

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #742 of 2,125

dont we all want a portable transport in the size of Tera.
beerchug.gif

maybe one day we will

As Tera has a high output impedance and the best result is to amp it and I'm now using Vorzuge Duo (uber interconnector cable) with good result.  Having read so much good stuff on Hugo (by the way, what is the Go?) and now probing into this to see if this is another gadget that worth acquire, again? OMG.

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #743 of 2,125
  As Tera has a high output impedance and the best result is to amp it and I'm now using Vorzuge Duo (uber interconnector cable) with good result.  Having read so much good stuff on Hugo (by the way, what is the Go?) and now probing into this to see if this is another gadget that worth acquire, again? OMG.

yesterday, you were in selling mode and now you are in buying mode... this board is really awesome LoL

the only DAP I have interest to own as well is the Calyx M because it has a different SS than the AK240/HM-901....well only if i can find one cheap...

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #744 of 2,125

yesterday, you were in selling mode and now you are in buying mode... this board is really awesome LoL

the only DAP I have interest to own as well is the Calyx M because it has a different SS than the AK240/HM-901....well only if i can find one cheap...

Hmmm...you have very good memory.

I'm just do window shopping and very unlikely will take the plunge for the Hugo (quite an investment though).  

Another alternate route is the RWAK the 240 and that might come close to Hugo with lesser investment & keep the size small and portable.  Any suggestions?

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #745 of 2,125

I'm just do window shopping and very unlikely will take the plunge for the Hugo (quite an investment though).  

Another alternate route is the RWAK the 240 and that might come close to Hugo with lesser investment & keep the size small and portable.  Any suggestions?

Wait for the Light Harmonic Geek Wave XD 128 to release?

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #747 of 2,125

do u have any particular problem to solve or u just want to spend some money? If just spend some money, I heard someone in Hong Kong modded a set of Siltech Double Crown for iem....  maybe fun!

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #748 of 2,125
Hi kkcc,

Are you using 240 line out to Hugo or optical out (while on the go)?

Optical. Today's nirvana:

There are only digital inputs - USBx2, coaxial, and optical.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #749 of 2,125
Optical. Today's nirvana:

There are only digital inputs - USBx2, coaxial, and optical.

What are these phones?

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #750 of 2,125
What are these phones?

JH13FP... my tralucent gold/silver cable is with Gavin for retermination so have to make do with these for now as my 1plus2 just doesn't sound right with any other cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back